The C/C++ development tools under linux

The C/C++ development tools under linux

Post by Yu Lianqi » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 11:26:39



I am new to linux and I wonder if there are some C/C++ development
tools under linux(e.g. the current version 7.3), is there an IDE
similar to Microsoft Visual C++ or Borland C++ Builder? and in
addition, What are the development tools or IDEs used to develop the
famous projects such as GNOME, Mozilla and Star Office.
 
 
 

The C/C++ development tools under linux

Post by Carlos Moren » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 12:31:04



> I am new to linux and I wonder if there are some C/C++ development
> tools under linux(e.g. the current version 7.3), is there an IDE
> similar to Microsoft Visual C++ or Borland C++ Builder? and in
> addition, What are the development tools or IDEs used to develop the
> famous projects such as GNOME, Mozilla and Star Office.

Borland has Kylix, which for now is the Delphi equivalent, but
they have announced (supposedly for some time soon) that they
will release the C++ version as well.

A C and C++ compiler ships with most Linux distributions by
default (BTW, 7.3 is not the version number of Linux;  it is
the version number of RedHat, one of the Linux distributions);
you may want to check some docs available from www.linux.org,
in the HOWTOs section (GCC-HOWTO).  It may get you started,
though it doesn't have a graphical IDE...

HTH,

Carlos
--

 
 
 

The C/C++ development tools under linux

Post by Christopher Brown » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 12:40:51



Quote:> I am new to linux and I wonder if there are some C/C++ development
> tools under linux(e.g. the current version 7.3), is there an IDE
> similar to Microsoft Visual C++ or Borland C++ Builder? and in
> addition, What are the development tools or IDEs used to develop the
> famous projects such as GNOME, Mozilla and Star Office.

The usual development tools are things like vi, make, automake, with
perhaps a liberal dosing of GNU Emacs.

The whole Unix shell is a powerful C/C++ development "workbench," so
the notion of restricting the power by tying it to some worthless GUI
framework tends only to suck in the unwary.
--

http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/languages.html
"I have stopped  reading Stephen King novels.  Now I  just read C code
instead."  -- Richard A. O'Keefe

 
 
 

The C/C++ development tools under linux

Post by Thaddeus L Olczy » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 13:28:00





>> I am new to linux and I wonder if there are some C/C++ development
>> tools under linux(e.g. the current version 7.3), is there an IDE
>> similar to Microsoft Visual C++ or Borland C++ Builder? and in
>> addition, What are the development tools or IDEs used to develop the
>> famous projects such as GNOME, Mozilla and Star Office.

>The usual development tools are things like vi, make, automake, with
>perhaps a liberal dosing of GNU Emacs.

>The whole Unix shell is a powerful C/C++ development "workbench," so
>the notion of restricting the power by tying it to some worthless GUI
>framework tends only to suck in the unwary.

Don't forget intel has a C++ compiler.
 
 
 

The C/C++ development tools under linux

Post by Stephane SOPPER » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 15:32:06



> I am new to linux and I wonder if there are some C/C++ development
> tools under linux(e.g. the current version 7.3), is there an IDE

In addition of what has already been said: if you want a graphical
front-ent to the de* gdb, you can install ddd (I think the package
is in RedHat). You should also try 'insight'. I don't know if it is
precompiled by redhat.

If you want something to navigate in your source, there's
sourcenavigator (from redhat). It works perfectly with xemacs (you can
use the it by providing an 'external editor').

Good luck!

--
Stephane SOPPERA
http://www.veryComputer.com/ (in (bad) english now!)

 
 
 

The C/C++ development tools under linux

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 16:34:18




> > I am new to linux and I wonder if there are some C/C++ development
> > tools under linux(e.g. the current version 7.3), is there an IDE

> In addition of what has already been said: if you want a graphical
> front-ent to the de* gdb, you can install ddd (I think the
> package is in RedHat). You should also try 'insight'. I don't know if
> it is precompiled by redhat.

Emacs has a gdb mode.

Quote:> If you want something to navigate in your source, there's
> sourcenavigator (from redhat). It works perfectly with xemacs (you can
> use the it by providing an 'external editor').

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

 
 
 

The C/C++ development tools under linux

Post by <B.. » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 16:38:25


Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<


wrote regarding Re: The C/C++ development tools under linux:


> > I am new to linux and I wonder if there are some C/C++ development
> > tools under linux(e.g. the current version 7.3), is there an IDE
> > similar to Microsoft Visual C++ or Borland C++ Builder? and in
> > addition, What are the development tools or IDEs used to develop the
> > famous projects such as GNOME, Mozilla and Star Office.
> Borland has Kylix, which for now is the Delphi equivalent, but
> they have announced (supposedly for some time soon) that they
> will release the C++ version as well.
> A C and C++ compiler ships with most Linux distributions by
> default (BTW, 7.3 is not the version number of Linux;  it is
> the version number of RedHat, one of the Linux distributions);
> you may want to check some docs available from www.linux.org,
> in the HOWTOs section (GCC-HOWTO).  It may get you started,
> though it doesn't have a graphical IDE...

qt has designer, well worth a look at, lots of documentation, sometimes
obscure, but stick and all will be clear.

Then there is glade for gui building gtk style,

But really:  Check out QT DESIGNER!

It's by far not Borland builder, but hey, it's free and works very well
with gcc and gmake.

If and when borland upgrades Kylix for C, then we will be very happy, but
'till then...

designer!

Www.trolltech.com/qt

B+

Quote:> HTH,
> Carlos
> --

 
 
 

The C/C++ development tools under linux

Post by Yu Lianqi » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 22:05:49


Hi, I don't think it is a good expierence to browse and edit thousands
of C++ source files one by one in vi (it is so strange to me). On the
contrary, in MS VC++, you can browse source files by class name or
file name, find the keyword easily and build a GUI by default. It is
maybe a hell to program under linux for lazy windows programmers. Is
it the reason why GNOME's development process is so slow.


> The usual development tools are things like vi, make, automake, with
> perhaps a liberal dosing of GNU Emacs.

> The whole Unix shell is a powerful C/C++ development "workbench," so
> the notion of restricting the power by tying it to some worthless GUI
> framework tends only to suck in the unwary.

 
 
 

The C/C++ development tools under linux

Post by Christopher Brown » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 22:33:49





>> The usual development tools are things like vi, make, automake, with
>> perhaps a liberal dosing of GNU Emacs.

>> The whole Unix shell is a powerful C/C++ development "workbench," so
>> the notion of restricting the power by tying it to some worthless GUI
>> framework tends only to suck in the unwary.
> Hi, I don't think it is a good expierence to browse and edit
> thousands of C++ source files one by one in vi (it is so strange to
> me). On the contrary, in MS VC++, you can browse source files by
> class name or file name, find the keyword easily and build a GUI by
> default. It is maybe a hell to program under linux for lazy windows
> programmers. Is it the reason why GNOME's development process is so
> slow.

It might be problematic if there didn't exist tools like ctags and
etags.

But since ctags exists, no, it's not a problem.
--

http://www.veryComputer.com/
Did you  hear about the  Buddhist who refused his  dentist's novocaine
during root c*work? He wanted to transcend dental medication.

 
 
 

The C/C++ development tools under linux

Post by Kevin Kramme » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 23:27:59



> I am new to linux and I wonder if there are some C/C++ development
> tools under linux(e.g. the current version 7.3), is there an IDE
> similar to Microsoft Visual C++ or Borland C++ Builder? and in
> addition, What are the development tools or IDEs used to develop the
> famous projects such as GNOME, Mozilla and Star Office.

There are several commercial and non commercial IDEs availabel for
Linux.

some examples
www.metrowerks.com
www.takefive.com
www.kdevelop.org
anjuta.sf.net

Cheers,
Kevin

--

Student at Graz University of Technology
http://www.sbox.tu-graz.ac.at/home/v/voyager

 
 
 

The C/C++ development tools under linux

Post by Larry Ebbit » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 06:27:18




Quote:> There are several commercial and non commercial IDEs availabel for
> Linux.

Kdevelop is quite good, and actively maintained.  It has a source browser,
but I haven't had occasion to try it.

--
Larry Ebbitt - Linux(Cntr #80621) + OS/2 - Atlanta

 
 
 

The C/C++ development tools under linux

Post by Yu Lianqi » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:43:41


Can you tell me what are ctags and etags, are these tools powerful? If
they are, why aren't they famous?
During these couple of days, I have learned that gcc/g++, gdb and make
are the most popular development tools, they are powerful but hard to
use for beginners or trational windows programmers, KDevelop is good
but few programmers use it. glade is not mature yet. Maybe I'd better
wait for Kylix 3.




> >> The usual development tools are things like vi, make, automake, with
> >> perhaps a liberal dosing of GNU Emacs.

> >> The whole Unix shell is a powerful C/C++ development "workbench," so
> >> the notion of restricting the power by tying it to some worthless GUI
> >> framework tends only to suck in the unwary.

> > Hi, I don't think it is a good expierence to browse and edit
> > thousands of C++ source files one by one in vi (it is so strange to
> > me). On the contrary, in MS VC++, you can browse source files by
> > class name or file name, find the keyword easily and build a GUI by
> > default. It is maybe a hell to program under linux for lazy windows
> > programmers. Is it the reason why GNOME's development process is so
> > slow.

> It might be problematic if there didn't exist tools like ctags and
> etags.

> But since ctags exists, no, it's not a problem.

 
 
 

The C/C++ development tools under linux

Post by Martin » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:23:02




>>I am new to linux and I wonder if there are some C/C++ development
>>tools under linux(e.g. the current version 7.3), is there an IDE
>>similar to Microsoft Visual C++ or Borland C++ Builder? and in
>>addition, What are the development tools or IDEs used to develop the
>>famous projects such as GNOME, Mozilla and Star Office.

> There are several commercial and non commercial IDEs availabel for
> Linux.

> some examples
> www.metrowerks.com
> www.takefive.com
> www.kdevelop.org
> anjuta.sf.net

> Cheers,
> Kevin

Do any of these offer code completion (ideal for the lazy developer)?
If not, does anyone know of any other IDEs that might offer this?
 
 
 

The C/C++ development tools under linux

Post by ???? » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:58:35





>>>I am new to linux and I wonder if there are some C/C++ development
>>>tools under linux(e.g. the current version 7.3), is there an IDE
>>>similar to Microsoft Visual C++ or Borland C++ Builder? and in
>>>addition, What are the development tools or IDEs used to develop the
>>>famous projects such as GNOME, Mozilla and Star Office.

>> There are several commercial and non commercial IDEs availabel for
>> Linux.

>> some examples
>> www.metrowerks.com
>> www.takefive.com
>> www.kdevelop.org
>> anjuta.sf.net

>> Cheers,
>> Kevin

> Do any of these offer code completion (ideal for the lazy developer)?
> If not, does anyone know of any other IDEs that might offer this?

Kdevelop supports code completion, although it's experimental.
 
 
 

The C/C++ development tools under linux

Post by Christopher Brown » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 22:08:49



Quote:> Can you tell me what are ctags and etags, are these tools powerful? If
> they are, why aren't they famous?

Can you type in "man ctags" or "man etags"?

They do their work fairly quietly; they don't need Microsoft spending
millions on marketing, which is the primary reason why the Microsoft
development tools are "famous."
--

http://www.veryComputer.com/
"It is not enough to succeed, others must fail."  --*Vidal

 
 
 

1. C++ (Was: Win32 development tools vs UNIX development tools)

: :
: : Personally I believe C++ leaped off the edge, and they should have
: : never added templates, but that is my personal opinion.
:
: I think implicit instantiation of templates was definitely jumping off
: the deep end. Explicit instantiation seems more reasonable and within
: the realm of human capabilities to implement robustly.
:

Can someone explain this to me?  I don't know much about compiler
implementation, and would like to know why templates are so troublesome.
As a developer, I find them very useful.

: Larry Edwards
--
Jerry J. Shekhel

                ,    ,                         ,
"Is maith liom Mi Mheain an tSamhraidh." - M. Ni Chobhthaigh

2. XFree86 4.0 and RH6.1 xfs fails to start

3. WWW Page for C++ Tools (was Re: Unix Development software - C++ etc.)

4. Wheel,Mouse,Higher,Ping,times,and,other,stuff,has,led,me,back,to,Win95.

5. Is there aIntegrated Development Tool like Borland C++, Borland J++ for linux?

6. Shutdown does Restart

7. Best Linux C++/C Development Tools?

8. PowerBook G3 "Wallstreet" - what distro to use?

9. Info development tools (Fortran & C++)

10. Development Tools C/C++

11. New C++ Development tool for Apache 2.0

12. Announcement: Target, C++ development tool release 1.2

13. Development Tools C/C++