XFree86 V3.1.2D and Linux Kernel V1.3.95

XFree86 V3.1.2D and Linux Kernel V1.3.95

Post by Kenneth Ma » Mon, 29 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Greetings,

As of this writing, the latest versions of XFree86 are at
version 3.1.2D. The Linux Kernel V1.3.95 has been out since the 15th of April.

As for XFree86, I haven't seen support for the Matrox board. I was
hoping to ask MetroLink if they would provide this information. If
you want to take a look at the new XFree86 then its on
(ftp://ftp.xfree86.com).

The latest patch, version 1.3.95, of Linux os always on
(http://www.linux.org). Some people have already installed it on
their systems. Since it is a new patch,
I don't know how stable it is in comparison to the others. But, I did
want to make a note on the numerous patches.

Why can't we consolidate these patches??? It seems harder to test
multiple patches than two or three.
Isn't there a better solution to this? Let's make a
solid update per every 10 patches. If you have version
1.3.20, then the next solid patch is 1.3.30. You can have a
preliminary patch every five patches. This just
makes a downloads easier after twenty patches get released.

Just an opinion. Maybe I'll wait on a solid release of
version 1.4, before I upgrade the kernel again.

Ken Mays
USAF

Post by Daniel A. Supernaw-Iss » Mon, 29 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>Greetings,

[much deleted]

Quote:

>Why can't we consolidate these patches??? It seems harder to test
>multiple patches than two or three.
>Isn't there a better solution to this? Let's make a
>solid update per every 10 patches. If you have version
>1.3.20, then the next solid patch is 1.3.30. You can have a
>preliminary patch every five patches. This just
>makes a downloads easier after twenty patches get released.

Why don't you just get the linux sources from nic.funet.fi in
/pub/Linux/PEOPLE/Linus/v1.3 ?  there you will find a complete source
tree for every patch level and the current patches.

This information is in the Linux FAQ's you know.

Quote:>Just an opinion. Maybe I'll wait on a solid release of
>version 1.4, before I upgrade the kernel again.

>Ken Mays
>USAF

Daniel Supernaw-Issen

--
Daniel Supernaw-Issen

XFree86 V3.1.2D and Linux Kernel V1.3.95

Post by Henrik Storn » Fri, 03 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>The latest patch, version 1.3.95, of Linux os always on
>(http://www.linux.org).
>I don't know how stable it is in comparison to the others. But, I did
>want to make a note on the numerous patches.
>Why can't we consolidate these patches??? It seems harder to test
>multiple patches than two or three.
>Isn't there a better solution to this? Let's make a
>solid update per every 10 patches. If you have version
>1.3.20, then the next solid patch is 1.3.30.

I don't understand what your problem is. When a new kernel patch
is released, Linus provides two files: One file contains the entire
source tree - linux-1.3.95.tar.gz, for instance - and the other is
a patch allowing you to upgrade from the previous patchlevel.

If you feel that patching up 10 levels by running 10 files through
patch(1) is too difficult, you grab the whole source-tree file. If
you prefer to get just the patch, you install that.

Not terribly difficult, is it ?

Linus already has enough to worry about - don't ask him to provide
more files per release than are already being done.

--
Henrik Storner                     | "Life is like a 10 speed bicycle.

http://eolicom.olicom.dk/~storner/ |                        C. Schultz