can someone tell me what I am missing here?

Post by Lawrence Docherty CS199 » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Yep.. Well Blender is available.. And Gimp (Photoshop equivalent
> with lots of plugins and programs for converting Photoshop plugins to
> run on Gimp).. Both are free..

I have recently removed Linux from my system. If we wanna talk about
hype, Linux
has a severe case of it just as any product people want to sell is
hyped. I tried
to use Gimp and Blender, and while they are good for what I paid for
them (ie zip)
they just didn't cut it compared to things like Max and Photoshop. Then
again, Max
doesn't cut it when compared to Maya, and Maya runs on Irix. I don't
have a downer
on Linux, Unix or Windows (or MacOS or BeOs or... :o), I believe
strongly in using
the platform and tools that suit the job you're doing. So if I wanted to
do some
low-poly character animation for a game, I'd use Max under NT. If I
wanted to do a
spot of NURBS-based character animation for output to film, I'll go to
Maya on one
of the SGI machines kicking about the place. For printed page layout,
Quark on an
Apple, and so on. If people want to use a specific OS in preference to
another one
and put up with substandard results because of their choice in OS, thats
their own
affair. Me, I'll do the best job I can with whatever tools I need.

> >>Am I missing something here? Tell me why AutoCAD, Mechanical Desktop, 3D
> >>Studio Max, and others must remain in this prison of performance?

To reach as large an audience as possible. Most of the people who
routinely use
2D or 3D art programs are not computer-people. They are architects,
animators, and
others who only use the computer as a medium of expression. They aren't
interested
in the marketing hype of either side, or the efficiency of the kernel,
or the number
of polygons per second they can render. Any part of the package they
use, or the OS
itself, which inhibits the expression of their creative vision is
something with which
they'll be concerned, but that's about all. Linux has many fine points,
but I don't
think that anyone out there would seriously try to tell me that
installing and setting
up a Linux system is as near-transparent as a Windows 98 or NT install,
would they?
For instance, until recently I had a Voodoo Banshee card. Not exactly
uncommon, but
I couldn't get X to run with it (there is now an X server available for
my card, but
at the time there was only a beta version, or trying to configure a
framebuffer device).
So for someone who isn't a Computer Science student as I am, or who
doesn't have 17 years
of computing experience, like an artist or architect, this isn't the
kind of situation
you are going to place yourself in. You'll just go to the less efficient
but more
applicable OS and use it. As I do...

--
Larry Docherty
--

can someone tell me what I am missing here?

Post by Sam J. Bowlin » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

If you guys must continue this thread can you please remove the
LightWave groups from future replies.

Thanks.
--
Sam J. Bowling
http://www.members.home.net/sbowling/

1. can someone tell me what I am missing here?

Will someone please tell me what is so great about NT (or Windows in
general for that matter)? Don't tell me it is because there are all
these great applications out there or that every home in the US uses it
(or close). Why are so many reasonably smart people compelled to defend
this OS? It's as if there is not a choice. Even the thought of it seems
forbidden.

I will not give you any testimonials about how much I love Linux as I
know I will find as many NT users spending tons of $$ telling me that
their PC's just love it and how they only crash when you hit the power
switch. I will say this:

1) How can ANY corporate or profit-driven organization developing an OS
compete with a network of programmers that love their work and are proud
of their accomplishments?

2) How can any customer service group attempt to come close to the
network of Linux users that are eager to help each other around the
world 24 hours a day?

3) How can an OS that has a history of ever-increasing size and hardware
demands ever hope to stand up against an OS that will run quite well on
a 386 -and will continue to do so?

4) Will users of high-performance software applications always desire to
run their applications on a sluggish and bloated OS that can barely run
general office apps with a P-II 333MHz?

5) Will database programmers and server administrators remain the only
people who see the benefits of a free OS with more power, potential,
stability, and sophistication?

6) Why must some of the most advanced and awe-inspiring software
platforms around today run on one of the worst OS's I've ever used?

Am I missing something here? Tell me why AutoCAD, Mechanical Desktop, 3D
Studio Max, and others must remain in this prison of performance?

2. Named Pipes!

3. Archive tape problem

4. Could someone please tell me if this is this an attempted crack ?

5. Problem with my configuration (Modem and Internet Connection - Kppp....Netscape)

6. Can someone tell me if a TN5250 emulation for Linux exists?

7. KLH MN170 monitor: Please, anyone know the specs?

8. Can Someone please tell me if this video card will work?

9. can someone tell me what is wrong with my cronjob?

10. Can someone tell me what this means (HardDrive error)

11. can someone send me linux command and tell me how to run Xwindows

12. Coherent: Can someone tell me about it?