Broadcast message on local subnet

Post by Liam » Wed, 02 May 2001 06:41:58

Hello,
I'm writing this fault tolerant/redundant app that needs to
be able to identify if any other instances of it's self are running
on the local subnet and discover the names of the hosts.
How can I send a broadcast message out to determine if
the app is running on any other hosts on the local subnet?

Cheers Alan

Post by eric » Wed, 02 May 2001 12:18:35

> Hello,
> I'm writing this fault tolerant/redundant app that needs to
> be able to identify if any other instances of it's self are running
> on the local subnet and discover the names of the hosts.
> How can I send a broadcast message out to determine if
> the app is running on any other hosts on the local subnet?

> Cheers Alan

Same as you would a normal message except use the broadcast address for
your local net (usually the last ip in the subnet is the broadcast
address).

example 192.168.1.255 would be the broadcast address for 192.168.1.0/24
(class c)

You just need your app to have a tcp/ip or udp/ip socket open and
listening on the port you are broadcasting to.

Eric

1. Q: Broadcast message to users of a subnet

Hello,

I want to send a message to the users logged in at my NIS/NFS-Server at
a certain time.
I believe I could solve the timing problem with cron, but how do I

    a.    get a list of the machines/users logged in via NIS/NFS
    b.    write a message to these users  - preferably on every
terminal.

Any ideas would be more than helpful,

TIA

Patric

2. problems copying files from Win95 partition to linux

3. Broadcasting on 24 subnet

4. ATI Mach64 story?

5. Broadcast across subnets

6. CD burning errors

7. Could broadcast frames in MAC layer be passed cross subnet?

8. Question on IRC and installation of eggdrops...

9. Firewall, Solaris 2.5, subnets and broadcasts

10. Distinguish subnets when listening for broadcasts?

11. How to get host's subnet mask or net address for broadcast sockets?

12. Subnets VLANs and Broadcasts

13. Routing to IP subnet broadcast address