Alpha Centauri clone and comp.os.linux.development.apps?

Alpha Centauri clone and comp.os.linux.development.apps?

Post by Philip W. Darnows » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Does anyone know if there's an effort underway to clone Alpha Centauri for
Linux, a la Freeciv? I have searched Freshmeat and Happypenguin with no
results.

I'd also like to get an idea of how people would feel about the creation
of comp.os.linux.development.games, which I think there is a viable niche
for.

Remove spam, eggs, bacon, spam, and dot to reply.

The human brain is a remarkable organ: it begins
working the moment you wake up, and does not stop
until you get to the office.

Alpha Centauri clone and comp.os.linux.development.apps?

Post by Matthew Palm » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Philip W. Darnowsky is of the opinion:

Quote:>I'd also like to get an idea of how people would feel about the creation
>of comp.os.linux.development.games, which I think there is a viable niche
>for.

I don't program much in the way of games, but I think that might be a good
idea.  The concepts required for programming games are often different to
those required for "regular" applications.

#include <disclaimer.h> | GE/CS d- s+:+ a--- C++(+++)>$ UL+++ P+ L++ !E
Matthew Palmer          | W-- N++ o? K- w--(---) O- M-(--) V? PS+ PE Y+

Alpha Centauri clone and comp.os.linux.development.apps?

Post by Christopher Brow » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

On Wed, 04 Aug 1999 18:22:54 GMT, Philip W. Darnowsky

>Does anyone know if there's an effort underway to clone Alpha Centauri for
>Linux, a la Freeciv? I have searched Freshmeat and Happypenguin with no
>results.

I have heard rumors that the real thing may get ported, but that's
another story...

Quote:>I'd also like to get an idea of how people would feel about the creation
>of comp.os.linux.development.games, which I think there is a viable niche
>for.

You might want to start with a mailing list, thereby having a bit
better control over things like spam, and look at some of the existing
tools, such as DGA <http://www.planet.net/parajoshv/jugl.html>,
SDL <http://www.devolution.com/~slouken/SDL/> and the like.

Note that the folks at Loki that have been doing commercial game ports
have based their software on SDL.

I'd suggest starting with a mailing list, as that allows the
administrator to filter out spam, trolls, and other "threats to useful
discussion."
--
Would-be National Mottos:
Switzerland: "You wouldn't hit a country that's neutral, would you?"

Alpha Centauri clone and comp.os.linux.development.apps?

Post by Craig Stewar » Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:00:00

If you do start a mailing list, this might be a good place to let people know
about it

Post by Philip W. Darnows » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

: On Wed, 04 Aug 1999 18:22:54 GMT, Philip W. Darnowsky
: >Does anyone know if there's an effort underway to clone Alpha Centauri for
: >Linux, a la Freeciv? I have searched Freshmeat and Happypenguin with no
: >results.

: I have heard rumors that the real thing may get ported, but that's
: another story...

I wrote to Lokisoft asking them to confirm or deny, but haven't got a
response yet.  It is, of course, possible that some other company may do
so.  In the meantime, I've started writing one of my own just for the hell
of it.  I'll make code available and solicit developers when (a) I've got
enough written myself to make it worthwhile, (b) Lokisoft answers in the
negative or does not deign to answer, and (c) I get some RL issues
straightened out, thus freeing up a lot of time.

Incidentally, I got my copy of Civ:CTP last night.  An excellent game, but
some of the colors (on menus and such) look screwy.  Has anyone else had
this problem? I'm using RedHat 6.0, with Windowmaker (forget what version)
over XFree86 (3.3.4, I believe), and no other X apps going apart from the
dock.  Colors in the map (terrain and units and such) look all right.

Remove spam, eggs, bacon, spam, and dot to reply.

The human brain is a remarkable organ: it begins
working the moment you wake up, and does not stop
until you get to the office.

Alpha Centauri clone and comp.os.linux.development.apps?

Post by Chris Mahmoo » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

[snipped Alpha Centauri stuff]
Quote:

> Incidentally, I got my copy of Civ:CTP last night.  An excellent game, but
> some of the colors (on menus and such) look screwy.  Has anyone else had
> this problem? I'm using RedHat 6.0, with Windowmaker (forget what version)
> over XFree86 (3.3.4, I believe), and no other X apps going apart from the
> dock.  Colors in the map (terrain and units and such) look all right.

Screwy like running out of colors kind of screwy?  When I play CTP I
usual just start it from .xinitrc without a window manager--this may
help your color problem if that's what it is.
-ckm

1. Start developing applications,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps

I want to really learn how to write good applications under Linux, but
I'm not sure where to begin.  I have a background in C++ from way back
-- Borland C++ 3.5 for MS-DOS AND 4.0 for Win 3.x, but I'm not sure
where to begin in Linux.

I use so many applications written by folks like me who just found a
need for the app and wrote it... I want to do this and contribute as
well.

I'm looking for books, websites, tips and ideas, or any resource which
would help me do this.  I'd like to use C++ and write apps for X and
eventually get into writing network apps.

Thanks for any info or help.

Keegan.

2. Lantronix LEA-I2T supported

3. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.misc, comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.networking

4. GNOME

5. comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.tools.mfc,comp.lang.java.databases,comp.os.parix,comp.os.linux.embedded,comp.soft-sys.shazam

6. unix+novell

7. alt.linux,alt.comp.linux.isp,alt.computer.security,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.security

8. Setup Quota in Slackware Linux 1.1.0

9. comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup

10. comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup

11. Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc

12. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.questions, comp.os.linux.misc

13. comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking