World's second largest vendor of Windows machines chooses NT4 for Web Site

Post by Daero » Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:15:14

http://www.netcraft.com/survey/
World's second largest vendor of Windows machines chooses NT4 for Web
Site

What reason might Dell give for running www.dell.co.uk on NT4?

*  When we say "Upgrade!" you must do what we say, not do what we do.
*  We're still waiting for our order to be delivered.
*  It's not broke, and we don't need to fix it.
*  We're less of a target for attackers. There's no kudos in hacking *
*  anything more than 5 years old.
*  We've been evaluating Linux, and have not yet reached a decision.
*  It's just the front end machines. Everything else has been running
*  Windows 2003 for months. Honest!
*  The cobbler's children didn't have shoes, either.
*  That site doesn't see a lot of traffic. It just redirects to
www.euro.dell.com.
*  If you think that running NT4 doesn't do a lot for our product
advocacy, then you haven't seen what our evil competitor
www.computers.toshiba.co.uk runs.

The site www.computers.toshiba.co.uk is running
Netscape-Enterprise/6.0 on Solaris.

Post by Roy Cull » Tue, 18 Mar 2003 18:00:15

Quote:> http://www.netcraft.com/survey/
> World's second largest vendor of Windows machines chooses NT4 for Web
> Site

> What reason might Dell give for running www.dell.co.uk on NT4?

> *  When we say "Upgrade!" you must do what we say, not do what we do.
> *  We're still waiting for our order to be delivered.
> *  It's not broke, and we don't need to fix it.
> *  We're less of a target for attackers. There's no kudos in hacking *
> *  anything more than 5 years old.
> *  We've been evaluating Linux, and have not yet reached a decision.
> *  It's just the front end machines. Everything else has been running
> *  Windows 2003 for months. Honest!
> *  The cobbler's children didn't have shoes, either.
> *  That site doesn't see a lot of traffic. It just redirects to
> www.euro.dell.com.
> *  If you think that running NT4 doesn't do a lot for our product
> advocacy, then you haven't seen what our evil competitor
> www.computers.toshiba.co.uk runs.

*  We really want to run Linux but MS told us that we would then have to
   pay more for our OEM licenses.

Quote:> The site www.computers.toshiba.co.uk is running
> Netscape-Enterprise/6.0 on Solaris.

The site www.hp.com is running Apache on HP-UX.