Real-time SNMP Monitoring

Post by alt » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 08:25:53

Hello folks:

This is kind of part two of my reasons I like linux. In my last rant, I
mentioned how much I liked the network utilities.

Well, in this installment, I've installked tkined and scotty. In case you
are not familiar with these tools, tkined is a visual network diagram that
also allows one to watch things like interface load on routers. Scotty is
an extension onto tkined (of which I'm not quite sure what it does).

I suppose I could have purchased a tool like HP OpenView (and if I did, it
would for sure be installed on HP-UX or Solaris), but this lets me get into
the guts and learn how the MIBs and OIDs work. A good learning experience.

All in all, I'm pleased so far with tkined. I'm looking for other tools to
use and would appreciate any suggestions. I've seen OpenNMS which is now at
version 1, and am going to try that out soon enough.

Thanks for letting me advocate Linux from a Network
Administrator/Technologist's point of view and keep the good Linux times
rolling :)

--
Linux: Because you can!

All Rise for the Microsoft Anthem: "BAAAAHH..."

Real-time SNMP Monitoring

Post by Florian S » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 13:36:42

> Hello folks:

> This is kind of part two of my reasons I like linux. In my last rant, I
> mentioned how much I liked the network utilities.

> Well, in this installment, I've installked tkined and scotty. In case you
> are not familiar with these tools, tkined is a visual network diagram
> that also allows one to watch things like interface load on routers.
> Scotty is an extension onto tkined (of which I'm not quite sure what it
> does).

> I suppose I could have purchased a tool like HP OpenView (and if I did,
> it would for sure be installed on HP-UX or Solaris), but this lets me get
> into the guts and learn how the MIBs and OIDs work. A good learning
> experience.

> All in all, I'm pleased so far with tkined. I'm looking for other tools
> to use and would appreciate any suggestions. I've seen OpenNMS which is
> now at version 1, and am going to try that out soon enough.

> Thanks for letting me advocate Linux from a Network
> Administrator/Technologist's point of view and keep the good Linux times
> rolling :)

Didn't know of them before...
Gotta try these tools...

Thanks for pointing them out!
--
Add the next two proper digits to the e-mail to mail me. (Think of pi ;)

Real-time SNMP Monitoring

Post by Stuart Fo » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 22:50:48

> Hello folks:

> This is kind of part two of my reasons I like linux. In my last rant, I
> mentioned how much I liked the network utilities.

> Well, in this installment, I've installked tkined and scotty. In case you
> are not familiar with these tools, tkined is a visual network diagram that
> also allows one to watch things like interface load on routers. Scotty is
> an extension onto tkined (of which I'm not quite sure what it does).

> I suppose I could have purchased a tool like HP OpenView (and if I did, it
> would for sure be installed on HP-UX or Solaris), but this lets me get
into
> the guts and learn how the MIBs and OIDs work. A good learning experience.

> All in all, I'm pleased so far with tkined. I'm looking for other tools to
> use and would appreciate any suggestions. I've seen OpenNMS which is now
at
> version 1, and am going to try that out soon enough.

How does it compare to mrtg?
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/

I assume because it's a SNMP tool, it shows more than just load?

1. help with real-time connection monitoring

hello all.

i was wondering if it was possible to watch all of the outgoing and
incoming (friendly and non-friendly) network traffic going through my
router, in real-time. i was thinking maybe the 'top' command, but i'm
not very familiar with this.

can anybody reccomend anything, or how to configure the top command to
watch traffic in real-time?

thanks much,
drew

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. virtual hosting panel ?

3. Real-Time Monitoring & Accounting of Network traffic

4. Good Interview!!

5. Real-time port 80 activity monitor, using graphs in console mode?

6. Ethernet problem is SunOS

7. real-time file monitoring at the kernel level

8. Sniffer suspect - how do I catch him??

9. Can I monitor real-time net traffic of a UNIX work station?

10. Real-time monitoring tools for BSD?

11. Real-time BSM monitor

12. "Real-Time" Time Display in Console

13. Mixed Time-Share & real-Time scheduling