Library function documentation

Post by donaldcr.. » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Is there a resource that details the various functions of the standard g++
library?
In the past I have programmed in Delphi and found most of what I needed
in the help files when I wanted to do something new to me. My question
therefore, as I am new to C++ , is where do I search for those magic
functions that I know must exist but cannot locate? So far I have been
trying to grep in the various directories for hints but this seems a bit hit
and miss - as does hunting around the libg++ info file.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks.

Post by Bruce Stephen » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Is there a resource that details the various functions of the standard g++
> library?

What do you mean by "standard g++ library"?

Quote:> In the past I have programmed in Delphi and found most of what I
> needed in the help files when I wanted to do something new to me.

Delphi is probably different---it's (I guess) a largely closed
environment where although you *can* access lots of stuff outside
Delphi (in COMs or whatever), for the most part you don't need to.

That's not so for g++.  If you want to do GUI design, or whatever,
then you won't be using the standard g++ library (a term which isn't
really as clearcut as it might seem), because there's no GUI stuff in
there.

Quote:> My question therefore, as I am new to C++ , is where do I search for
> those magic functions that I know must exist but cannot locate?

Depends what it is.  The really standard stuff is described in the
relevant sections of ISO/IEC 14882, and g++-2.95.2 covers quite a bit
of that (enough to be getting on with, although not all of it).  The
important bits, like iostream and STL will be described in many C++
books; probably also in packages you can install (for example, Debian
provides the stl-manual package).

iostream and STL provide input/output, containers, and algorithms on
those containers.  So you can read in files containing numbers into a
vector and sort them, for example.

For GUI stuff, you'll need to look at and choose some library.  Qt and
Gtk+ are the currently popular ones; others are available.  For
textual interfaces (clearing a terminal window, for example), you'll
need to look at curses.

For detailed access to the system (for finding when a file was last
modified, for example), you'll want to use standard C functions,
described in the documentation for libc.

For other stuff (databases, for example) you'll need to look somewhere
else again.

Quote:> So far I have been trying to grep in the various directories for
> hints but this seems a bit hit and miss - as does hunting around the
> libg++ info file.  Any suggestions would be welcome.  Thanks.

libg++ is quite significantly obsoleted by the Standard C++ library.
If you're using g++-2.95.2 (and you probably want to be), then you
probably want to ignore libg++.

Library function documentation

Post by Joe Grainge » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

oh and if you want really cool online docs, perl is a good bet

> Is there a resource that details the various functions of the standard g++
> library?
> In the past I have programmed in Delphi and found most of what I needed
> in the help files when I wanted to do something new to me. My question
> therefore, as I am new to C++ , is where do I search for those magic
> functions that I know must exist but cannot locate? So far I have been
> trying to grep in the various directories for hints but this seems a bit hit
> and miss - as does hunting around the libg++ info file.
> Any suggestions would be welcome.
> Thanks.

Library function documentation

Post by Garen Erdois » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

You might take a look at:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/onlinedocs/gxxint_toc.html

It looks like it may contain at least some of the information you are
searching for.

Quote:> Is there a resource that details the various functions of the standard g++

Post by Andreas Rottman » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> > Is there a resource that details the various functions of the standard g++
> > library?

> What do you mean by "standard g++ library"?

> > In the past I have programmed in Delphi and found most of what I
> > needed in the help files when I wanted to do something new to me.

> Delphi is probably different---it's (I guess) a largely closed
> environment where although you *can* access lots of stuff outside
> Delphi (in COMs or whatever), for the most part you don't need to.

> That's not so for g++.  If you want to do GUI design, or whatever,
> then you won't be using the standard g++ library (a term which isn't
> really as clearcut as it might seem), because there's no GUI stuff in
> there.

But you can also have a need for other stuff than GUI in an GUI app...

Quote:> > My question therefore, as I am new to C++ , is where do I search for
> > those magic functions that I know must exist but cannot locate?

> Depends what it is.  The really standard stuff is described in the
> relevant sections of ISO/IEC 14882, and g++-2.95.2 covers quite a bit
> of that (enough to be getting on with, although not all of it).  The
> important bits, like iostream and STL will be described in many C++
> books; probably also in packages you can install (for example, Debian
> provides the stl-manual package).

> iostream and STL provide input/output, containers, and algorithms on
> those containers.  So you can read in files containing numbers into a
> vector and sort them, for example.

> For GUI stuff, you'll need to look at and choose some library.  Qt and
> Gtk+ are the currently popular ones; others are available.  For
> textual interfaces (clearing a terminal window, for example), you'll
> need to look at curses.

> For detailed access to the system (for finding when a file was last
> modified, for example), you'll want to use standard C functions,
> described in the documentation for libc.

> For other stuff (databases, for example) you'll need to look somewhere
> else again.

I suggest you look at GQL.sourceforge.net - I need some beat-testers
anyway...

Quote:> > So far I have been trying to grep in the various directories for
> > hints but this seems a bit hit and miss - as does hunting around the
> > libg++ info file.  Any suggestions would be welcome.  Thanks.

> libg++ is quite significantly obsoleted by the Standard C++ library.
> If you're using g++-2.95.2 (and you probably want to be), then you
> probably want to ignore libg++.

STL rulez!

Andy, who seeks developers and beta-tester for http://GQL.sourceforge.net.
--

Pfeilgasse 4-6/725, A-1080 Wien, Austria, Europe
http://www.altern.org/arot/

Library function documentation

Post by Andreas Rottman » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

[big snip]

> I suggest you look at GQL.sourceforge.net - I need some beat-testers
> anyway...

                                                          ^^^^
                                                          beta
I surely want to beat nobody... ;-)
--

Pfeilgasse 4-6/725, A-1080 Wien, Austria, Europe
http://www.altern.org/arot/

1. Search function is not available in Documentation Library AIX 5.1

Hi,

I am installing DocSearch on AIX 5.1 and I have a message that I can't use
search function: Search function is not available.
I have installed  apache http server and configure it to use good
directories, I can use documentation but no search function.
 Can you tell-me witch fileset is used from search function or other
solution.

Tanks

2. Best cards for 2 NIC setup?

3. static functions in library matching global functions

4. Linux <-> Wfw

5. Documentation for thread-safe network lookup functions.

6. DRIVERS FOR MULTIPORT VOICE CARDS

7. function documentation

8. kdemenuedit /redhat 8.0 problem

9. 2.5 Documentation/CodingStyle ANSI C function declarations.

10. Add documentation for string functions

11. documentation on kernel space functions ?

12. Where can I find documentation on Kernel functions