How stable is Postgresql?

Post by Morde » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 09:38:50

How stable is PostgreSql these days?

How stable is Postgresql?

Post by Christopher Brown » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:52:38

Quote:> How stable is PostgreSql these days?

Quite.  It is not likely to be /more/ stable than your hardware; it is
likely that the quality of your hardware and power management will be
more of a factor than the ability of PostgreSQL to "stay up."
--

http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sgml.html
OS/2: Why marketing matters more than technology...

How stable is Postgresql?

Post by Ken Sodeman » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:51:14

> How stable is PostgreSql these days?

I have been using it for quite some time without any problems.

--
Ken Sodemann
http://webpages.charter.net/stuffle

How stable is Postgresql?

Post by Greg Copelan » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 02:19:24

> How stable is PostgreSql these days?

PostgreSQL is very stable and reliable.  It is used for some
pretty big databases.  Newer features are coming all the time
and stability remains a top priority.  In fact, stability
and spec conformance often takes first seat even over
speed.  Havind said that, speed is certainly improving with
almost every release.

For advocacy information, please see http://advocacy.postgresql.org.
Feel from to read the archived mailing lists for any specific
topics you may have.  The mailing lists also have a news gateway so
it's very possible you can go to comp.databases.postgresql.xxx to
find out more.  IIRC, the advocacy site even has papers by large
and/or well known companies that are using it.  Again, IIRC, more
papers are currently being prepared.

If advocacy isn't your cup of tea, go to http://www.postgresql.org.
Also, some reaches on google should provide tons of information as
well as lots of MySQL bashing.  ;)

Enjoy,

        Greg

1. Upgrade from 3.4-STABLE to 4.x-STABLE

Can someone help me upgrade from 3.4-STABLE to 4.x-STABLE?  I tried
getting the sources for RELENG_4, but then when I tried make
buildworld I got all sorts of compilation errors.

Then I saw a note that said I had to go to 4.1 first.  So I set
RELENG_4_1, but for that target I get no sources at all! (my /usr/src
is now empty)

I don't need help on how to build, I plan on following the UPDATING
instructions, but I am confused about what set of targets I should aim
for and in what order.  Can someone help me?  Thanks!

2. Communications packages?

3. 3.2-STABLE to 3.4-STABLE device name change

4. Help, Apache HTTPD on HPUX 10.01 !

5. 4.0-20000430-STABLE vs. 4.0-STABLE

6. Problem starting X

7. 2.2.8 Stable to 3.0 Stable Migration Question

8. Floppy problems, intermittent verify failures

9. FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE to 4.3-STABLE

10. STABLE versus stable

11. Upgrade from 2.1-Stable to 2.2-Stable

12. WHAT do They Mean 2.4.1 Stable when 2.4.0 was just released stable?

13. Need advice on stable hardware for 4 STABLE.