1. Mini-Linux Distribution Questions + General Questions + UMSDOS Questions
Basically I have recently installed the Mini-Linux distribution (from
sunsite.unc.edu) on my box (486 66, 12Mb, Limited HDD space), and it
works and installs fine, runs fine.... Great I thought, lets install
on several other PC's - Install on another 486d266 - won't even start
- LOADLIN doesn't even begin decompressing the kernal......
Then try a 486dx4100, this time it decompresses kernal and starts
linux startup, and comes up with a HDD sector size too big (its a
544Mb drive) and says "Giving up"..... Linux doesn't start at all.
Anyone else got an experience with this (the mini-linux distribution
is 1.0.9 kernal I think)
Next On the PC that mini-linux runs on, X won't start - cannot start
my graphics card (its an Advance Logic card, Vesa compatible). Anyone
know how to fix this?
I run mini-linux for several reasons, the main one being the lack of
HDD space (I have 20Mb free without mini-linux, 0.5Mb with), howver I
have heard that the latest distributions include UMSDOS, so now onto
the UMSDOS questions:
Which kernal works best with UMSDOS, and will fit in 20Mb, with the
majority of data residing on CD?
Do the latest linux kernals support a SB16 and panasonic double speed
CD? Also are NEC drives supported (a mate has one of these)
Basically I cannot delete my DOS partition, as my family cannot use
linux to save their lives, and love MS word, so I need UMSDOS, so both
can happily reside on one partition (I don't want to partition)
Also does UMSDOS have any problem booting off a d: drive (I am
installing another 100Mb drive to try to alleviate the space problem)
Right thats it......
Thanks for your help and I apologize for the bad spelling in some
places (my software don't spell check).
IMPORTANT: My news feed is knackered, so can replyies be by mail as
well as news please?
Dan (Linux newbie)
2. USB port ?
3. Questions, questions questions
4. IE dorked my Ultra 5
5. 3 issues --- 1-Gnome Question, 2-CDRom Detect Question, 3-IMLIB Question
6. Private tld ?
7. Questions Questions Questions ???
8. Where to find tclX package for Solaris x86?
9. Questions, Questions, and more Questions..
10. 3 issues --- 1-Gnome Question, 2-CDRom Detect Question, 3-IMLIB Question
11. Newbie Questions (ICEWM Background, ppp question, mem > 64mb)
12. sar Question (probably a newbie question)
13. A followup question to "A C question (about strlen)"