Sound Blaster 16 problems on SuSe 7.31

Post by E. Carrill » Mon, 23 Apr 2001 08:43:06

Sound Blaster 16 problems on SuSe 7.31
I have a sound blaster 16 ISA card which works fine under windows, but I
can't make it work properly on linux.  The card does work the first time I
boot the system right after the linux installation. But as soon as I restart
the system the sound stops working.  During the boot up process I see a line
that says something like "initializing snd-card-sb16" and "Done" on the
right side of the screen with green letters.  If I try using the YaSt 2
setup program it recognizes the card, but during the sound test there is no
sound. It supposedly starts ALSA during the boot up process but that doesn't
seem to do any good.  I'm a total newbie to this linux world so if you can
help me please be as descriptive as you can. Thank you in advance.

Post by Aaron R. Kulki » Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:11:59

> Sound Blaster 16 problems on SuSe 7.31
> I have a sound blaster 16 ISA card which works fine under windows, but I
> can't make it work properly on linux.  The card does work the first time I
> boot the system right after the linux installation. But as soon as I restart
> the system the sound stops working.  During the boot up process I see a line
> that says something like "initializing snd-card-sb16" and "Done" on the
> right side of the screen with green letters.  If I try using the YaSt 2
> setup program it recognizes the card, but during the sound test there is no
> sound. It supposedly starts ALSA during the boot up process but that doesn't
> seem to do any good.  I'm a total newbie to this linux world so if you can
> help me please be as descriptive as you can. Thank you in advance.

SuSE 7.31???

Where the * did you get that?

They just released SuSE 7.1 last month.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

K: Truth in advertising:
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

    you are lazy, stupid people"

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

   *ery while concurrently committing *ery with Tammy Hahn.

   her behavior improves.

   ...despite (C) above.

   direction that she doesn't like.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Post by GreyClou » Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:55:13

> Sound Blaster 16 problems on SuSe 7.31
> I have a sound blaster 16 ISA card which works fine under windows, but I
> can't make it work properly on linux.  The card does work the first time I
> boot the system right after the linux installation. But as soon as I restart
> the system the sound stops working.  During the boot up process I see a line
> that says something like "initializing snd-card-sb16" and "Done" on the
> right side of the screen with green letters.  If I try using the YaSt 2
> setup program it recognizes the card, but during the sound test there is no
> sound. It supposedly starts ALSA during the boot up process but that doesn't
> seem to do any good.  I'm a total newbie to this linux world so if you can
> help me please be as descriptive as you can. Thank you in advance.

I've ran into the same problem.  When you use ALSA drivers you have to
disable all the sound drivers that Linux has defaulted to.  Its
basically an interrupt conflict when more than one sound driver is
active... the default one won't work but is hogging the resource.

Post by Matthew Gardine » Mon, 23 Apr 2001 19:21:53

> Sound Blaster 16 problems on SuSe 7.31
> I have a sound blaster 16 ISA card which works fine under windows, but I
> can't make it work properly on linux.  The card does work the first time I
> boot the system right after the linux installation. But as soon as I restart
> the system the sound stops working.  During the boot up process I see a line
> that says something like "initializing snd-card-sb16" and "Done" on the
> right side of the screen with green letters.  If I try using the YaSt 2
> setup program it recognizes the card, but during the sound test there is no
> sound. It supposedly starts ALSA during the boot up process but that doesn't
> seem to do any good.  I'm a total newbie to this linux world so if you can
> help me please be as descriptive as you can. Thank you in advance.

You will need to manually set it up via Yast 1 or 2, the IRQ is 10, the
DMA is 1,7 and the addresses are 220-228 (can't remember exactly),
however, you can get the IRQ's from Windows, then just use them when
yast requests them.

Matthew gardiner
--
I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

Running SuSE Linux 7.1

The best of German engineering, now in software form

1. Sound Blaster 16 problems on SuSe linux 7.1

I have a sound blaster 16 ISA card which works fine under windows, but I
can't make it work properly on linux.  The card does work the first time I
boot the system right after the linux installation. But as soon as I restart
the system the sound stops working.  During the boot up process I see a line
that says something like "initializing snd-card-sb16" and "Done" on the
right side of the screen with green letters.  If I try using the YaSt 2
setup program it recognizes the card, but during the sound test there is no
sound. It supposedly starts ALSA during the boot up process but that doesn't
seem to do any good.  I'm a total newbie to this linux world so if you can
help me please be as descriptive as you can. Thank you in advance.

2. Reset at booting kernel 2.0.x

3. In article 81A@compsci.liverpool.ac.uk, m3apc@csc.liv.ac.uk (A.P. Crossan) writes:

4. Sound Blaster SB 16 ISA sound card problems

5. Q: root login

6. Creative Sound Blaster 16 - SuSe Installation

7. Whence DiskSuite on Solaris 7?

8. Sound Blaster 16 (Vibra 16)

9. how to set up a sound blaster 16 sound card and a modem for dial-in

10. RH 7.2 && ISA Sound Blaster 16, no sound

11. Linux Rehat 6.0 ( Mandrake ) New Install - No Sound from Sound Blaster 16 - SCSI

12. Sound help needed [Sound Blaster 16 & wav_play]