which library for GUI is best?

Post by Uwe Boss » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 08:19:15

I want to write applications with a GUI for Linux system.
There seem to be many C or C++ libraries that provide an access to the
X-Server
and functions to open Windows with Scrollbars to present lists and
buttons and all that
stuff.

I found, for example, the Gimp Toolkit Gtk. (and its C++-Wrapper gtk--)
Is it worth to spend a lot of time to learn how to use it?
Or is there something better? (Something better could be a library, to
which there exists a
good tutorial)

Thanks in advance, Uwe.

Post by Jan Schauma » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 09:55:44

>  I want to write applications with a GUI for Linux system.

In addition to GTK+ (or GTK--), check out Qt, Swing (Java) , WxWindows,
Tcl/Tk, and the various bindings for python and perl.

It all depends on what kind of application you want to write and what
language you want to use (which, again, depends on what kind of
application you want to write).

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

The two most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen
and stupidity.  -- Albert Einstein

which library for GUI is best?

Quote:> I want to write applications with a GUI for Linux system.

I'd go for Qt , www.troll.no, used by e.g. the KDE desktop and Opera.

which library for GUI is best?

Post by Mark Hatc » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 22:22:47

As others have said, depends on what your goals are. The three main choices
are:

GTK+ - used as the basis of Gnome
QT - used as the basis of KDE
Motif - been around longer and used by most commercial UNIX applications

GTK and Motif are C based. QT is C++ and their commercial version runs on
Windows as well as Linux.There is a GTK-- and ViewKit www.viewkit.com) if
you want to use C++ with GTK+ and Motif respectively. GTK and Motif can be
used with proprietary, closed source applications at no charge. QT is
available under GPL (which means you need to open source anything you build
with it) and under a commercial license (i.e., you get to pay $$$'s if you
want to keep your source closed).

Some would argue that QT and GTK+ are slightly easier to learn than Motif
because it is a single toolkit. Motif is really a combination of Xt and a
set of Widgets (i.e. Motif) and you will find your programs using routines
from several libraries to create a GUI. The flip side of this ease of use
is that Motif has been tested to the limits with real applications with
complicated GUIs. Some customers I talk to really like the wide selection
of GTK+/QT widgets. But others fear that each lacks the depth of API and
control offered by Motif (and of course there are free widgets for Motif
too).

URLs:

GTK+: www.gtk.org
QT: www.trolltech.com
Motif: www.motifzone.net

Regards,

Mark

Post by Bob Bea » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 22:34:23

> I want to write applications with a GUI for Linux system.

From this, you'll be safe with Qt or GTK - it's a matter of preference or
religious affiliation :)

Quote:> I found, for example, the Gimp Toolkit Gtk. (and its C++-Wrapper gtk--)
> Is it worth to spend a lot of time to learn how to use it?

I think so, but that's because I am in the RedHat/GNOME/GTK camp, there
are probably just as many KDE/Qt camp, so you won't be alone either way.

No one is clearly technically superior for very long. They keep moving
and it's going to be a pain to stay current in both, so go with one and
let that be that.

I chose my path because of my belief in CORBA and how it's enbraced by
GNOME... but that's just me.

                        Thanks,

                        The Man from S.P.U.D.
                        We will write no code before it's designed.

which library for GUI is best?

Post by Jan Pantelt » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 23:51:25

On a sunny day (Fri, 08 Jun 2001 01:19:15 +0200) it happened Uwe Bosse

Quote:>I want to write applications with a GUI for Linux system.
>There seem to be many C or C++ libraries that provide an access to the
>X-Server
>and functions to open Windows with Scrollbars to present lists and
>buttons and all that
>stuff.

>I found, for example, the Gimp Toolkit Gtk. (and its C++-Wrapper gtk--)
>Is it worth to spend a lot of time to learn how to use it?
>Or is there something better? (Something better could be a library, to
>which there exists a
>good tutorial)

>Thanks in advance, Uwe.

Only thing I could ever get used to was xforms.
Regards
Jan

Post by Sim.. » Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:21:20

> I want to write applications with a GUI for Linux system.
> There seem to be many C or C++ libraries that provide an access to the
> X-Server
> and functions to open Windows with Scrollbars to present lists and
> buttons and all that
> stuff.

> I found, for example, the Gimp Toolkit Gtk. (and its C++-Wrapper gtk--)
> Is it worth to spend a lot of time to learn how to use it?
> Or is there something better? (Something better could be a library, to
> which there exists a
> good tutorial)

When I was looking around last year I looked at various libraries. I
narrowed things down to Qt & GTK+.

I tried GTK+, and variants (VDK etc) and found them a bit flaky on my
Linux box. Also the porting path to Windows didn't seem to have been
sorted.

I tried Qt Free. It works mostly how the documentation describes, ports
to Windows cleanly (not that I have tried), and is easy to use. I
develop in kdevelop and QT Designer, things work well.

--
Simon Dales, Publication Software Engineer
"The impossible is easy"

which library for GUI is best?

Thank you very much for your informative answers!

Post by Jan Atle Ramsl » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:19:23

> Thank you very much for your informative answers!

If you want more 'bare metal' stuff, then go to users.skynet.be/atle and
get the M5 library project.
Then get LessTif and the ListTree widget and brew your own ...

Atle

1. Best GUI library

I would like recommendations on which gui library people think is best and
why. I am developing a gui front end for a customer service application. The
replacement OS is going to be Linux and probably coded in C though Java has
be considered but is too resource hungry.

I have tested libraries like Qt, GTK and SVGA Lib which all have their own
configurations and API's.  The Gnome desktop seems to be a preference for X.

Any feedback is appreciated

Thanks

Doug.

2. PCMCIA configuration HELP!!

3. information on GUI design and what in market is the best develop in GUI

4. EMERGENCY!! CRON Dilemma

5. **GUI Engineer** - Red Herring's Best Company with the Best Product for 1998

6. PLIP Errors

7. Best Linux Distro? / Best GUI?

8. Can't use fdisk with 4GB SCSI drive -- HELP

9. What Is Best GUI Development System ???

10. Best GUI dev tool for Solaris?

11. The best GUI for ipchains and/or iptables?

12. The best GUI "File Manager" for Linux....

13. Best GUI