Micro$hit claims links and IPV6?!?

Post by Sellar » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I almost didn't believe... but its true. Micro$hit has published an
article in its site giving self-credit for symbolic lynks and IPV6
development!!!!

I first saw this stupid and yet funny news at Slashdot
(www.slashdot.org) and went to Micro$hit site to check it out
(http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2000/02-28w2k.asp)

What do you think guys?

--
Sellaro

Laboratorio do Mestrado em Ciencia da Computacao
Network Administrator - Departamento de Computacao - UFC

PGP Key Available Upon Request

Post by Joe Pfeiffe » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I almost didn't believe... but its true. Micro$hit has published an
> article in its site giving self-credit for symbolic lynks and IPV6
> development!!!!

> I first saw this stupid and yet funny news at Slashdot
> (www.slashdot.org) and went to Micro$hit site to check it out
> (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2000/02-28w2k.asp)

In fairness, Single Instance Store is a bit different from symbolic
links -- they claim to automatically recognize that two files with
different names have the same content, and set up the link
automatically.  And they only claim to have worked on IPv6, not to be
responsible for it ``Microsoft researchers have been working with the
Internet standards body known as the Internet Engineering Task Force
(IETF) to develop the standard and have developed a prototype for
Windows 2000 that can be downloaded from the Microsoft Research Web site.''
--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002

Post by Bob Tenne » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

 >I almost didn't believe... but its true. Micro$hit has published an
 >article in its site giving self-credit for symbolic lynks and IPV6
 >development!!!!
 >
 >I first saw this stupid and yet funny news at Slashdot
 >(www.slashdot.org) and went to Micro$hit site to check it out
 >(http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2000/02-28w2k.asp)

It's *automatic* links.  The system discovers for itself
that file a and file b are identical and stores them once.
But if you make a change in one, what happens to the other?
I don't know about you, but I want to control what happens!
And what will happen when one makes a back up copy?  Is this what's
needed now that huge hard drives are going for $200?

Bob T.

Post by Erik de Castro Lop » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I almost didn't believe... but its true. Micro$hit has published an
> article in its site giving self-credit for symbolic lynks and IPV6
> development!!!!

> I first saw this stupid and yet funny news at Slashdot
> (www.slashdot.org) and went to Micro$hit site to check it out
> (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2000/02-28w2k.asp)

> What do you think guys?

Thats DAMN funnny. I can't wait to here os more micros~1 "innovations".

Erik

"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the
day they start making vacuum cleaners." -- Ernst Jan Plugge

Micro$hit claims links and IPV6?!?

Post by Sellar » Sat, 04 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> In fairness, Single Instance Store is a bit different from symbolic
> links -- they claim to automatically recognize that two files with
> different names have the same content, and set up the link
> automatically.  And they only claim to have worked on IPv6, not to be
> responsible for it ``Microsoft researchers have been working with the
> Internet standards body known as the Internet Engineering Task Force
> (IETF) to develop the standard and have developed a prototype for
> Windows 2000 that can be downloaded from the Microsoft Research Web site.''

Wow... and why that bullshit of 'micro$hit researchers were having a
brainstorm and hought: Oh my God, we are such a stupid individual. Why do
we spend so many bytes copying files when we ould make just references to
it?' Then the stupid-mor, Bill Gates has approved and 1 1/2 year for full
time developpment... come on.

A simple diff/comp and a ln -s with some rm here and ther could do  the
same in Unix environment since the World IS world... No
windows-only-press-oriented papers for this.

--

Post by Mark Tranchan » Sat, 04 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>I almost didn't believe... but its true. Microsoft has published an
>article in its site giving self-credit for symbolic lynks and IPV6
>development!!!!

>I first saw this stupid and yet funny news at Slashdot
>(www.slashdot.org) and went to Microsoft site to check it out
>(http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2000/02-28w2k.asp)

Read the article properly. Single Instance Store is more than that - the
system identifies duplicate files and does the linking, not the user. Sure,
you could achieve the same thing with UNIX, but you'd be doing all the work.

Admittedly, the first paragraph is amusing on first glance, and they do give
the impression that symlinks are their new idea, but that's not the point.
I'm not sure about the space gains they quote though, or the CPU use. I
might want duplicates, too!

Please refer to Microsoft by their real name (corrected above). It's not
amusing any more to mangle their name, and it gives the Linux community a
bad reputation.

Mark.

Micro$hit claims links and IPV6?!?

Post by Jan Pantelt » Sat, 04 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Please refer to Microsoft by their real name (corrected above). It's not
>amusing any more to mangle their name, and it gives the Linux community a
>bad reputation.

>Mark.

Oh do away, that bunch of criminals at Milli Soff has no name worth mentioning,
do not put your moralistic *up here, you only speak for yourself and MICROSOFF
God

Micro$hit claims links and IPV6?!?

Post by Atle » Sun, 05 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Mark Tranchant

Quote:

> Please refer to Microsoft by their real name (corrected above). It's not

I like the idea, any occurence of M-$h..t autmatically corrected to
Microsoft, $omehow the fingers will not li$ten, they $omehow don\t like
to $pell MicroBrain^h^h^h^h$^h ...

Post by Atle » Tue, 07 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Mark Tranchant

> > Please refer to Microsoft by their real name (corrected above). It's not

> I like the idea, any occurence of M-$h..t autmatically corrected to
> Microsoft, $omehow the fingers will not li$ten, they $omehow don\t like
> to $pell MicroBrain^h^h^h^h$^h ...

Only kidding ....

Micro$hit claims links and IPV6?!?

Post by Atle » Tue, 07 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Fortunately :-) this will NOT work with the German 'misspelling' of M$ , which is
> "Winzig-Weich" , which might be translated back into something like "tiny-weak" ;-)

Why? What is a $ doing in German anyway? Tell the story :-)

Post by Harald Finste » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> > Mark Tranchant

> > > Please refer to Microsoft by their real name (corrected above). It's not

> > I like the idea, any occurence of M-$h..t autmatically corrected to
> > Microsoft, $omehow the fingers will not li$ten, they $omehow don\t like
> > to $pell MicroBrain^h^h^h^h$^h ...
> Only kidding ....

Fortunately :-) this will NOT work with the German 'misspelling' of M$ , which is
"Winzig-Weich" , which might be translated back into something like "tiny-weak" ;-)

Harald

--
Harald Finster
-

Micro$hit claims links and IPV6?!?

Post by Harald Finste » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> > Fortunately :-) this will NOT work with the German 'misspelling' of M$ , which is
> > "Winzig-Weich" , which might be translated back into something like "tiny-weak" ;-)
> Why? What is a $ doing in German anyway? Tell the story :-)

seems that "Winzig-Weich" is a misspelling of "M$" which is a misspelling of "MicroSoft".
So boolean algebra leads to the conclusion, that "Winzig-Weich" is a mis-mis-spelling
of "MicroSoft", i.e. it is a correct spelling (just like double inversion :-)

Harald

--
Harald Finster
-
Windoze can be used on the North-Pole without any problems,
... because a frozen computer can't freeze

1. NOVELL HITS BACK AT SCO ON UNIX CLAIMS

Posted May 29, 2003 4:05 AM Pacific Time

Novell is taking The SCO Group to task over SCO's legal claims
over Unix and against Linux software.

Novell on Wednesday said it never transferred the copyrights
and patents of Unix System V when it sold the software to SCO
in 1995. SCO claims all Unix flavors in use today are based
on Unix System V, and that it owns the software code and
licensing rights to that software.

For the full story:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/05/29/HNnovellsco_1.html

2. Solaris 2.6 power management "broken"

3. link betwen RS6000 et micro computer

4. pico???

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. Re Posting files in tar.Z vice .Z format

7. count hits on external links.

8. Network error occured

9. IPv6: link-local address fails with invalid argument [kernel 2.4.3]

10. IPv6: Fix Prefix Length of Link-local Addresses

11. Avoiding IPV6 link local address after boot

12. ipv6 links/code

13. IPv6: Allow Both IPv6 and IPv4 Sockets on the Same Port Number (IPV6_V6ONLY Support)