Real-Time task vs. device driver vs. sched_setscheduler?

Real-Time task vs. device driver vs. sched_setscheduler?

Post by Robert W. Brew » Tue, 18 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I'm new to the idea of real-time operations, and I notice
that Linux supports "soft" real-time via sched_setscheduler()
and "hard" real-time via the RT-Linux kernel patches.

I'd greatly appreciate if someone could discuss the tradeoffs among
using a kernel device driver, the RT-Linux extensions, and the
sched_setscheduler() calls for a given application.  How would I know
what is a good match to an application?  Or would applications use
several of those methods together?  The examples I've seen for
RT-Linux sound like things that a device driver should handle.  Why
not use device drivers instead?  Or should the suggestion given in one
of the RT-Linux papers be followed: rewrite the time-dependent device
drivers as RT tasks?

Also, has anyone measured the maximum interrupt latency for RT-Linux?

Thanks for any insights.

-Rob
--
Robert W. Brewer

1. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

        Every machine and operating system has got its useful
purpose...

        I see no point in argueing with people which OS is better, and
which is worse, and what will survive and what wont...

        The bottom line is obviously the best OS is the one that make
the end user most productive.    Ive used quite a variety of software
from intel, ibm, MS, sun, GNU, DEC/compaq, etc,   and everything OS
has got its UPz and DOWnz, so depending on what you want to do with it
yer machine, probably determines what OS you run.

        So lets cut to the chase -  OS bashing is a waste of time,
and most of the time I'd say the person putting it down just hasn't
seen that particular OS's potential,  or should I say speciality....

      Hell,  Plan 9 has even got some interesting features.. <snicker>

       And all PC users know,  that no matter what use on a day to day
basis on the PC, that one day you will need to boot good ole ancient
DOS to do something...

2. 4.2.1 How to log ftp actions

3. real-time vs. user-time

4. Themes.org -- Linux/X goodies...

5. low-level development: Windows variants vs. Linux, embedded vs. device driver

6. Red Hat LILO

7. Perfomance: tar vs ftp vs rsync vs cp vs ?

8. In need of help

9. Slackware vs SuSE vs Debian vs Redhat vs ....

10. DOS vs. Windows vs. Mac vs. Unix vs. NS

11. KDE vs. Openlook vs. Xfree86 vs. MetroX vs. CDE

12. Real-Time Linux and a/d/ Device Driver

13. Redhat vs Debian vs Yggdrasil vs Caldera vs ...