Bidirectional I/O through EPP/ECP

Post by Rene de Jon » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I would like to know if it is possible to use an EPP/ECP port for
bidirectional I/O purposes. If so, how is it done?

I am planning to use it for a Dallas One Wire (aka MicroLan)
application.

Thanks in advance.

Rene de Jong

Post by Roger Schreite » Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> I would like to know if it is possible to use an EPP/ECP port for
> bidirectional I/O purposes. If so, how is it done?

inside the kernels 2.1.x the whole parallel port traffic
is done via the parport kernel moduls. They include support
for EPP (bidirectional) and will soon support ECP support.

Get a new kernel archive, unpack it and look for the
file parport.doc or parport.txt!

Roger.

1. EPP/ECP parallel ports

My mobo has the usual options of EPP and ECP, but also has an EPP + ECP
option. Some of the "extras" I occasionally use on my port need ecp, and
some work better with epp (notably a parallel zip drive). The mobo settings
imply that the port can be switched from one mode to the other in software
if EPP+ECP is selected, and indeed windoze does seem to do this (Hurrah!
Bill got *ONE* thing right!). However, under Linux, it always seems to
default to ecp with the ensuing dismal zip drive performance.

Is there a way of "persuading" these ports to adopt one mode or the other,
or do I really have to go into the bios and reset it everytime I switch
from using the zip drive to the other devices. (The other problem is that
Win2000 only recognizes the port as ecp+epp! If I set it to epp only, it
refuses to acknowledge the port exists at all! Take away Bill's brownie
points :-(

--
Pete

2. ANN: 'mailfmt' 1.3 Released

3. PLIP with EPP/SPP/ECP?

4. Problems with AIX 4.1.5 after y2k patches

5. ECP/EPP support for Linux?

6. the internet worm

7. Support for ECP and EPP?

8. vuzkern-/strings-Problem

9. Linux support for ECP/EPP (IEEE1284)?

10. SIIG JJ-PP00112 PCI-Single ECP/EPP parallel port

11. programming for the parallel port in ECP mode & EPP mode

12. Iomega ZIP Drive Parallel Port Settings: SPP, ECP, EPP

13. EPP/ECP support?