file splitter

Post by TuxTra » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 12:57:53

Hi guys

I need a small command line utility that can fit on a single floppy, that
will split a large tar.gz file into multiple parts to fit on multiple
floppies, then reassemble the original file from the multiple floppies.

I used to have a windows utility that did this in my windows days. I am
sure it can easily be done in linux, I just don't know how. If this can
be done with tar itself, some help with the commands would be
appreciated.

thanks guys,

Mathew

--
TuxTrax   (n.) An invincible, all terrain, Linux driven armored *
vehicle that can take as much fire as it gives ;-)

Yes, I am a Penguin cult high priest. Fin readings upon request.

Amateur Radio Operator KD6MSI
www.tuxtrax.com

file splitter

Post by rapska » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 13:01:54

Error Log for Sat, 13 Apr 2002 06:57:53 -0400: segfault in module
"TuxTrax" - dump details are as follows...

Quote:> Hi guys

> I need a small command line utility that can fit on a single floppy,
> that will split a large tar.gz file into multiple parts to fit on
> multiple floppies, then reassemble the original file from the multiple
> floppies.

> I used to have a windows utility that did this in my windows days. I am
> sure it can easily be done in linux, I just don't know how. If this can
> be done with tar itself, some help with the commands would be
> appreciated.

> thanks guys,

> Mathew

Matt, I did an "apropos split" and got a few hits that may or may not be
what you are looking for.  The most promising seemed to be the split command and
the zipsplit command.

You may want to check them out for yourself and see if they are relevant
or not.

HTH

--
rapskat  -  6:55am  up 1 day,  3:17,  3 users,  load average: 0.21, 0.20, 0.18

The nearest way to glory is to strive to be what you wish to be, thought to be. -- Socrates.

file splitter

Post by Andrew Preate » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 13:40:54

Quote:> I need a small command line utility that can fit on a single floppy, that
> will split a large tar.gz file into multiple parts to fit on multiple
> floppies, then reassemble the original file from the multiple floppies.

Well, Linux comes with split which (wait for it) splits files into
chunks, would this be enough for what you want?  It's quite simple, but you
can specify splitting them to the size of your floppy disks if you like.
Then stitch them back together with cat.

--
Andrew Preater
Linux user #238547

file splitter

Post by yt.. » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 15:33:33

> Error Log for Sat, 13 Apr 2002 06:57:53 -0400: segfault in module
> "TuxTrax" - dump details are as follows...
>> Hi guys

>> I need a small command line utility that can fit on a single floppy,
>> that will split a large tar.gz file into multiple parts to fit on
>> multiple floppies, then reassemble the original file from the multiple
>> floppies.

>> I used to have a windows utility that did this in my windows days. I am
>> sure it can easily be done in linux, I just don't know how. If this can
>> be done with tar itself, some help with the commands would be
>> appreciated.

>> thanks guys,

>> Mathew

> Matt, I did an "apropos split" and got a few hits that may or may not be
> what you are looking for.  The most promising seemed to be the split command and
> the zipsplit command.

zipsplit is a hack, and not a common command.

Split works just fine for things like this; but you do have to know how
to use it.  Just a slight understanding of shellscripting (which you should
have anyway) also helps significantly.

-----.

--
"Hell, rocket science isn't even rocket science"
--A NASA rocket scientist, undernet, circa 1996

file splitter

Post by Roy Cull » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 15:33:30

Quote:> Hi guys

> I need a small command line utility that can fit on a single floppy, that
> will split a large tar.gz file into multiple parts to fit on multiple
> floppies, then reassemble the original file from the multiple floppies.

> I used to have a windows utility that did this in my windows days. I am
> sure it can easily be done in linux, I just don't know how. If this can
> be done with tar itself, some help with the commands would be
> appreciated.

Others have mentioned split. GNU tar also has the '-M' option to
do just this.

file splitter

Post by Sinister Midge » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 16:27:30

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002 05:57:53 -0500, TuxTrax claimed:

Quote:> Hi guys

> I need a small command line utility that can fit on a single floppy,
> that will split a large tar.gz file into multiple parts to fit on
> multiple floppies, then reassemble the original file from the multiple
> floppies.

> I used to have a windows utility that did this in my windows days. I am
> sure it can easily be done in linux, I just don't know how. If this can
> be done with tar itself, some help with the commands would be
> appreciated.

> thanks guys,

> Mathew

Take a look at lxsplit or hjsplit java, located here:

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

There are also a couple here that might be more suitable:

http://www.softlandmark.com/Linux/FileSplitters.htm

--
The box said "Windows XP or better. So I installed linux.

file splitter

Post by Andrew Preate » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 21:33:30

Quote:> Others have mentioned split. GNU tar also has the '-M' option to
> do just this.

Cool, I did not know tar had that built in!  Is there anything tar cannot do?

--
Andrew Preater
Linux user #238547

file splitter

Post by Joseph Ha » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 01:04:47

> Hi guys

> I need a small command line utility that can fit on a single floppy, that
> will split a large tar.gz file into multiple parts to fit on multiple
> floppies, then reassemble the original file from the multiple floppies.

$split --bytes=1400000 large.tar.gz bit

Will split the file large.tar.gz into bitaa, bitab, bitac, etc each
1400000 bytes in size (except the last).

$cat bitaa bitab bitac > large.tar.gz

Will put them back together again, in this case from 3 parts.

OK, so a floppy disk holds 1400 Kb which is a little more than 1400000
bytes, but I cannot be bothered to work out the exact figure.  You may
need to use one extra disk but so what.  ;-)

As an alternative, tar can make an archive over several disks but this
is probably only worth while if you are archiving many files.

Bye,

Joe

file splitter

Post by Edward Roste » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 01:30:42

> Hi guys

> I need a small command line utility that can fit on a single floppy, that
> will split a large tar.gz file into multiple parts to fit on multiple
> floppies, then reassemble the original file from the multiple floppies.

> I used to have a windows utility that did this in my windows days. I am
> sure it can easily be done in linux, I just don't know how. If this can
> be done with tar itself, some help with the commands would be
> appreciated.

> thanks guys,

> Mathew

this is nto strictly related to splitting files, but you may find it
useful. If you're trying to cram loads of stuff on to a disk, you may
first want to make this node:

mknod /dev/fd0H1772 b 2 60

This will create a 1.7MB floppy device. You'll want the floppies with
2.0M written on the front (rather than 1.4) if you don't want to mess
about with trial and error seeing which ones work.

Secondly, you can dispense with the filesystem to increase the avaliable
space. Once you've split the file, doing this:

cat part1 > /dev/floppy
#replace floppy
cat part2 > /dev/floppy
#repeat ad nauseum

dumps the data straight on to the floppy.

-Ed

--

/d{def}def/f{/Times findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5/m
{moveto}d -1 r 230 350 m 0 1 179{1 index show 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}

file splitter

Post by Donn Mille » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 07:23:00

>>Others have mentioned split. GNU tar also has the '-M' option to
>>do just this.

> Cool, I did not know tar had that built in!  Is there anything tar cannot do?

Probably check for bad sectors on the floppy.

file splitter

Post by Peter Haye » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 22:05:24

>> Hi guys

>> I need a small command line utility that can fit on a single floppy, that
>> will split a large tar.gz file into multiple parts to fit on multiple
>> floppies, then reassemble the original file from the multiple floppies.

>> I used to have a windows utility that did this in my windows days. I am
>> sure it can easily be done in linux, I just don't know how. If this can
>> be done with tar itself, some help with the commands would be
>> appreciated.

>> thanks guys,

>> Mathew

> this is nto strictly related to splitting files, but you may find it
> useful. If you're trying to cram loads of stuff on to a disk, you may
> first want to make this node:

> mknod /dev/fd0H1772 b 2 60

> This will create a 1.7MB floppy device. You'll want the floppies with
> 2.0M written on the front (rather than 1.4) if you don't want to mess
> about with trial and error seeing which ones work.

This *can* break the floppy disk drive, especially cheap ones.

--

Peter

file splitter

Post by Peter K?hlman » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 22:16:00

>>> Hi guys

>>> I need a small command line utility that can fit on a single floppy,
>>> that will split a large tar.gz file into multiple parts to fit on
>>> multiple floppies, then reassemble the original file from the multiple
>>> floppies.

>>> I used to have a windows utility that did this in my windows days. I am
>>> sure it can easily be done in linux, I just don't know how. If this can
>>> be done with tar itself, some help with the commands would be
>>> appreciated.

>>> thanks guys,

>>> Mathew

>> this is nto strictly related to splitting files, but you may find it
>> useful. If you're trying to cram loads of stuff on to a disk, you may
>> first want to make this node:

>> mknod /dev/fd0H1772 b 2 60

>> This will create a 1.7MB floppy device. You'll want the floppies with
>> 2.0M written on the front (rather than 1.4) if you don't want to mess
>> about with trial and error seeing which ones work.

> This *can* break the floppy disk drive, especially cheap ones.

No. The worst which could happen that it does not work (dependent on
quality of the disks)

Peter
--
Microsoft's Guide To System Design:
        The Cutting Edge of Obsolescence.

file splitter

Post by Edward Roste » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 22:26:47

>> this is nto strictly related to splitting files, but you may find it
>> useful. If you're trying to cram loads of stuff on to a disk, you may
>> first want to make this node:

>> mknod /dev/fd0H1772 b 2 60

>> This will create a 1.7MB floppy device. You'll want the floppies with
>> 2.0M written on the front (rather than 1.4) if you don't want to mess
>> about with trial and error seeing which ones work.

> This *can* break the floppy disk drive, especially cheap ones.

All even remotely new drives can deal with this. MS thought so circa
1995. If you remember, Win95 was on 1.7Mb floppies which made them harder
to copy. I have never heard of any outcry due to broken drives, so I'm
guesing it didn't happen.

-Ed

--

Post by TuxTra » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 22:44:26

>> Hi guys

>> I need a small command line utility that can fit on a single floppy,
>> that will split a large tar.gz file into multiple parts to fit on
>> multiple floppies, then reassemble the original file from the multiple
>> floppies.

> $split --bytes=1400000 large.tar.gz bit

> Will split the file large.tar.gz into bitaa, bitab, bitac, etc each
> 1400000 bytes in size (except the last).

> $cat bitaa bitab bitac > large.tar.gz

> Will put them back together again, in this case from 3 parts.

> OK, so a floppy disk holds 1400 Kb which is a little more than 1400000
> bytes, but I cannot be bothered to work out the exact figure.  You may
> need to use one extra disk but so what.  ;-)

> As an alternative, tar can make an archive over several disks but this
> is probably only worth while if you are archiving many files.

> Bye,

> Joe

Thanks to all. Joseph, I ended up using the method above, as it was
recommended by a couple other folks, and was dirt simple to do. Not only
dirt simple, but very reliable.

Trying to do the same thing with tar was way to complicated, and didn't
always give me the results I wanted. But split is just about fool proof.

The computer that I am taking the disks to ala sneaker net, is an old 486
that I just put a small version of a slackware based linux on called
basiclinux. I needed the compiler suite so I could do some compiling of
needed apps, but one of the files was two megs. This solved the problem.
After cat'ing them together, I used the slackware pkg command to install
the tar and there was much rejoicing. Thanks for your help, and to
everyone else, thanks for your suggestions as well. By the way, if you
ask me, pkg beats rpm any day of the week!

cheers,

Mathew

--
TuxTrax   (n.) An invincible, all terrain, Linux driven armored *
vehicle that can take as much fire as it gives ;-)
    ___
 __(   )====::
/~~~~~~~~~\
\O.O.O.O.O/

Yes, I am a Penguin cult high priest. Fin readings upon request.

Amateur Radio Operator KD6MSI
www.tuxtrax.com

1. Need file-splitter utility

Looking for suggestions.  I need to split VERY large files into evenly
sized "chunks".  I need a good way to say, "take this text file and
make 10 text files out of it each with roughly the same number of
rows".

I'm working on Solaris 2.6 and really need to stick with the standard
Unix utilities (like sed, awk, etc)... I just don't know if any of them
will do the trick.

Ideas?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Regarding an error while installing sol 9

3. 2-1 splitter-like jack to be used with CAT5 cables?

4. T-Online with Linux (SuSE6.0)

5. emerson phone line splitter

6. Resolving different domain names to different pages?

7. USB Splitter ?

8. Help! I can not drive my Zip!

9. Microfilter As DSL Splitter?

10. FIPS 0.1 alpha - nondestructive partition splitter

11. FIPS v1.1 partition splitter uploaded to sunsite and tsx-11

12. LP track splitter

13. FIPS nondestr. partition splitter V0.2 available