VMS as a career move ( was Re: HP admits it will kill VMS if merger suceeds)

VMS as a career move ( was Re: HP admits it will kill VMS if merger suceeds)

Post by israel r » Sun, 30 Dec 2001 18:56:37

On Sat, 29 Dec 2001 03:16:33 -0500, JF Mezei

>I regret getting involved in VMS. It was a very bad business move. Don't focus
>on a losing operating system where people debate whether to create a dedicated
>newsgroup to discuss its impending death.

I have a client who looks after the VMS systems at one of the leading
teaching hospitals in Sydney.

He sees more and more Unix and NT boxes being brought in. He says that
he is often asked "when do you plan to retire" . He is 53 years old.
They cannot sack him even when the VMS machines eventually go in
another 3 to 4 years .  Australian industrial law makes it almost
impossible to sack someone except for criminal acts .

He found it funny in the beginning . After all, he has  little or no
work to do, he has guaranteed  lifetime job security and receives a
six figure salary . However , he now has started to feel humiliated by
the frequent "when do you plan to retire" and is retraining in Oracle
on Unix boxes.

VMS as a career move ( was Re: HP admits it will kill VMS if merger suceeds)

Post by Patrick You » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 00:33:28

Quote:> I have a client who looks after the VMS systems at one of the leading
> teaching hospitals in Sydney.

> He sees more and more Unix and NT boxes being brought in. He says that

Funny that - I did at one point. Everyone wanted their own web site, and
their own "Server". The resultant mess was something indeed to behold.

My only competitor these days is Novell. NT sort of stalled (yes I did
have a hand in that) on the "server" (I *$#$%HATE$#& that word to
describe a computer running a non M$ OS) end of things.

Tru64 will be around for a while for the UNIX only requirements.

All the web stuff - OpenVMS/Apache now.

Now, would you please go troll someplace else????

VMS as a career move ( was Re: HP admits it will kill VMS if merger suceeds)

Post by rcarte » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 01:09:02

I wonder how long True64 will be around. Compaq has already announced they
will stop making Alpha chips - it's a lot cheaper to buy an intel box and
run Linux. At work we are in the process of replacing our aging Alphas with
Dell supplied RH7.1 boxes - much faster, fairly inexpensive, and minimal
porting problems so far.

Post by Jerry Lesl » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 03:29:23

: I wonder how long True64 will be around.
:

   http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2100182,00.html
   ZDNet |UK| - News - Story - HP brings Unixes together

   HP brings Unixes together

   15:29 Friday 30th November 2001
   Martin Veitch, IT Week

  "The HP-UX system will form the bulk of the post-merger company's Unix
   server offering

   Hewlett-Packard's HP-UX is to continue to form the bulk of the firm's
   Unix offering after the acquisition of Compaq is completed next year.
   This will mean upheaval for firms using Compaq's Tru64 Unix as
   elements of Tru64 are added to HP-UX and, as previously announced, the
   AlphaServer family is slowly phased out..."

   http://www.theinquirer.net/28120102.htm
   Compaq readying Tru64 layoffs

   Compaq readying Tru64 layoffs
   HP or no HP

   By Mike Magee, 28/12/2001 09:32:14 BST

  "SOURCES AT COMPAQ Germany tell the INQUIRER that the firm is readying
   layoffs of staff working on its version of Unix, Tru64, whether the
   takeover deal between it and Hewlett Packard happens or not..."

--Jerry Leslie     (my opinions are strictly my own)

VMS as a career move ( was Re: HP admits it will kill VMS if merger suceeds)

Post by Howard S Shub » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 03:13:35

Quote:> I wonder how long True64 will be around. Compaq has already announced they

You might as well spell it right while it's around: "Tru64"
--
Howard S Shubs
"Run in circles, scream and shout!"  "I hope you have good backups!"

VMS as a career move ( was Re: HP admits it will kill VMS if merger suceeds)

Post by jo.. » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 04:17:34

I too am an old VMS Systems Administrator. If I had a dollar for
everytime I was told that VMS was going away or being replaced,
getting tired of hearing it. I work for a major internet company that
has a VMS application at its core. I am surrounded by hot shot 20
somethings that think Unix is the only thing in the world worth using.
Little do they know that VMS could replace everything they use right
now, cheaper and faster. I get a good laugh everytime they have to
reboot a box because it is hung up.

I will continue to work with VMS until they kick me out the door! It
is not going anywhere for some time to come.

Joel Loveless
Senior System Adminstrator VMS

OpenVMS or die!

Post by Bob Ceculs » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 04:26:46

> On Sat, 29 Dec 2001 03:16:33 -0500, JF Mezei

> >I regret getting involved in VMS. It was a very bad business move. Don't focus
> >on a losing operating system where people debate whether to create a dedicated
> >newsgroup to discuss its impending death.

> I have a client who looks after the VMS systems at one of the leading
> teaching hospitals in Sydney.

> He sees more and more Unix and NT boxes being brought in. He says that
> he is often asked "when do you plan to retire" . He is 53 years old.
> They cannot sack him even when the VMS machines eventually go in
> another 3 to 4 years .  Australian industrial law makes it almost
> impossible to sack someone except for criminal acts .

> He found it funny in the beginning . After all, he has  little or no
> work to do, he has guaranteed  lifetime job security and receives a
> six figure salary . However , he now has started to feel humiliated by
> the frequent "when do you plan to retire" and is retraining in Oracle
> on Unix boxes.

tell him we feel so sorry for him and send him our deepest sympathy now that
he no longer operates on the most secure, reliable OS ever ...

Post by Peter da Sil » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 07:54:29

>    Hewlett-Packard's HP-UX is to continue to form the bulk of the firm's
>    Unix offering after the acquisition of Compaq is completed next year.
>    This will mean upheaval for firms using Compaq's Tru64 Unix as
>    elements of Tru64 are added to HP-UX and, as previously announced, the
>    AlphaServer family is slowly phased out..."

That's like adding "elements" of a Ferrari to a Lincoln Town Car.

--
 `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
  'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."

         Disclaimer: WWFD?

Post by David J. Dachter » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 08:45:23

> I too am an old VMS Systems Administrator. If I had a dollar for
> everytime I was told that VMS was going away or being replaced,
> getting tired of hearing it. I work for a major internet company that
> has a VMS application at its core. I am surrounded by hot shot 20
> somethings that think Unix is the only thing in the world worth using.
> Little do they know that VMS could replace everything they use right
> now, cheaper and faster. I get a good laugh everytime they have to
> reboot a box because it is hung up.

> I will continue to work with VMS until they kick me out the door! It
> is not going anywhere for some time to come.

For your sake, I hope it's not sooner than you think.

I've been laid off from VMS shops two years running. Let's hope it
doesn't become three for three!

--
David J. Dachtera
dba DJE Systems

http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

Post by Charlie Ebe » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 08:49:31

>> I too am an old VMS Systems Administrator. If I had a dollar for
>> everytime I was told that VMS was going away or being replaced,
>> getting tired of hearing it. I work for a major internet company that
>> has a VMS application at its core. I am surrounded by hot shot 20
>> somethings that think Unix is the only thing in the world worth using.
>> Little do they know that VMS could replace everything they use right
>> now, cheaper and faster. I get a good laugh everytime they have to
>> reboot a box because it is hung up.

>> I will continue to work with VMS until they kick me out the door! It
>> is not going anywhere for some time to come.

> For your sake, I hope it's not sooner than you think.

> I've been laid off from VMS shops two years running. Let's hope it
> doesn't become three for three!

I don't see the HP - COMPAQ merger going thru.

Neither party want's it.

And it is my hope that your right.

--

Charlie

VMS as a career move ( was Re: HP admits it will kill VMS if merger suceeds)

Post by israel r » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 09:43:11

Quote:>>He says that he is often asked "when do you plan to retire" . He is 53 years old.
>> They cannot sack him even when the VMS machines eventually go in
>> another 3 to 4 years .  Australian industrial law makes it almost
>> impossible to sack someone except for criminal acts .

>> He found it funny in the beginning . After all, he has  little or no
>> work to do, he has guaranteed  lifetime job security and receives a
>> six figure salary .

>tell him we feel so sorry for him and send him our deepest sympathy now that
>he no longer operates on the most secure, reliable OS ever ...

One of the problems is that the 20-somethings that they would hire if
he left would only need to be paid a 5 figure salary....

BTW, I guess that you havent heard of Multics or its derivative STOP
(a B3 rated system currently being used by the DOD ).

Even SEVMS VAX Version 6.0 was only rated B2 ( and was never used
widely since it was obsolete when released. Steve Lipner worked on it
IRC ) while OpenVMS Vax is rated even lower at C2 along with NT 3.5
and 4.0.

http://www.radium.ncsc.mil/tpep/epl/epl-by-class.html

Post by Brian Schenkenberger, VAXma » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:45:02

>On Sat, 29 Dec 2001 19:17:34 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>I too am an old VMS Systems Administrator. If I had a dollar for
>>everytime I was told that VMS was going away or being replaced,
>>getting tired of hearing it. I work for a major internet company that
>>has a VMS application at its core. I am surrounded by hot shot 20
>>somethings that think Unix is the only thing in the world worth using.
>>Little do they know that VMS could replace everything they use right
>>now, cheaper and faster. I get a good laugh everytime they have to
>>reboot a box because it is hung up.

>>I will continue to work with VMS until they kick me out the door! It
>>is not going anywhere for some time to come.

>If it's that good then why isn't everyone using it?

Uh oh, here we go again... it's the 50 billion flies eat shit so it's
got to taste good argument.

--
VAXman- OpenVMS APE certification number: AAA-0001     VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM

  "And of course, I'm a genius, so people are naturally drawn to my fiery
  intellect.  Their admiration overwhelms their envy!" -- Calvin & Hobbes

Post by Jerry Lesl » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 13:56:27

:
: If it's that good then why isn't everyone using it?
:
If everyone is using "it", "it" must be good, thus Windows must be good.:-)

Post by David J. Dachter » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 14:08:15

> On Sat, 29 Dec 2001 19:17:34 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,

> >I too am an old VMS Systems Administrator. If I had a dollar for
> >everytime I was told that VMS was going away or being replaced,
> >getting tired of hearing it. I work for a major internet company that
> >has a VMS application at its core. I am surrounded by hot shot 20
> >somethings that think Unix is the only thing in the world worth using.
> >Little do they know that VMS could replace everything they use right
> >now, cheaper and faster. I get a good laugh everytime they have to
> >reboot a box because it is hung up.

> >I will continue to work with VMS until they kick me out the door! It
> >is not going anywhere for some time to come.

> If it's that good then why isn't everyone using it?

Troll alert or are you really that ... I don't even know which word
would be appropriate. "Stupid" would sound like I wanna start a fight.
"Callow" sounds like I'm attacking a younger person. "Myopic" is
appropos also, but still sounds like a "fighting word".

--
David J. Dachtera
dba DJE Systems

http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

Post by Doc.Cyphe » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 15:25:38

>>>He says that he is often asked "when do you plan to retire" . He is 53
>>>years old.
>>> They cannot sack him even when the VMS machines eventually go in
>>> another 3 to 4 years .  Australian industrial law makes it almost
>>> impossible to sack someone except for criminal acts .

>>> He found it funny in the beginning . After all, he has  little or no
>>> work to do, he has guaranteed  lifetime job security and receives a six
>>> figure
>>> salary .

>>tell him we feel so sorry for him and send him our deepest sympathy now
>>that he no
>>longer operates on the most secure, reliable OS ever ...

>One of the problems is that the 20-somethings that they would hire if
>he left would only need to be paid a 5 figure salary....

>BTW, I guess that you havent heard of Multics or its derivative STOP
>(a B3 rated system currently being used by the DOD ).

>Even SEVMS VAX Version 6.0 was only rated B2 ( and was never used
>widely since it was obsolete when released. Steve Lipner worked on it
>IRC ) while OpenVMS Vax is rated even lower at C2 along with NT 3.5
>and 4.0.

>http://www.radium.ncsc.mil/tpep/epl/epl-by-class.html

You really are a pathetic troll. Why did you have to crosspost to
comp.os.linux.advocacy? Couldn't take on the C.O.V. all on your own? Or did
you think it would be fun to try and start another set of OS wars?

BTW, if VMS is so insecure, why don't you hack the box at the address
below?

Doc.
--
The bigger the humbug, the better people will like it.
~ Phineas Taylor Barnum.                              http://vmsbox.cjb.net

1. Looking for VMS Patch and VMS ARC

Howdy,

I'm in need of a VMS versions of PATCH and ARC.  We use them
extensively on our PC's and would like to use them on our MicroVAXes
as well. Our customers are used to running ARC on their PCs and it
would be nice to have them on the uVAXes to reduce the telephone
long distance charges.

I've got sources to both the UNIX ARC program and UNIX PATCH, but
would prefer purchasing a supported version rather than port the
code myself.

Well, am I in luck or not?  If you have any leads, I'd love to hear

"...!tektronix!vice!budda!glennl".

                        Thanks,

                        Glenn

_   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _
 -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_-
_-                                                                 -_
 -_   Glenn C. Le Vernois     E-Mail: tektronix!vice!budda!glennl _-

 -_   P.O. Box 5567           MaBell: (503) 642-5983              _-
_-    Aloha, OR 97006-5567                                         -_
 -_                                                               _-
_-    "No Matter Where you Go, There you Are!" (B.Bonzai, 1990)    -_
 -_   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _-
_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_

2. KNode filters

3. Is a career in AIX Unix a good career move?

4. SCSI speed on Solaris 2.3?

6. Telnet/rlogin from vax-vms to hp-ux

7. Flash Device Driver for Linux

8. How to set a HP-Keyboard for VMS-Terminals (PF-Keys)

9. Reading VAX/VMS backup tapes on HP-UX 10.10

10. Telnet/rlogin vax-vms to hp-ux

11. Ok i admit it, I am an arsehole

12. I am an admitted unix idiot-please help!