dosemu and warcraft II?

Post by Gregg Jense » Tue, 10 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I have seen messages in this group, saying that they had Warcraft
II running in dosemu.  So, I got the latest stable (0.98.2) version of
dosemu and with warcraft II installed on my windows 95 partition tried
to get it to work.  I have been able to get the very first entry screen
and then the menu, but "it" (the game) does not recogonize that the CD
is in the drive.  dosemu does.  I can switch to the drive and look at
the files on the CD, but Warcraft refuses to see it.  I have tried a few
different ways to get the cdrom to be visible within dosemu, from
mounting the drive and then using emusys /cdrom in config.sys, to not
mounting it and using emusys  and mscdex to specify the drive letter to
putting the cdrom option in the dosemu.conf.   Is there something else
that can be done?  Any one that has this running, could you send me your
dosemu.conf for comparison, maybe I have some other setting wrong that
could be affecting this?

Gregg Jensen

dosemu and warcraft II?

Post by ?yvin » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I have seen messages in this group, saying that they had Warcraft
> II running in dosemu.  So, I got the latest stable (0.98.2) version of
> dosemu and with warcraft II installed on my windows 95 partition tried
> to get it to work.  I have been able to get the very first entry screen
> and then the menu, but "it" (the game) does not recogonize that the CD
> is in the drive.  dosemu does.  I can switch to the drive and look at
> the files on the CD, but Warcraft refuses to see it.  I have tried a few
> different ways to get the cdrom to be visible within dosemu, from
> mounting the drive and then using emusys /cdrom in config.sys, to not
> mounting it and using emusys  and mscdex to specify the drive letter to
> putting the cdrom option in the dosemu.conf.   Is there something else
> that can be done?  Any one that has this running, could you send me your
> dosemu.conf for comparison, maybe I have some other setting wrong that
> could be affecting this?

Does dosemu see the cd-rom as the same letter (i.e. X:\) as the windows
machine?

If not ... warcraft can't find it ...

?yvind

dosemu and warcraft II?

Post by Gregg Jense » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> > I have seen messages in this group, saying that they had Warcraft
> > II running in dosemu.  ... Any one that has this running, could you send
> me your
> > dosemu.conf for comparison, maybe I have some other setting wrong that
> > could be affecting this?

> Does dosemu see the cd-rom as the same letter (i.e. X:\) as the windows
> machine?

> If not ... warcraft can't find it ...

Yes, I have it so the drive letters are the same (warcraft on d: and the
cdrom on e:) as on the windows side.

Gregg

dosemu and warcraft II?

Post by Ross Vandegrif » Mon, 16 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I have seen messages in this group, saying that they had Warcraft
> II running in dosemu.  So, I got the latest stable (0.98.2) version of
> dosemu and with warcraft II installed on my windows 95 partition tried
> to get it to work.  I have been able to get the very first entry screen
> and then the menu, but "it" (the game) does not recogonize that the CD
> is in the drive.  dosemu does.  I can switch to the drive and look at
> the files on the CD, but Warcraft refuses to see it.  I have tried a few
> different ways to get the cdrom to be visible within dosemu, from
> mounting the drive and then using emusys /cdrom in config.sys, to not
> mounting it and using emusys  and mscdex to specify the drive letter to
> putting the cdrom option in the dosemu.conf.   Is there something else
> that can be done?  Any one that has this running, could you send me your
> dosemu.conf for comparison, maybe I have some other setting wrong that
> could be affecting this?

> Gregg Jensen

This probably has to do with Warcraft II.  A friend and I tried to copy
all of Warcraft II to a 650MB partition on his harddrive, and install it
from there.  It didn't work.  I checked to make sure it was all set up,
but Warcraft somehow detected that it wasn't the CD.  I imagine some
incompatibility/compatibility of dosemu is invoking this problem on your
system.
        However, you might try reinstalling WII under dosemu for kicks.  Might
do something.

--
Ross Vandegrift | Eric J. Fenderson

"Man, I've been working in a retirement home WAY too long."
        --Todd Presson

dosemu and warcraft II?

Post by Gregg Jense » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

... warcraft not seeing cdrom in dosemu

Quote:

> > I have seen messages in this group, saying that they had Warcraft
> > II running in dosemu.  So, I got the latest stable (0.98.2) version of

> This probably has to do with Warcraft II.  A friend and I tried to copy
>         However, you might try reinstalling WII under dosemu for kicks.  Might
> do something.

Thanks for the tip.  I got quite a bit of help from Gerrit Visser (THANKS
Gerrit!), and finally got it working last night.  There were several problems,
but the main one was changing the hdimage.first to be created from my windows 95
partition, RATHER then  from an actual DOS 6.22 floppy.  Then to make sure sound
was turned off, I finally have it working.

Gregg

dosemu and warcraft II?

Post by Mark Anda » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> ... warcraft not seeing cdrom in dosemu

> > > I have seen messages in this group, saying that they had Warcraft
> > > II running in dosemu.  So, I got the latest stable (0.98.2) version of

> > This probably has to do with Warcraft II.  A friend and I tried to copy
> >         However, you might try reinstalling WII under dosemu for kicks.  Might
> > do something.

> Thanks for the tip.  I got quite a bit of help from Gerrit Visser (THANKS
> Gerrit!), and finally got it working last night.  There were several problems,
> but the main one was changing the hdimage.first to be created from my windows 95
> partition, RATHER then  from an actual DOS 6.22 floppy.  Then to make sure sound
> was turned off, I finally have it working.

> Gregg

  I know when I have a few other projects done I'm going to want to set up WarCraft
II on my home
computer.  If you write a small how-to and post it somewhere I'd appreciate it
immensely plus I'm
sure I'm not the only one who would be interested.

dosemu and warcraft II?

Post by Gerrit Visse » Sat, 21 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> > I have seen messages in this group, saying that they had Warcraft
> > II running in dosemu.  So, I got the latest stable (0.98.2) version of
> > dosemu and with warcraft II installed on my windows 95 partition tried
> > to get it to work.  I have been able to get the very first entry screen
> > and then the menu, but "it" (the game) does not recogonize that the CD
> > is in the drive.  dosemu does.  I can switch to the drive and look at
> > the files on the CD, but Warcraft refuses to see it.

> This probably has to do with Warcraft II.  A friend and I tried to copy
> all of Warcraft II to a 650MB partition on his harddrive, and install it
> from there.  It didn't work.  I checked to make sure it was all set up,
> but Warcraft somehow detected that it wasn't the CD.  I imagine some
> incompatibility/compatibility of dosemu is invoking this problem on your
> system.
>         However, you might try reinstalling WII under dosemu for kicks.  Might
> do something.

Most of the problems of Running Warcraft II seems to come from the problem that
the game doesn't recognize
the cdrom as a CDROM. Warcraft checks to see whether the drive is a cdrom drive,
and won't start if it is not. That is why running it from the HD doesn't work. A
trick that worked under DOS was to use "fakecd", a program that mounted some
directory as a cdrom, and tricking dos into believing it. The problem I had when I
tried it under dosemu, was that my mouse wanted to use the same IRQ as fakecd.
Thus, the game would recognize the CD, but I couldn't play.

My first tries all came up against this. Then, I found that the trick is as
follows (It doesn't require fakecd):
    1. Unmount the cdrom under linux
    2. Enable cdrom usage in dosemu.conf
    3. Start Dosemu
    4. Edit the config.sys in the boot directory of dosemu to include the
following:
            device=c:\cdrom.sys
        This file should be in the directory where dosemu boot up in.
    5. Copy the mscdex.exe file from your Dos disk onto the startup "drive" for
dosemu. (c:\)
    6. Add the following to autoexec.bat
            c:\mscdex /d:mscd0001 /l:e
        This mounts the cdrom exactly as if you mounted it under dos. (as drive
e:\)
    7. Exit dosemu, and restart dosemu.

A few things that might help further:
    When I tried to use the mouse driver from linux, the program hangs after
running for a couple of seconds,
    or even a couple of minutes. Removing the mouse support in dosemu.conf, but
allowing dos to use the
    IRQ/com port of the mouse, and then using the dos mouse driver that comes with
the mouse helped solve
    the problem. ( I still don't know if it was this, or some other problem in my
dosemu.conf which caused this
    lockup).
    Gregg Jensen also pointed out that he had problems running WC 2 until he
disabled sound support in
    dosemu.conf.

I'll see if I can write a small Get-Warcraft2-Working-Under-Linux help file this
weekend, and post it on monday.

Gerrit Visser

1. DOSEMU: Warcraft II?

Hi All,

Has anybody gotten Warcraft II to work in xdos? How about in console
mode? In xdos I only get as far as the 'Blizzard' intro screen but after
that the video screws up. Is there a particular video config line in
dosemu.conf which fixes this? How about sound, any success there?
I configured dosemu.conf with my sound card settings but Warcraft Setup
still doesn't recognize a sound card.

Any success stories would be much appreciated!.
Thanks,
ken.

2. Shell Mailing List

3. Warcraft II under dosemu

4. read_real_time in the kernel

5. Announcing XPudview ver 0.1 for viewing Warcraft II PUD files

6. QIC-02 problems under v0.

7. warcraft II

8. Install problems with Satan

9. OS 10.1.5, Warcraft II and the amazing Read Only File System

10. Warcraft under DOSemu! hey it's cool!

11. Warcraft and DOSEMU?

12. Warcraft II under linux

13. Matrox Mystique ands X.