USB Programming

Post by David Robert » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 23:09:27

I want to write a linux client for file transfer to/from my USB portable mp3
player.  Can someone point me towards the best source of info on USB APIs
etc. for Linux?

This player is a DVR JWM-610 and the only existing software for it is
proprietary and not very good (also Windows only).  The problem is it will
probably be a nightmare to figure out the commands etc. which it accepts.
Any advice on USB hacking/testing tools would also be appreciated!

Dave.

USB Programming

Post by Sybren Stuve » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 23:33:10

David Roberts enlightened us with:

Quote:> I want to write a linux client for file transfer to/from my USB portable mp3
> player.  Can someone point me towards the best source of info on USB APIs
> etc. for Linux?

Tried www.linux-usb.org already?

Sybren

USB Programming

Post by Pete Zaitce » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 03:00:20

> I want to write a linux client for file transfer to/from my USB portable mp3
> player.  Can someone point me towards the best source of info on USB APIs
> etc. for Linux?

Google for "libusb". The libusb works through so-called "usbdevfs",
but I didn't hear anyone being limited by it and going down to kernel
boundary API.

Quote:> This player is a DVR JWM-610 and the only existing software for it is
> proprietary and not very good (also Windows only).  The problem is it will
> probably be a nightmare to figure out the commands etc. which it accepts.
> Any advice on USB hacking/testing tools would also be appreciated!

It can be done, for example Rio MP-500 & MP-600 are supported entirely
by reverse-engineering. But it's not guaranteed.

Your best tool is so-called "snoopy". You run it on Windows and trace
USB bus activity. Google it.

-- Pete