/bin/tar: /dev/nst0: Warning: Cannot close: Input/output error

/bin/tar: /dev/nst0: Warning: Cannot close: Input/output error

Post by David YEUN » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 10:12:32

I am using 'tar' to backup files to tape using a SCSI tape drive but something
I got the error message:

    /dev/nst0: Warning: Cannot close: Input/output error

Does anyone know why this happen? Is it the drive problem or the tape problem (corrupted tape)?

I am using RedHat 6.2.

Thanks

david

Post by Juergen Hein » Sat, 14 Jul 2001 06:07:15

> I am using 'tar' to backup files to tape using a SCSI tape drive but something
> I got the error message:

>     /dev/nst0: Warning: Cannot close: Input/output error

> Does anyone know why this happen? Is it the drive problem or the tape
> problem (corrupted tape)?

[-]
disclaimer -- cannot tell for sure. Still, since /dev/nst0 is, to
tar, "just" a file and so it needs to call close(2) I'd suspect
a tape (drive) problem since this system call cannot fail for lots
of reasons.

Some things I'd do ...
dmesg - any messages from the driver
tape  - try a different one
dirt  - does the drive need some cleaning and some, like this here,
        can warn you with a certain sequence of blinking of its
        LEDs and using a vacuum cleaner is helpful to get rid of any
        dust.

Hope it helps,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Juergen Heinzl                \       no flames      /