Which socket library to use ?

Post by Giusepp » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 19:29:38

Hi,

I'm planning to develop a file sharing client for Linux
with the QT library. The client would support several file sharing protocols
from which it has to download different parts of the same file (E.G.
one part from Direct connect hubs, another from napigator etc).

Which socket library is best to use ? KSocket ? QSocket ? Unix standard
Socket ? Please give me a counsel.

Thanks,
Giuseppe

Which socket library to use ?

Post by Kevin Kramme » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 07:40:36

> Hi,

> I'm planning to develop a file sharing client for Linux
> with the QT library. The client would support several file sharing
> protocols from which it has to download different parts of the same
> file (E.G. one part from Direct connect hubs, another from napigator
> etc).

> Which socket library is best to use ? KSocket ? QSocket ? Unix
> standard Socket ? Please give me a counsel.

If you are using Qt I'd say QSocket :)
If you are writing a KDE program, maybe KExtendedSocket.

Cheers,
Kevin

--

Student at Graz University of Technology
http://www.sbox.tu-graz.ac.at/home/v/voyager

Which socket library to use ?

Post by Giusepp » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 23:07:07

Quote:> If you are using Qt I'd say QSocket :)
> If you are writing a KDE program, maybe KExtendedSocket.

> Cheers,
> Kevin

Do you know any tutorial on kde Socket ? I went through google
but I couldn't find any.

Thanks for your answer,
Giuseppe

Which socket library to use ?

Post by Kevin Kramme » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 01:25:57

>> If you are using Qt I'd say QSocket :)
>> If you are writing a KDE program, maybe KExtendedSocket.

>> Cheers,
>> Kevin

> Do you know any tutorial on kde Socket ? I went through google
> but I couldn't find any.

Unfortunately I don't know any as well.
Only have use QSocket so far.

You could ask on the KDE developer mailing list kde-devel if someone has
example code for KExtendedSocket.

Cheers,
Kevin

--

Post by Belgarat » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 07:34:54

> Common C++ works for me and doesn't tie you to the GUI libraries.
> http://www.gnu.org/software/commoncpp/

Sounds good to me, but what's the catch? :)

Belgarath

1. problem with socket code (well, it uses socket libraries anyway)

I'm having problems compiling my code, I sort of understand the error,
but I don't know how to correct the problem, here's the error:
detect.c: In Function 'main':
detect.c:21: warning: comparison of distinct pointer types lacks a
cast

now heres the source code. What I'm atleast trying to do is get the
address of the user and well, give different output for certain users.
I think I got it, I think I just need to reorganize/fix some stuff.
Help would be appreciated.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <netinet/in.h>
#include <arpa/inet.h>
#include <netdb.h>
int main()

{
        int addr;

        struct sockaddr_in their_addr;
        struct hostent *name;

        their_addr.sin_family = AF_INET;
        their_addr.sin_port = htons (80);
        addr = inet_aton (getenv("REMOTE_ADDR"),&(their_addr.sin_addr));
        memset (&(their_addr.sin_zero),'\0',8);
if ((name=gethostbyaddr (&addr,sizeof(addr),AF_INET)) ==
"location.com")
        {

                printf ("Hello");
          exit(0);
        }

        else {

                printf ("Hey");
                exit (0);
        }

2. Mandrake 7.0 setup

3. Socket connections using shared libraries

4. tcsh broke FTP?

5. what library is to be linked when using Socket api ??

6. problems with Internet connection sharing (MDK9)

7. Reclaiming used socket fd or how to close sockets properly

8. Demon Internet and Linux

9. Using static libraries and shared libraries in same program?

10. Socket : which process is using my socket?

11. Problem linking when using C++ library in a library on Solaris

12. Using a dynamic library from another dynamic library

13. Using libtool to build shared libraries that depend on static libraries