How can I start KDE/enlightenment window manager automatically at login?

How can I start KDE/enlightenment window manager automatically at login?

Post by Ditis » Sun, 17 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi!
I am a Linux newbie. I have installed Red Hat Linux 5.2 and currently have wfm2
running as my window manager. I have installed packages for both KDE and
enlightenment window managers. But I am having difficulty running them
automatically at startup after login.
 I am pretty sure I have followed the directions for each installation.
Specifically, I have included the path environment in my .bashrc file to look
for each program. I also edited .xsession file to include 'startkde' or
'enlightenment' as the case maybe, as I am using xdm to start X session. But in
either case, the system still starts with fwm2 window manager as default.

When I use startx instead to start X session, I can get to KDE or enlightenment
desktop without a glitch. What am I doing wrong? Do i need to edit some other
startup files? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. I apologize if this
has been discussed in this newsgroup before.

Thanks beforehand.

Kaushik Mallick

How can I start KDE/enlightenment window manager automatically at login?

you are supposed to start X with startx I believe

Post by Person » Sun, 17 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> When I use startx instead to start X session, I can get to KDE or enlightenment
> desktop without a glitch. What am I doing wrong? Do i need to edit some other
> startup files? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. I apologize if this
> has been discussed in this newsgroup before.

I had a similiar problem and discovered something really simple..<someone in these
NGs told me>.  Are you sure your .xsession file is executable?  If not, I'd
suggest you do a chmod +x .xsession as this needs to be executable from/by xdm (I
use xdm on startup and it launches KDE for me when I log in).

> Thanks beforehand.

> Kaushik Mallick

--Persona

How can I start KDE/enlightenment window manager automatically at login?

This post doesn't belong here.  Ask it in comp.os.linux.x

--
Never trust anything you didn't compile.

1. how to start enlightenment from kde login manager

Hi,

I have installed enlightenment because I want to see what it is and how it
works and stuff, but the problem is that when I select enlightenment from
the KDE login manager my screen goes black, and then I get back to the login
manager.
I have tried to use enlightenment-install, but then I always got
enlightenment no matter what I choose.
this was kind of annoying because I'm not very familiar with enlightenment.
I am also not that familiar with KDE, but at least I understand the basics
of that.
happily I have fixed the problem of enlightenment always showing up by
removing three files the enlightenment-install script had generated:
.Xclient, .xinitrc and .xsession

does anybody know what I have to do so that when I choose KDE I get KDE and
when I choose enlightenment I get enlightenment. and as a bonus it would be
nice if I could remove all those window managers which aren't installed
anyway.

thank in advance,
  Mark

2. Problems with DHCP

3. starting window manager automatically?

4. Suggestion for a video card

5. how to start kde automatically when x starts?

6. a.out

7. No graphical login no window manager after update to kde-3.0.3

8. Linux AI System (Expert System)

9. kde window manager doesn't start

10. The window manager is not started after upgrading to kde-3.0.3

11. Can I config KDE Window manager to start Gnome?

12. Strange KDE Window Behavior, Windows will automatically close

13. How to start a program when a Window Manager is started ?