WWW server on Linux accessing Novell Network for home pages.

WWW server on Linux accessing Novell Network for home pages.

Post by A.J. Garsi » Sat, 04 Mar 1995 22:49:59

My college is considering setting up a www server for the college. If I could
show that the linux machine I am setting could run the web server and able to
access students home pages on the novell network, then the college might buy more
memory for my machine (which it desparately needs) instead of a dedicated
computer, and everyones happy. Does anyone have any experience of doing this or
anything similar that could help me out. For a start, is it possible?

Adrian.

Memorial Court,
Clare College,
Cambridge,
CB3 9AJ.

Post by Mike Meredi » Tue, 07 Mar 1995 19:59:03

: My college is considering setting up a www server for the college. If I could
: show that the linux machine I am setting could run the web server and able to
: access students home pages on the novell network, then the college might buy more
: memory for my machine (which it desparately needs) instead of a dedicated
: computer, and everyones happy. Does anyone have any experience of doing this or
: anything similar that could help me out. For a start, is it possible?

: Adrian.

Yes, but you would need Novell NFS, and Novell TCP/IP running on the NetWare
server.

: --
: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

: Memorial Court,
: Clare College,
: Cambridge,
: CB3 9AJ.
: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike Meredith   Site Support Programmer/Unix System Administrator

Phone:          0705 84-2517

Post by Adam Tilghm » Wed, 08 Mar 1995 04:13:32

>: My college is considering setting up a www server for the college. If I could
>: show that the linux machine I am setting could run the web server and able to
>: access home pages on the novell network, then the college might buy more

>Yes, but you would need Novell NFS, and Novell TCP/IP running on the NetWare
>server.

        Isn't it also possible to set up a DOS machine running
Novell client software and an NFS server, and have the Linux box
remote-mount files from the DOS machine's NFS server?  I've
heard of several people doing this.

        I also remember somebody talking about running all this
under DOSEMU -- but that would require a certain psychosis
I don't seem to possess :-)

                -- Adam

--
Adam G. Tilghman | email:              | voice:          | Rng FCNZ naq yvir.

Post by A.J. Garsi » Thu, 09 Mar 1995 20:57:59

> >: My college is considering setting up a www server for the college. If I could
> >: show that the linux machine I am setting could run the web server and able to
> >: access home pages on the novell network, then the college might buy more

> >Yes, but you would need Novell NFS, and Novell TCP/IP running on the NetWare
> >server.

The file server in question is already running TCP/IP and possibly NFS (if not
then I may be able to convince the computer officer to set it up). I haven't seen
the guy for a while (god knows what he's paid for doing ....)

Quote:>    Isn't it also possible to set up a DOS machine running
> Novell client software and an NFS server, and have the Linux box
> remote-mount files from the DOS machine's NFS server?  I've
> heard of several people doing this.

Sounds plausible, but then you have to have the dedicated DOS machine for linux to
use. I am trying to get the computer officer to let me run the WWW server on the
linux machine and buy me more memory instead of a dedicated WWW computer (He
doesn't want to run the WWW server on the fileserver itself due to the performance
reduction). And then everyone's happy ... (at least that's the plan).

Quote:>    I also remember somebody talking about running all this
> under DOSEMU -- but that would require a certain psychosis
> I don't seem to possess :-)

Sounds * ....

Quote:>            -- Adam

Adrian

Memorial Court,
Clare College,
Cambridge,
CB3 9AJ.

1. Novell Netware WWW Servers versus Linux WWW Servers

Hi,
  could you please consider this posting on behalf of a colleague :

        Does any one have experience with Novell Netware  WEB servers, e.g.
        Sitebuilder ?
        Are they stable, do they properly support modern WWW facilities, such as
        CGI, SSI?
        Unless I provide my college with strong reasons in favour of a Linux
        based WWW server, they will switch to a Novell Netware based one, due to
        the lack of Unix expertise within the college.
        I will be most grateful for any advise on this matter.

        Persephoni

        Dr Persephoni Karaolani, Senior Lecturer, I.T. Department,
        Liverpool Hope University College, Woolton Road,

Thanks in advance.

                        Paul

Paul Hazlewood
Research Assisstant
I.T. Department,
Liverpool Hope University College, Woolton Road,
Liverpool L16 8ND

2. DOSEMU and Windows

3. WWW: Linux Internet Service Provider Home Page

4. CU to Beeper

5. SECURITY/WWW: The Linux Security Home Page

6. Quake2 on PPC

7. linux /www server/novell 3.12

8. Dial In Problem

9. WWW: linux for starters WWW-page

10. LOCAL/WWW: Czech Linux WWW page

11. Multi-homed WWW Server - Linux 1.3.8

12. GNU WWW home page mirrored in Germany

13. ViaCrypt WWW Home Page