MH/xmh/exmh or other full featured mail reader.

MH/xmh/exmh or other full featured mail reader.

Post by David M. Coo » Thu, 04 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I am looking for a full featured X mail user agent.  I've looked at
several and they each appear either very basic and lacking in features
or extremely early in its development life and bug ridden.

I am running Slakware3.0.  It has xmh which is not functional since
the mh package it is based on is not present.  Is mh available in a
ready to run package for Slakware3.0?  I can't find it on sunsite.

I've tried XF-Mail.  It's got a lot of promise but I can't recommend
it for use by my coworkers yet.  That bug (in XForms?) when composing
mail and the work-around confuses users.

I've looked at a few others but they aren't worth mentioning.

What's needed:
  - X based; I don't care what widget set but it should look and
             behave well.

  - MIME support.  (Embedded attachments instead of spawning external
    viewers would be nice.  :)

  - No restrictiona on government/corporate use.

What's wanted:
  - Uses "standard" unix mail files for folders.  I've seen the way mh
    and XF-Mail store messages but, particularly with XF-Mail, then
    you can't fall back on the unix mail program when you have no X
    environment.

Am I dreaming?  Are there any good mail user agents out there?  I'd
apreciate pointers to your favorite.

- David
   Anything I say or write is my opinion (maybe).  Do not assume that
   any organization or other individual agrees (or disagrees).

MH/xmh/exmh or other full featured mail reader.

Post by Peter Dekke » Fri, 05 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I am looking for a full featured X mail user agent.  I've looked at
>several and they each appear either very basic and lacking in features
>or extremely early in its development life and bug ridden.

Try ML, it's a very powerfull mailreader for X (motif 2.0). It has support
for many protocols and got all the other stuff (filters, mime, ......).
So far it has been very stable.

Good luck.

Peter Dekkers

Post by Ronald Wah » Sat, 06 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> >I am looking for a full featured X mail user agent.  I've looked at
> >several and they each appear either very basic and lacking in features
> >or extremely early in its development life and bug ridden.

> Try ML, it's a very powerfull mailreader for X (motif 2.0). It has support
> for many protocols and got all the other stuff (filters, mime, ......).
> So far it has been very stable.

For some weeks I tried ML. Functionality is quite good but it segfault
sometimes. Also it opens too many windows - one or two windows are enough.
I use Pine a long time now and no program can beat it yet. Sure there are
some features missing but these are not so important.

ron

--

 \ WWW: http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~row             \

   \ PGP key available by finger to my email address \

MH/xmh/exmh or other full featured mail reader.

Post by Lance Brown - Contract » Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:00:00

MH will compile and run just fine after patching it with the diffs
found on sunsite in the system/Mail/readers directory.  This file also
contains a sample configuration for Linux that is quite usable.

Pointers to the MH sources are in the MH FAQ.

--[Lance]

MH/xmh/exmh or other full featured mail reader.

Post by Lars Gullik Bj?nn » Sat, 13 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> MH will compile and run just fine after patching it with the diffs
> found on sunsite in the system/Mail/readers directory.  This file also
> contains a sample configuration for Linux that is quite usable.

> Pointers to the MH sources are in the MH FAQ.

> --[Lance]

On my ELF system it didn't.

I think it was make or gcc (2.7.2) that bailed out.

Lgb

MH/xmh/exmh or other full featured mail reader.

Post by Lance A. Bro » Sat, 13 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> On my ELF system it didn't.

> I think it was make or gcc (2.7.2) that bailed out.

Oh yea!  I forgot.  The depend: targets make gnu make barf.  They look
like:

depend:;        if ....

If you change them all to

depend:
        if ...

the compile will work.  Make sure you change the prototype makefiles
in the conf directory and then re-run mhconfig.

--[Lance]

1. xmh-pop-1.0b - mh/xmh with POP/Unix auth. support

--

xmh-pop-1.0b (beta release) is available in ftp://ftp.ceram.fr/system/mail

#### INTRODUCTION

  This package will allow xmh to properly interact with the MH
package when MH has been compiled with POP / UNIX authentication
support. The added functionalities are:

- the ability to prompt the user for a password
- the ability to detect if a forked mh command requires a passwd (as
inc and msgchk do), and to feed the command with the password

#### WHAT ELSE'S NEEDED

- MH-6.8.3 source tree:
  minor changes to the MH package are unfortunately required. See
  README.MH for details.
  The patch is included in this distribution, see instructions below.

  Once the patch has been applied, the MH package must be recompiled
  with POP support, and UNIX authentication; refer to the MH
  documentation for more instructions.

- You will have to patch and recompile xmh. See the file README.XMH
  for a description of the changes to xmh.

mh-6.8.3, popper-1.831, xmh-mitR5, and xmh-pop are available via
anonymous ftp on ftp.ceram.fr in the directory /system/mail:

  ftp://ftp.ceram.fr/system/mail

#### SECURITY

-  The approach used implies storing a x-ored clear text password in
  the memory space of a running program (xmh) for the lifetime of the
  program. If you are unsure about the risks this implies, you probably
  shouldn't use this patch.

-  The patches to MH will generate programs (e.g. inc & msgchk) that
  read passwords from their standard  input. This will allow a silly
  user to store a clear text password in a file or a script so as to
  feed it automatically to the mh programs.

- xmh will feed external programs (e.g. inc) with clear-text
  passwords: better make sure these programs aren't trojan horses. As
  a consequence the way xmh looks for mh binaries has been modified,
  see README.XMH

#### KNOWN PROBLEMS

- We got many many deadlocks with the select in xmh/command.c, which
  never returned even though the MH command did write on stderr. The
  problem disapeared after we replaced vfork by fork in command.c, but
  we are unsure if this was really causing the problem.. there may be
  a bug laying around there

The program succesfully compiled and is being tested for the following
configs:

SunOS 4.1.3_U1 1 / Sun cc -O
SunOS 4.1.3_U1 1 / gcc-2.4.5 -fstrength-reduce -fpcc-struct-return
HP-UX A.09.05    / HP cc +O1 -Aa +DA1.0
HP-UX A.09.05    / gcc-2.4.5 -fstrength-reduce -fpcc-struct-return -O -ansi

  Comments appreciated.

        Frank Mangin                            Tel: (33) 93 65 78 57

2. dhcp

3. Help with XMH and MH (was: Re: MH for Linux, *please*!

4. telnet times out to quick

5. Changing From: field in MH or exmh

6. EISA Mach32 / SMART Array Controller

7. Email with Earthlink, Sendmail, exmh, mh, Linux libc5

8. Throttle Ftpd?

9. Setting your return path using mh/Xmh ???

10. xmh... where is MH???

11. xmh and mh for Linux

12. Which mail reader / MTA combo with advanced features

13. Full-featured, reliable POP-mail client for Linux?