big mem patch

Post by Barry Turne » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 22:58:58

Can anybody point me in the right direction for the big mem patch
for redhat 7.3 specifically?
thanks

big mem patch

Post by Sybren Stuve » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 23:07:41

Barry Turner enlightened us with:

Quote:> Can anybody point me in the right direction for the big mem patch for
> redhat 7.3 specifically?

www.redhat.com? Or why not roll your own kernel? It's not as complicated
as it looks.

Sybren

1. AL...-MEM request too big!

Well, I had Debian running on my Digital Audio G4. Then I build a benh
kernel from CVS, installed a new yaboot.conf via ybin and rebooted. (I
have it configured so that I must hold down the option key to allow me
to select either MacOS or Linux. That way no one else even knows Linux
is there. ;-)

Now all I get is a message saying "AL...-MEM request too big!" on a
white screen and the option to either mac-boot or shut-down. (The
"..." part has a blocky resemblence to the MacOS watch cursor on a
purplish background. I can even move the watch if I move the mouse
right after rebooting, but the text underneath is still gone.)

Shut-down does what is should; mac-boot brings up OS 9.1 so the
machine isn't totally dead. Sadly, I can't even boot from the
installation CD to try to fix things. Holding down "c" doesn't boot
from the CD and holding down "option" gets me to the above. (Sometimes
I see parts of the graphical boot volume selection screen before the
screen turns white and the above message appears, but not always.)

What am I doing wrong? Or better yet, what should I do to get back to
being able to boot linux?

Mark

--
Mark K. Gardner
RADIANT Team, Advanced Computing (CCS-1)

WWW:   http://public.lanl.gov/mkg/
Phone: 1-505-665-4953
--

2. .plan file

3. How can i alloc a big phys mem for DMA?

4. Exiting MINICOM the right way???HOW

5. Big Big Big CORE Image !!

6. README: Where to find information about Linux (25 July 1992)

7. I have a BIG, BIG,BIG problem with DOSEMU 0.98.5.

8. Caldera Netware access on other Linux

9. Big, Big Very BIG SCSI DISK

10. Need System Call to return %MEM (kernel mem) used by process

11. Patch 2.4.18-pre9-SERIAL:Address in use error, mem based cards

12. FPM main mem mixed with EDO video mem

13. Mem > 64MBytes: whereis is patch