How do install software from a CD-ROM under GNOME

How do install software from a CD-ROM under GNOME

Post by <yousufaf.. » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi Guys,

I am a very new user of Linux. I just installed Red Hat Linux 6.2
GNOME desktop. Could you guys help me in installing software from
a CD-ROM and the steps involved in it. Is there any GUI tool for that.

Thanks,

Yousuf

How do install software from a CD-ROM under GNOME

Post by Toby Hayne » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

  Yousuf> Hi Guys, I am a very new user of Linux. I just installed Red Hat
  Yousuf> Linux 6.2 GNOME desktop. Could you guys help me in installing
  Yousuf> software from a CD-ROM and the steps involved in it. Is there any GUI
  Yousuf> tool for that.

Since you have a RedHat system, you can make use of the RPM (RedHat Package
Management) system. Software which is distributed in RPM format has filenames
which end in .rpm. Before the .rpm is another suffix which identifies the
architecture platform that the rpm is aimed at - assuming you have an x86
compatable machine, this is likely to be one of i386, i586 or i686 for 386/486,
Pentium and Pentium Pro machines respectively. If you have a PowerPC machine,
such as a G3 Mac, then this machine suffix will be ppc. If the file is for any
architecture (i.e. fonts are not specific to one machine type), the suffix is
usually noarch.

For example, emacs might be distributed in a file which looks like:

emacs-20.6-3.i386.rpm

So this can be read as a package containing Emacs 20.6, which has been patched
for the third time, compiled for the 386 compatable platform (which by the way
includes all the Pentiums and AMD chips), and distributed in rpm format.

To install it, you must be the superuser for the system - known as
'root'. However you should NOT run as root the whole time!! I can not emphasize
this enough! Even if you are about to do a load of administration, installation
and configuration, at the graphical login log in as a normal user. Particularly
with graphical tools, it is extremely easy to drag, say, the entire system
directory into a home directory without noticing and then you are in
trouble. There are other gotchas as well. Unlike Windows, Unix has a long
tradition of separating the administration of the system from the use of the
system, and it's a habit that new users should get used to fast.

Anyway, once you have logged in as a normal user, pull up a terminal window.
Type

su root

and type in the 'root' password. Now this terminal and only this terminal has
superuser priviledges. You can also start other graphical programs from this
terminal and they too will have superuser priviledges.

Now to install that software. If you know where the software is and you are
happy with the command line, you can simply change to the directory containing
the file and type something like

rpm -Uvh emacs-20.6-3.i386.rpm

This upgrades any existing Emacs on the system to the level in the package. To
install a fresh package, type

rpm -ivh emacs-20.6-3.i386.rpm

If you prefer graphical tools, try GnoRPM. It allows fairly obvious
installation of new packages. To start it as superuser, from the terminal where
you are logged in as superuser, type

gnorpm &

(the & after the command means start this program and continue with this
terminal as well) and hopefully the rest should be straightforward.

Hope this helps

Toby Haynes

--

Toby Haynes
The views and opinions expressed in this message are my own, and do

1. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM

Hi,

  I can't install my Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with the following SCSI
related configuration :
  1) 1 Adaptec 1542C controller
  2) 1 240MB SCSI-2 hard disk
  3) 1 Sound Blaster 16 AIC-6360 sound card
  4) 1 NEC SCSI-1 CD-ROM (I say it is SCSI-1 because ezscsi.exe provided by
     Adaptec detects it as a SCSI-1 one without support for parity checking).

  I have tried to install Linux with the following two configurations :
  1) connect the CD-ROM to SB16 card and the hard disk to 1542C controller :
     I typed the command
     Linux aha152x=0x340,11,7,1
     to boot Linux but failed after a long period of detecting my CD-ROM
     and dumped a lot of messages about the queue status.
     I noticed that the parity checking is enabled.

  2) connect the CD-ROM and hard disk to 1542C with parity checking disabled
     while just connect the sound output from CD-ROM to SB16 card only :

     I used the default booting process and it failed a lot faster and told
     me that it can't mount the CD-ROM (kernel panic : unable to mount VFS).

  These two configurations work fine under both OS/2 2.1 and DOS/Windows.

  Now I need help to the following questions :
  1) How can I install Linux using this CD-ROM with such config ?
  2) Which other CD-ROM distribution can I use to install Linux ?

  One of the major reasons to buy CD-ROM is to run Linux. Failing to do so
frustrated me a lot. Please help me !

Thanks in advance,
   Eddie

2. Can't Boot Linux!

3. CD-ROM not detected by linux after CD-ROM install

4. Metro-X w/ Graphics Tablet

5. Is it possible to install Linux w/o CD-ROM onto DOS system?

6. LILO-problem!Please help!

7. Install from a non-bootable DOS CD-ROM + floppy?

8. awk compiler

9. Installing software from CD-ROM

10. Reveal 4XCD-ROM & Slackware 2.3 CD-ROM Install

11. CD-ROM mount needs source <--> source needs CD-ROM mount

12. CD-ROM driver for Turtle Beach/Funai 6X CD-ROM?

13. Intsall from CD-ROM without a CD-ROM