CPU Load Average...

Post by gbnai » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 03:48:40

Hi,

I have a question.

How do I find the average load of CPU in Linux from user land? Are
there any system calls or any statistical information avaiable in
linux? I looked into the /proc/loadavg file. But it gives the number
of jobs in the run queue and doesnt give any indication of what the
current average load of the CPU.

Any suggestions are greately appreciated.

TIA
--gb

CPU Load Average...

Post by Bernhard Agth » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 16:25:33

> Hi,

> I have a question.

> How do I find the average load of CPU in Linux from user land? Are
> there any system calls or any statistical information avaiable in
> linux? I looked into the /proc/loadavg file. But it gives the number
> of jobs in the run queue and doesnt give any indication of what the
> current average load of the CPU.

> Any suggestions are greately appreciated.

> TIA
> --gb

Have you tried xosview?

CPU Load Average...

Post by Ferenc Wagne » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 19:36:40

> I looked into the /proc/loadavg file. But it gives the
> number of jobs in the run queue and doesnt give any
> indication of what the current average load of the CPU.

With a 2.2.12 kernel at least, /proc/loadavg contains three
load averages:

$ cat /proc/loadavg
1.19 1.28 1.33 3/109 29222

Isn't this the same for you?

                                        Feri.

CPU Load Average...

Post by Anthony DeRoberti » Mon, 25 Jun 2001 10:32:10

> But it gives the number
> of jobs in the run queue and doesnt give any indication of what the
> current average load of the CPU.

What do you think the first three numbers are?

CPU Load Average...

Post by Chuck Matter » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 20:50:38

> > But it gives the number
> > of jobs in the run queue and doesnt give any indication of what the
> > current average load of the CPU.

> What do you think the first three numbers are?

In case it's not clear to all, the numbers are load averages for the
last 1, 5, and 15 minutes and can also be displayed byt the uptime
command which also shows how long the machine has been running, and
the w command which will give the load averages as well as info on who
is logged in.

|Chuck Mattern           | "True strength lies in gentleness"         |

1. How to get (Solaris 2.5.1): CPU load average, free VM, free physical memory

Hi all,

  I need to create an application that should check on some stage CPU load
average (what we can see from "uptime"), free and total virtual and physical
memory on the machine.

  This application should run on Solaris 2.5.1

   What I'd like to get is either recommendation of what system calls should
I use or pointer where I could find sources of uptime and/or vmtat :)

   Again, it can't be just perl script processing an output of regular
commands, but C-program...

Thanks in advance,
              Gregory
*   Gregory Touretsky    Tel: +972-4-865-6377 *
*  Intel Israel, Haifa   Fax: +972-4-865-5999 *

2. Linux and sounds. . .

3. CPU Load Average .....

4. Changing SVGA settings

5. Dual CPU, load average report error

6. WABI 2.0

7. How to get multi-cpu load average from SMP environment ?

8. matroxfb_maven not being built in 2.4.21-pre5

9. Relationship between load average and CPU busy or CPU idle

10. System Load average: How much load average is good for?

11. How do I get load average (% of cpu)

12. High load average, low cpu usage when /home NFS mounted

13. load averages for CPU, memory, disk and network