Hard time with program installation

Post by Brian Lano » Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hello, everyone.  I was hoping you might be able to help.  Sorry if I'm
overly wordy, but I've already tried a lot of things for this that don't
seem to work.  I'm a newbie when it comes to programming, so please go
easy on me.

I'm trying to install a set of programs on to the RH6.0 side of a dual
boot linux/Winblows NT box.  These programs are for evolutionary analysis
of DNA sequences.

I've installed the binaries as they come from the authors, and many of
them work just fine.  The one problem is a set of programs called GDE.
This set is embedded in the binaries for the larger set (called ARB).

It seems like it should be set up correctly, but every time I try to run
the program, I get a segmentation fault.  LDD shows that it is finding the
libraries it thinks it needs, yet gdb of the (occasional) core dump seems
to think that it's a library problem (sorry, I don't have the output from
gdb at hand right now).

Now, I've gotten this program to run on other RH6.0/WinNT dual boot boxes,
and I've checked the library setup for the ones that work to compare to
the one that doesn't work.  It looks like the version that doesn't work is
looking for more libraries than the version that does work.  Remember,
though, that it is finding them.

I've tried copying the entire directory structure where these programs
live on to the new system--no luck.  GDE is still looking for (and
finding) too many libraries.

I also managed to find zipped binaries of GDE as a stand alone program,
already compiled for linux.  However, after installation (and changing my
PATH variable to be able to see the GDE home directory), I get the error
message that the system cannot execute the binary file.  The permissions
are set correctly.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for a fix for this problem?  I hope
you aren't going to say for me to compile the source for this program,
because I'm dreading that.  But if that is the only way around this issue,
maybe one of you gurus out there could help me out with setting the
Makefile correctly?  I'm really just starting to work at this level
(simple programming and compiling of source code), so I could really use a
hand.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Sincerely,

Brian Lanoil

Hard time with program installation

Post by Pete » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:00:00

if it runs ok on other boxes, look at :
        http://www.fokus.gmd.de/linux/FAQ/asc/GCC-SIG11-FAQ

Quote: