Why I hate Linux: List of 9 (trolling please ignore)

Why I hate Linux: List of 9 (trolling please ignore)

Post by Michael Heimin » Sun, 15 Sep 2002 11:22:32



[Follow-up set correctly]


Quote:> What follows is a rant that has no real point and no evidence to
> backup anything I list on the pixel paper below.

> 1) I hate that Linux is becoming more and more user friendly.

> Windows=Linux

Yes, it's sometimes annoying, recently installed RH advanced
server, guess what, it decided to install X, and was unhappy about
not finding a keyboard/mouse/monitor, asked myself, what has this
to do with a server?

Quote:> 2) I hate lazy Linux users.

> Linux users are becoming lazy, just like Window users.

[..]

Linux attracts more and more clueless M$ user, that was expected if
you remember Linus "total world domination", which he IMHO in
reality only said, to stop asking reporter, the same stupid
question again and again.

Quote:> 3) I hate people that take Linux too seriously.

Sure, your problem might be, you don't even like yourself.;)

Quote:> 4) I hate people that say Linux is better than Windows.

> Windows is just as good as Linux.

Nope, it's a pice of crap, anyone who has tried using it for
serious computing, knows that. You didn't, else you wouldn't post
this.

[..]

Quote:> 5) I hate people that say Linux is free.

[..]
Sure, you can buy lots of distros/books, to get you going, on the
other hand, you can download most distros for free and install it
on thousands of systems, for free. If you think you are one of
those "real gurus", you give a shit about docs and hack your way
through the system;)

Quote:> 6) I hate Linux being called a 'hackers operating system'.

> What the * does that mean?!
> Come on, let's all be honest here. Who has really taken the source
> code to anything Linux and changed it to meet their real needs?
> I know a few people have but the average user....no.
> So stop calling it that you sound stupid.

Have done this more than once, in reality your are just a looser,
without source.

Quote:> --Snip--
> No Andrew, you are stupid!!! ha ha, har har. Blah.

> 7) I hate Linus Torvlads.

[See my answer to 3)]

I like Linus, read his book. Never met him, only wrote him a mail
once, he answered short time later and I could solve my problem;)

Out of historic reasons and for people with the same problem, saved
the mails.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Happy trolling

Michael Heiming
--
Remove the +SIGNS case you expect an answer.

 
 
 

Why I hate Linux: List of 9 (trolling please ignore)

Post by Charlie Eber » Sun, 15 Sep 2002 18:14:59



> [Follow-up set correctly]


> > What follows is a rant that has no real point and no evidence to
> > backup anything I list on the pixel paper below.

> > 1) I hate that Linux is becoming more and more user friendly.

> > Windows=Linux

> Yes, it's sometimes annoying, recently installed RH advanced
> server, guess what, it decided to install X, and was unhappy about
> not finding a keyboard/mouse/monitor, asked myself, what has this
> to do with a server?

Next time, try Debian advanced server.

Quote:> > 2) I hate lazy Linux users.

> > Linux users are becoming lazy, just like Window users.
> [..]

> Linux attracts more and more clueless M$ user, that was expected if
> you remember Linus "total world domination", which he IMHO in
> reality only said, to stop asking reporter, the same stupid
> question again and again.

Despite the fact that Toyota, Honda, and Nissan now own
80% of the American car market due to the fact their cars
were cheaper, clueless reporters still can't figure out
why Linux is suceeding.

Because it's better and cheaper.  

As they say in Asia "CHEEEAAAAPER"  
It is "CHEEAAAPER, don't you understand"

Quote:> > 3) I hate people that take Linux too seriously.

> Sure, your problem might be, you don't even like yourself.;)

If somebody took my debian workstation and server away
from me, I'd start scratching behind my ears and pooping
on the carpet. Might as well become a dog because
Hollywoody would be the only thing left.

Quote:> > 4) I hate people that say Linux is better than Windows.

> > Windows is just as good as Linux.

> Nope, it's a pice of crap, anyone who has tried using it for
> serious computing, knows that. You didn't, else you wouldn't post
> this.

> [..]

I have to agree.  Anybody who thinks XP is the equivalent of Linux
with KDE 2.0 is screwed in the mind.

Quote:> > 5) I hate people that say Linux is free.

> [..]
> Sure, you can buy lots of distros/books, to get you going, on the
> other hand, you can download most distros for free and install it
> on thousands of systems, for free. If you think you are one of
> those "real gurus", you give a shit about docs and hack your way
> through the system;)

The GPL license covers free software as in FREEDOM!

And you can download all distributions now over the net so it's
FREE as in FREE BEER as well.

Quote:

> > 6) I hate Linux being called a 'hackers operating system'.

> > What the * does that mean?!
> > Come on, let's all be honest here. Who has really taken the source
> > code to anything Linux and changed it to meet their real needs?
> > I know a few people have but the average user....no.
> > So stop calling it that you sound stupid.

> Have done this more than once, in reality your are just a looser,
> without source.

A Hacker is a person who likes to code on the Linux or other BSD
like licensed operating system in an effort to develop and expand
that system.

A Cracker is a person who intentionally writes viruses, and attacks
websites and other foreign machines.

There is a difference and Linux is a Hackers OS.  
It always has been.

I think the Linux community should file a class action lawsuit
against that satellite cable company who keeps playing ad's about
how their internet service helps keep hackers out of their
system making it safer for the public.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:> > --Snip--
> > No Andrew, you are stupid!!! ha ha, har har. Blah.

> > 7) I hate Linus Torvlads.
> [See my answer to 3)]

> I like Linus, read his book. Never met him, only wrote him a mail
> once, he answered short time later and I could solve my problem;)

> Out of historic reasons and for people with the same problem, saved
> the mails.

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> Happy trolling

> Michael Heiming
> --
> Remove the +SIGNS case you expect an answer.

Charlie

 
 
 

Why I hate Linux: List of 9 (trolling please ignore)

Post by Stephen Edward » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 00:59:05



> [Follow-up set correctly]


> > What follows is a rant that has no real point and no evidence to
> > backup anything I list on the pixel paper below.

> > 1) I hate that Linux is becoming more and more user friendly.

> > Windows=Linux

> Yes, it's sometimes annoying, recently installed RH advanced
> server, guess what, it decided to install X, and was unhappy about
> not finding a keyboard/mouse/monitor, asked myself, what has this
> to do with a server?

Was it a default installation, or did it force you to install
X regardless of your custom selection?

Personally, I still like to install operating systems like
GNU/Linux and NetBSD by hand. It takes a bit longer, but
once everything you want is working, you don't have to
mess around with anything else.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:> > 2) I hate lazy Linux users.

> > Linux users are becoming lazy, just like Window users.
> [..]

> Linux attracts more and more clueless M$ user, that was expected if
> you remember Linus "total world domination", which he IMHO in
> reality only said, to stop asking reporter, the same stupid
> question again and again.

> > 3) I hate people that take Linux too seriously.

> Sure, your problem might be, you don't even like yourself.;)

> > 4) I hate people that say Linux is better than Windows.

> > Windows is just as good as Linux.

> Nope, it's a pice of crap, anyone who has tried using it for
> serious computing, knows that. You didn't, else you wouldn't post
> this.

I wouldn't use "good" to describe either, since that term is
highly subjective. However, it's clear that GNU/Linux is far
more configurable and flexible than Windows ever will be.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:> > 5) I hate people that say Linux is free.

> [..]
> Sure, you can buy lots of distros/books, to get you going, on the
> other hand, you can download most distros for free and install it
> on thousands of systems, for free. If you think you are one of
> those "real gurus", you give a shit about docs and hack your way
> through the system;)

> > 6) I hate Linux being called a 'hackers operating system'.

> > What the * does that mean?!
> > Come on, let's all be honest here. Who has really taken the source
> > code to anything Linux and changed it to meet their real needs?
> > I know a few people have but the average user....no.
> > So stop calling it that you sound stupid.

> Have done this more than once, in reality your are just a looser,
> without source.

Actually, I rather agree with his statement. Most of the people
that I know who wail on about how wonderful it is to have the
source code to GNU/Linux are the same dolts who wouldn't have
the slightest idea what to do with it.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:> > --Snip--
> > No Andrew, you are stupid!!! ha ha, har har. Blah.

> > 7) I hate Linus Torvlads.
> [See my answer to 3)]

> I like Linus, read his book. Never met him, only wrote him a mail
> once, he answered short time later and I could solve my problem;)

> Out of historic reasons and for people with the same problem, saved
> the mails.

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> Happy trolling

> Michael Heiming
> --
> Remove the +SIGNS case you expect an answer.

--
if (strcmp(Microsoft, "alive") == 0) && (strcmp(you, "PC monkey") == 0) {
strcpy(username, "01100001 01101110 01100001 01101101"); // Decode binary
strcat(username, " 01101111 01110010 01110000 01101000"); // to contact me.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:} // % set HOST="extremezone.com"; cat whining | apathy > /dev/null; logout

 
 
 

Why I hate Linux: List of 9 (trolling please ignore)

Post by GeneralP » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 07:20:39


On Sat, 14 Sep 2002 22:29:32 +0800, d2002xx assert()ed:

> **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****


>> [Follow-up set correctly]


>      ||                                              ||
>    A wintrool who pretends to be a linux user.       ||
>                                                      ||
>                                                  Ghost server?

>>> What follows is a rant that has no real point and no evidence to
>>> backup anything I list on the pixel paper below.

>>> 1) I hate that Linux is becoming more and more user friendly.

> nooo!! It's idiot friendly, just see the wizard interface in GNOME and
> KDE.

>>> Windows=Linux

> some, not all.

>> Yes, it's sometimes annoying, recently installed RH advanced
>> server, guess what, it decided to install X, and was unhappy about
>> not finding a keyboard/mouse/monitor, asked myself, what has this
>> to do with a server?

> But I think using X is better, you can set fonts and transparent
> background, scroll the screen without running less. adjust the width
> and height of terminal to any size that you want, and see several
> programs running at the same time.

All of which is irrelevant, because servers are almost always unattended.
Why add X's overhead?

Ever been in a server room?  One monitor per rack.

--
General Protection Fault

 12:25am  up 4 days,  5:45,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00
Linux nitrogen.ertw.com 2.4.9-34 #1 Sat Jun 1 06:32:14 EDT 2002 i586 unknown

 
 
 

Why I hate Linux: List of 9 (trolling please ignore)

Post by d2002x » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:14:58


**** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****


> On Sat, 14 Sep 2002 22:29:32 +0800, d2002xx assert()ed:
>> **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****


>>> [Follow-up set correctly]


>>      ||                                              ||
>>    A wintrool who pretends to be a linux user.       ||
>>                                                      ||
>>                                                  Ghost server?

>>>> What follows is a rant that has no real point and no evidence to
>>>> backup anything I list on the pixel paper below.

>>>> 1) I hate that Linux is becoming more and more user friendly.

>> nooo!! It's idiot friendly, just see the wizard interface in GNOME and
>> KDE.

>>>> Windows=Linux

>> some, not all.

>>> Yes, it's sometimes annoying, recently installed RH advanced
>>> server, guess what, it decided to install X, and was unhappy about
>>> not finding a keyboard/mouse/monitor, asked myself, what has this
>>> to do with a server?

>> But I think using X is better, you can set fonts and transparent
>> background, scroll the screen without running less. adjust the width
>> and height of terminal to any size that you want, and see several
>> programs running at the same time.

> All of which is irrelevant, because servers are almost always unattended.
> Why add X's overhead?

I think most of time it's in idle. No problem here.

Quote:

> Ever been in a server room?  One monitor per rack.

But not zero. Why in the world there are some people have to see the
damned ugly console? They like?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 *** Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***
                      http://www.usenet.com
Unlimited Download - 19 Seperate Servers - 90,000 groups - Uncensored
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

 
 
 

Why I hate Linux: List of 9 (trolling please ignore)

Post by Roy Cull » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:54:08




Quote:> On Sat, 14 Sep 2002 22:29:32 +0800, d2002xx assert()ed:

>> But I think using X is better, you can set fonts and transparent
>> background, scroll the screen without running less. adjust the width
>> and height of terminal to any size that you want, and see several
>> programs running at the same time.

> All of which is irrelevant, because servers are almost always unattended.
> Why add X's overhead?

> Ever been in a server room?  One monitor per rack.

The racks where I work have no monitor. Don't need them. We use
cyclades (use Linux of course) terminal servers. Console access to all
servers via ssh. Grief, you mean people still need to go to the server
room after installing systems? :-)
 
 
 

Why I hate Linux: List of 9 (trolling please ignore)

Post by Mike » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:41:48




   Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 20:14:58 +0800
Partial reproduction follows:


>> All of which is irrelevant, because servers are almost always
>> unattended.  Why add X's overhead?
> I think most of time it's in idle. No problem here.

Memory usage, possibly security flaws, libraries it needs.  A web or
database server has no need for the X libraries, fonts, pixmaps, any
window manager/s, pretty terminals, web browsers, etc.

Quote:>> Ever been in a server room?  One monitor per rack.
> But not zero. Why in the world there are some people have to see the
> damned ugly console? They like?

It's not ugly, and they do.

More to the point,  very few *NIX server systems are administered at
the console, but by logging in remotely via ssh or somesuch.   Since
nobody ever sees what's on the console  (the only time they actually
have a monitor plugged is in during installation, or if there's some
hardware sort of failure) there's no point having a pretty console.

Even if the overheard of running a GUI on the box is very low, it is
still completely pointless because *nobody ever sees it*.  So why on
earth would you want it there? The scant resources it takes could be
better used doing something useful.

And the reason why it's never seen?  Because having to have physical
access to a box to configure it is a PITA,  and impractical in quite
a lot of situations.

And a Linux/BSD/*NIX box can be *completely* administered via ssh.
--
Mike.   Remove "-spam" to mail me.  Better yet, don't mail me. ;-)

 
 
 

Why I hate Linux: List of 9 (trolling please ignore)

Post by Johan Lindquis » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 19:19:11


On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 at 16:41 GMT, gazing longingly at the horizon,

felt a deep, passionate desire to let the following be known:

Quote:> And a Linux/BSD/*NIX box can be *completely* administered via ssh.

I'd say it not only can be, but is, about 100% of the time. But I'm
sure that's what you really meant. :)

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.      Perth ---> *
  7:18pm  up 8 days,  1:39,  4 users,  load average: 1.30, 1.18, 1.22
$ cat /dev/bollocks                      Registered Linux user #261729
cultivate scalable paradigms

 
 
 

Why I hate Linux: List of 9 (trolling please ignore)

Post by GeneralP » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 20:36:47


On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 20:14:58 +0800, d2002xx assert()ed:

> **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****


>> On Sat, 14 Sep 2002 22:29:32 +0800, d2002xx assert()ed:
>>> **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****


>>>> [Follow-up set correctly]


>>>      ||                                              ||
>>>    A wintrool who pretends to be a linux user.       ||
>>>                                                      ||
>>>                                                  Ghost server?

>>>>> What follows is a rant that has no real point and no evidence to
>>>>> backup anything I list on the pixel paper below.

>>>>> 1) I hate that Linux is becoming more and more user friendly.

>>> nooo!! It's idiot friendly, just see the wizard interface in GNOME and
>>> KDE.

>>>>> Windows=Linux

>>> some, not all.

>>>> Yes, it's sometimes annoying, recently installed RH advanced
>>>> server, guess what, it decided to install X, and was unhappy about
>>>> not finding a keyboard/mouse/monitor, asked myself, what has this
>>>> to do with a server?

>>> But I think using X is better, you can set fonts and transparent
>>> background, scroll the screen without running less. adjust the width
>>> and height of terminal to any size that you want, and see several
>>> programs running at the same time.

>> All of which is irrelevant, because servers are almost always unattended.
>> Why add X's overhead?

> I think most of time it's in idle. No problem here.

>> Ever been in a server room?  One monitor per rack.

> But not zero. Why in the world there are some people have to see the
> damned ugly console? They like?

In case of a crash.  To make sure new servers are plugged in properly.
Any number of reasons.

--
General Protection Fault

  1:45pm  up 4 days, 19:05,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
Linux nitrogen.ertw.com 2.4.9-34 #1 Sat Jun 1 06:32:14 EDT 2002 i586 unknown

 
 
 

Why I hate Linux: List of 9 (trolling please ignore)

Post by Johan Lindquis » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 20:59:02


On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 at 20:36 GMT, gazing longingly at the horizon,

felt a deep, passionate desire to let the following be known:

Quote:> On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 20:14:58 +0800, d2002xx assert()ed:
>> But not zero. Why in the world there are some people have to see
>> the damned ugly console? They like?

> In case of a crash. To make sure new servers are plugged in
> properly. Any number of reasons.

Any number beside "Ooh, I'm surely going to need a graphical shell on
this web server for when I feel like standing in this freezing cold
ac:ed server room with no furniture for no particular purpose since I
could more easily do this from my own comfy chair. Shiny.", that is.

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.      Perth ---> *
  8:48pm  up 8 days,  3:09,  4 users,  load average: 1.05, 1.05, 1.06
$ cat /dev/bollocks                      Registered Linux user #261729
utilize frictionless methodologies

 
 
 

Why I hate Linux: List of 9 (trolling please ignore)

Post by Mike » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 20:27:09




   Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 19:19:11 +0200
Partial reproduction follows:

> On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 at 16:41 GMT, gazing longingly at the horizon,

> felt a deep, passionate desire to let the following be known:
>> And a Linux/BSD/*NIX box can be *completely* administered via ssh.
> I'd say it not only can be, but is, about 100% of the time. But I'm
> sure that's what you really meant. :)

Never underestimate the powers of the newbie clueless admins,  young
Johan; for those who have grown up plagued by the disease of Windows
will surely suffer halucinations of Windows being a "server" OS, and
will become accustomed to such madness as having a complete GUI user
environment on their server.  These poor, lost souls, when migrating
to a more useful platform will indeed seek to interact with it as if
it were Windows; and these foolish souls will install X environments
and web browsers, media players and perhaps even *games*, upon their
hallowed *NIX "server", blissfully unaware of the pestilence such an
act will bring to their machine of servitude.

Or, uh, something to that effect. :-)
--
Mike.   Remove "-spam" to mail me.  Better yet, don't mail me. ;-)

 
 
 

1. REPOST: Why I hate Linux: List of 9 (trolling please ignore)

Originally posted on: 2002-09-13

What follows is a rant that has no real point and no evidence to
backup anything I list on the pixel paper below.

1) I hate that Linux is becoming more and more user friendly.

Windows=Linux

In my mind Linux is becoming an open source clone of Windows.
And because of that Linux is attracting an army of Windows E-tards.

If Linux never increased in popularity after today, I wouldn't mind.
Why do I care that other people like and use Linux? I don't.

2) I hate lazy Linux users.

Linux users are becoming lazy, just like Window users.

Watching (trolling) around alt.linux I've noticed the increase of
idiots asking questions to simple problems.

Now, I'm not going to judge the difficulty of a problem but when the
questions being asked are to problems that have the most documentation
out there, you start to wonder.

3) I hate people that take Linux too seriously.

My last troll post, "Screw Linux, I'm going back to Windows!" was an
obvious joke (like this post) yet all the self-righteous Linux
assholes ("gurus") loved taking the time to tell me I suck...which I
sort of respected since I'm an asshole myself but really....why so
serious?
I hate these people. I wished they would die. They do Linux harm.

4) I hate people that say Linux is better than Windows.

Windows is just as good as Linux.

I use both and can safely say that there isn't anything that Linux can
do that Windows can't. And to give me that bullshit that Windows cost
too much money....come on, who pays for anything that runs on Windows?
http://astalavista.box.sk
Who didn't own a "backup" copy of Windows 95/98?

5) I hate people that say Linux is free.

I hear that all the time. Find me one person that hasn't spent a
dollar on Linux and I will never post again (don't follow-up and tell
me you haven't because I'm lying).

From books to plush penguins, Linux is a moneymaker just like Windows
but not to the extent, yet.

And what major Linux web site doesn't have ads on it? Oh, oh. I'm
sorry those ad revenues are to cover the cost of running the site
only. *wink *wink

6) I hate Linux being called a 'hackers operating system'.

What the fuck does that mean?!
Come on, let's all be honest here. Who has really taken the source
code to anything Linux and changed it to meet their real needs?
I know a few people have but the average user....no.
So stop calling it that you sound stupid.

--Snip--
No Andrew, you are stupid!!! ha ha, har har. Blah.

7) I hate Linus Torvlads.

There I said it, I don't really mean it but I wanted to see it in
print for once. I really do like Linus but why the media makes him
into a saint, I will never know. Read his book, "Just for Fun" it's
peppered with sexual innuendos. Saint my ass.

8) I hate United Linux.

Being a standard sucks.

Whoever came up with this idea (www.unitedlinux.com) should be forced
to listen to this:
http://hallaudiobooks.com/audio_cds/257.shtml

9) And what I really hate.

When the last ice cube in a drinking glass sticks to the bottom.

Andrew
www.wbglinks.net

2. mulltiword arguments in C-shell

3. Why I hate Linux: List of 9 (trolling please ignore)

4. EIP change - system call implementation pbm

5. Why does Linux / OSS community love mailing lists and hate news servers?

6. tempnam() possibly used unsafely

7. AN OBVIOUS TROLL --> *** OBVIOUS CROSSPOST TROLL *** <--- AN OBVIOUS TROLL

8. How to read file modification date (mm-dd-yy) in Korn

9. troll (was Re: linux (was Re: troll (was Re: linux)))

10. Help: Linux mailing list hates me!

11. Why gs ignores Fontmap? Help please

12. BM hates Linux, LILO hates OS/2