Why aren't we discussing Linux in this group?

Why aren't we discussing Linux in this group?

Post by Spiceru » Thu, 15 May 2003 21:09:48

I, for one, am getting tired of seeing discussion after discussion after
discussion of why Windows does this, Windows is broken here, Windows blah,
blah, blah.

I know the Wintrolls post this garbage to completely sidetrack, overwhelm,
and disrupt this newsgroup so that there can be no meaningful dialog about
Linux.  I expect that from the Wintrolls.

Why do we, Linux Advocates, keep replying to this Windows Drivel?  By
doing so we are allowing the Wintrolls to accomplish their goals.  And if
it isn't bad enough, a lot of the replys carry the same quoted BS over and
over and over.  It is tiring, and the more this is done, the more it
renders this group unusable in any type of discussion about Linux.

I know it has been mentioned before, but whey don't we just ignore, or
politely post a short reply (without quoting the original article) that
Windows related articles/issues are best asked in other Windows related
newsgroups for any type of replys.  Don't make a super-long ranting thread
talking about that OS.  I, for you, want to see long threads about Linux,
not about MS Drivel.

This method works nicely in other newsgroups as well.  For example, in the
comp.os.os9 group (which is for Microware OS-9 Operating System), people
will often times ask MACOS9 questions, and they are politely told to
repost their question in a mac newsgroup to get an answer (one reply
only).  This works very well, and their group continues on with OS9 issues
without disruption.  Can't we do this here?  Also, Doing something like
this will let us, Linux advocates, determine the agenda of c.o.l.a. rather
than allowing the Wintrolls deciding for us what we can and can't discuss.
 Something to consider.

Post by Bo Grime » Thu, 15 May 2003 23:47:38

> Why do we, Linux Advocates, keep replying to this Windows Drivel?

Well, I try, mostly successfully, to ignore obvious trolls like Ms.Trollop
and general Linux suxs stuff, but to the extent the discussion is about
"the benefits of Linux *compared* to other operating systems," I think it's
fair game.

--
Bo G
"Mankind does nothing save through initiatives on the part of inventors,

Post by Roy Cull » Fri, 16 May 2003 00:03:36

>> Why do we, Linux Advocates, keep replying to this Windows Drivel?

> Well, I try, mostly successfully, to ignore obvious trolls like
> Ms.Trollop and general Linux suxs stuff, but to the extent the
> discussion is about "the benefits of Linux *compared* to other
> operating systems," I think it's fair game.

As others have pointed out, without the wintrolls COLA would be
boring.  Erik, Sam, simple Simon, wjbell (http://snipurl.com/1tg) do
make COLA fun. As for the rest kill filing by subthread does wonders.

1. why aren't 'esc' ~ 'break' recognized?

That's the expected behaviour of the ESCape key under UNIX terminal
applications.  Changing it would break many programs (anything using
emacs or vi editing keystrokes for a start).

Why do you think it should be "a break"?  And what do you mean by "a
break" anyway?

Univ. of California at Berkeley         http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/

2. Lilo failure when SCSI drive added/installed ...

3. Why aren't users' processes going away (Solaris 2.4)

4. SuSE6.3 and procmailrc

5. x86: Why aren't SCSI ID's 8-15 enabled?

6. sshd and X11 forwarding

7. Why aren't you using Linux?

8. How "free" is Solaris 7?

9. less technical user groups that aren't so over my head?

10. Released rpg game for Linux ... group to discuss it?

11. Why aren't *you* talking?

12. Why aren't there any binaries for BSD 4.3?

13. Wintrolls why aren't you FUD^H^H^Hpushing TCO?