where can I find the soft-float library for i386 linux?

where can I find the soft-float library for i386 linux?

Post by Cao Hongji » Mon, 12 May 2003 17:27:13

When compiling a program using gcc with the option "-msoft-float", I got the
following error messages at the linking stage:
global.o(.text+0x1b54): undefined reference to `__floatsidf'
global.o(.text+0x1b7c): undefined reference to `__divdf3'
I think that I need a soft-float library for i386. Could anybody please tell
me where can I find one?

where can I find the soft-float library for i386 linux?

Post by Juha Laih » Mon, 12 May 2003 19:07:01

Quote:>When compiling a program using gcc with the option "-msoft-float", I got the
>following error messages at the linking stage:
>global.o(.text+0x1b54): undefined reference to `__floatsidf'
>global.o(.text+0x1b7c): undefined reference to `__divdf3'
>I think that I need a soft-float library for i386. Could anybody please tell
>me where can I find one?

You shouldn't need one -- instead, make sure your kernel is compiled with
math emulation enabled. This'll handle everything "behind the scenes" -
your applications can safely include math instructions.
--
Wolf  a.k.a.  Juha Laiho     Espoo, Finland

where can I find the soft-float library for i386 linux?

Post by Cao Hongji » Mon, 12 May 2003 19:56:54

Quote:> >I think that I need a soft-float library for i386. Could anybody please
tell
> >me where can I find one?

> You shouldn't need one -- instead, make sure your kernel is compiled with
> math emulation enabled. This'll handle everything "behind the scenes" -
> your applications can safely include math instructions.

Thanks for the reply. But what I need is not to run the progam correctly but
to build the program completely in integer instructions, so I have to invoke

Post by Juha Laih » Tue, 13 May 2003 02:32:00

>> >I think that I need a soft-float library for i386. Could anybody please
>tell
>> >me where can I find one?

>> You shouldn't need one -- instead, make sure your kernel is compiled with
>> math emulation enabled. This'll handle everything "behind the scenes" -
>> your applications can safely include math instructions.

>Thanks for the reply. But what I need is not to run the progam correctly but
>to build the program completely in integer instructions, so I have to invoke
>gcc with the option "-msoft-float".

In that case I don't have direct help. What might be possible would be to
go through the FPU emulation parts in the Linux kernel and build a library
based on that research.

Hope someone else here can recommend a ready-made gcc-compatible math
library for you.
--
Wolf  a.k.a.  Juha Laiho     Espoo, Finland

1. Compiling Linux from sources using soft-float?

We develop a product that has to run on many operating systems and
architectures, most of them Unix/Linux. We will do a port to an
embedded PowerPC Linux, probably HardHat Linux.

Problem is that we don't want to cross compile and that we want to
make it part of our automatic daily build and test. The best would be
if we could build and test on a PowerMac running Linux, not on
the target card.

Problem is the target embedded card will not contain an FPU and it will
probably run an Linux compiled with soft-float, i.e. no FPU emulation
in the kernel. So the question is, can I install LinuxPPC on one
partition on a PowerMac, build a copy of it from sources into another
partition using soft-float and the ABI used by HardHat and reboot on
the new partition? In effect run on a processor that has an FPU but
not use it?

Another solution to the testing but not avoiding cross compiling is
that someone has written a loader for the other ABI that emulates the
Linux with soft-float. I'm not that familiar with Linux but on FreeBSD
I can run Linux binaries transparently, the loader will handle
emulation of system calls and shared libraries are fetched from
"/usr/compat/linux/...". If there was something similar on Linux I
could run soft-float binaries on an ordinary LinuxPPC distribution.

kent

2. RPM question

3. Float math library for Linux i386

4. PC-CDROM Driver?

5. RH6.0 - i386-glibc20-linux-gcc or i386-redhat-linux-gcc

6. Help for configure 2 Tape Drives for SCO UNIX

7. Build U-Boot with soft floating point - help!

8. Help! How to setup passwd aging example please?

9. Downloading RH7...So many types: 7.0-i386...7.0-i386-respin...7.0-ja-i386

10. elf32-i386 and a.out-i386-linux

11. tcsh HOSTTYPE i386-linux, should be i386?

12. tcsh HOSTTYPE is i386-linux, should be i386?

13. how do I find out what shared libraries and static libraries a program depends on?