Trouble installing GLIB and GTK+

Trouble installing GLIB and GTK+

Post by Carlos Moren » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00



Hi there,

I'm trying out the book "Developing Linux Applications with GTK+
and GDK".  I'm first trying to install the software, following the
exact instructions from the book.  I downloaded versions 1.2.3 from
www.gtk.org to my RedHat Linux 5.2

Ok, I first install GLIB, I run /sbin/ldconfig (which I have no
idea what it means -- the book says "you may need to run /sbin...
to configure the libraries"), I reboot, and then, when trying to
install GTK+, it tells me that it doesn't find GLIB, that GLIB 1.2.3
or higher is required.

After some struggle, I realized that I had to manually set the path
to /usr/local/bin (I have no idea why the install program doesn't
do it).  Anyway, now it gives e a strange message, telling me
that the test program compiled but did not run, that this usually
means that the libraries are not properly configures.  It mentions
something about an environment variable LIB_???_PATH.  I tried
setting manually that variable to point to /usr/local/lib, but
without success.

Anyone can figure out what I'm doing wrong?  Or what am I missing?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks, and have a nice day,

Carlos
--
My actual e-mail address is moreno at mochima dot com

 
 
 

Trouble installing GLIB and GTK+

Post by Robert Wues » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00



> Hi there,
snip
> After some struggle, I realized that I had to manually set the path
> to /usr/local/bin (I have no idea why the install program doesn't
> do it).  Anyway, now it gives e a strange message, telling me
> that the test program compiled but did not run, that this usually
> means that the libraries are not properly configures.  It mentions
> something about an environment variable LIB_???_PATH.  I tried
> setting manually that variable to point to /usr/local/lib, but
> without success.

I don't understand why redhat does this WRONG after all these years,
release after release and it still goes unfixed.

Make sure you have /usr/local/lib in /etc/ld.so.config.  Then rerun
/sbin/ldconfig.  That will find all the libs in the directories spec'd
in ld.so.conf and make a cache file listing what's on the system.

Robert

 
 
 

Trouble installing GLIB and GTK+

Post by Emile van berge » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00


[snipped glib installation problems... what do the readme's say?]

Quote:>After some struggle, I realized that I had to manually set the path
>to /usr/local/bin (I have no idea why the install program doesn't
>do it).

Well, an installation script writer who even _considers_ putting
something in the procedure that tries to be smart with /etc/profile
and friends should be shot on the spot, IMHO. May I refresh your
memory and remind you of DOS and all those wonderful installers that
always managed to fsck up your autoexec.bat? Don't mention, it was a
pleasure.

What would be nice though if the installation script printed a list of
things that should be added in the appropriate places by the sysadmin,
for those among them who don't care about the documents accompanying
the package in question and like to type 'make install' right after
downloading.

Just my two cents.

--

M.vr.gr. / Best regards,


This e-mail message is 100% electronically degradeable and produced
on a GNU/Linux system.

 
 
 

Trouble installing GLIB and GTK+

Post by Carlos Moren » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00



> >After some struggle, I realized that I had to manually set the path
> >to /usr/local/bin (I have no idea why the install program doesn't
> >do it).

> Well, an installation script writer who even _considers_ putting
> something in the procedure that tries to be smart with /etc/profile
> and friends should be shot on the spot, IMHO. May I refresh your
> memory and remind you of DOS and all those wonderful installers that
> always managed to fsck up your autoexec.bat? Don't mention, it was a
> pleasure.

Well, I was being a little indecent (comparing to install programs
for things like Windows NT), but not *that* indecent to have DOS
in mind  :-)

Quote:> What would be nice though if the installation script printed a list of
> things that should be added in the appropriate places by the sysadmin,
> for those among them who don't care about the documents accompanying
> the package in question and like to type 'make install' right after
> downloading.

You do have a point.  I was following the instructions in the book,
which fo obvious reasons are incomplete.  Mea culpa  :-)  But yes,
I think it would be nice that install programs were "self-contained"
and didn't require any extra pieces accompanying them  (doesn't that
break the object oriented phylosophy??  :-))

Anyway, thanks for your comments!

Carlos
--
moreno at mochima dot com

 
 
 

Trouble installing GLIB and GTK+

Post by Joe Polvin » Thu, 03 Jun 1999 04:00:00



>Hi there,

>I'm trying out the book "Developing Linux Applications with GTK+
>and GDK".  I'm first trying to install the software, following the
>exact instructions from the book.  I downloaded versions 1.2.3 from
>www.gtk.org to my RedHat Linux 5.2

[woes of installing deleted]

Carlos,

Did you install from source? I've found that installing tar'd source always
works for me. You can find it all at http://www.labs.redhat.com/imlib/

I recently installed GTK+ and Imlib. If I remember correctly, I installed
them in this order:
1. tiff 3.4
2. zlib 1.1.2
3. libungif 3.0
4. libpng 1.0.1
5. jpegsrc 6b
6. gdkrgb 0.9.0
7. libgr 2.0.13
8. glib 1.1.3
9. GTK+ 1.1.2
10. imlib 1.9.2 (I installed this for rendering purposes; it makes gdk_imlib
and regular imlib)

The basic steps for each were:
1. cd to the directory
2. ./configure
3. make
4. su; make install

It helps if you have autoconf and automake. Also most configure programs
look for xxxx-config apps from packages it needs to compile. The config apps
relieve you from specifying paths by hand by telling configure where to find
the libraries, includes and other goodies. You use the same xxxx-config app
in your makefiles to do the same thing.

Installing from source is a bit more work, but I found that it helps me
understand how packages are built and installed. Good luck.

-joe