win NT and matrox milennium

Post by Somphol Man » Tue, 18 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Anyone have experience about :   Ram EDO 32MB, PPRO 200 MHz

  ASUS X-P6NP5  +  Matrox Milenium  +  Dos
  ASUS X-P6NP5  +  Matrox Milenium  +  win 3.11
  ASUS X-P6NP5  +  Matrox Milenium  +  win 95,97,memfish
  ASUS X-P6NP5  +  Matrox Milenium  +  win NT 4.0
  ASUS X-P6NP5  +  Matrox Milenium  +  full screen mpeg playback
  ASUS X-P6NP5  +  Matrox Milenium  +  some 3D games

Thank you.

win NT and matrox milennium

Post by Antoin » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi!

I have a DX 4 100 with a WD 2.5gb hard disk formated in 2gb.

 Does anyone know if the BIOS upgrade sv2g0402.zip allows
to use the full space of the drive.

 I am actually with a 0305 BIOS.

Thanks for the information.

Bye.

win NT and matrox milennium

Post by Martin Liedt » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Hi!

>I have a DX 4 100 with a WD 2.5gb hard disk formated in 2gb.

> Does anyone know if the BIOS upgrade sv2g0402.zip allows
>to use the full space of the drive.

> I am actually with a 0305 BIOS.

>Thanks for the information.

>Bye.

Hi,
on the asus site in tw there they have written down
what has changed.
I think in 402 you can use enh. IDE so they will
see all the diskspace.
take a look at asus homepage and check it out.
Ciao Martin

win NT and matrox milennium

Post by Antoin » Sun, 23 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi!

 I must clarify my problem, because many don't understand it. (My fault)

 I have the BIOS SGV2 0305 on my DX 4 100. And the problem is that I can't
use my WD 2.5gb drive space.

 When I use auto detect, the BIOS reports a drive of 425Mb and when I set
it manually by translating myself, I found some correct replies in size by
the BIOS. But when I try to do my partitions the last one destroys the
begining of the drive (well the MBR and so on) when I format it.

 So in fact my BIOS cannot get over the 2gb limit. That's why I limited
my drive in the BIOS to 2gb and did my partitions.

 The sad thing about Asus (at least on the SG2V in which I'm interested)
is when you get (if you get) a Read Me file they never tell if the BIOS
limitations for a drive are changed. I assume they're not.

Bye.

> >Hi!

> >I have a DX 4 100 with a WD 2.5gb hard disk formated in 2gb.

> > Does anyone know if the BIOS upgrade sv2g0402.zip allows
> >to use the full space of the drive.

 I didn't find that information, except for processor changes.
Thanks anyway.
Quote:> Hi,
> on the asus site in tw there they have written down
> what has changed.
> I think in 402 you can use enh. IDE so they will
> see all the diskspace.
> take a look at asus homepage and check it out.
> Ciao Martin

win NT and matrox milennium

Post by E.A.Sarli » Tue, 25 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Hi!

>  I must clarify my problem, because many don't understand it. (My fault)

>  I have the BIOS SGV2 0305 on my DX 4 100. And the problem is that I can't
> use my WD 2.5gb drive space.

>  When I use auto detect, the BIOS reports a drive of 425Mb and when I set
> it manually by translating myself, I found some correct replies in size by
> the BIOS. But when I try to do my partitions the last one destroys the
> begining of the drive (well the MBR and so on) when I format it.

>  So in fact my BIOS cannot get over the 2gb limit. That's why I limited
> my drive in the BIOS to 2gb and did my partitions.

>  The sad thing about Asus (at least on the SG2V in which I'm interested)
> is when you get (if you get) a Read Me file they never tell if the BIOS
> limitations for a drive are changed. I assume they're not.

> Bye.

> > >Hi!

> > >I have a DX 4 100 with a WD 2.5gb hard disk formated in 2gb.

> > > Does anyone know if the BIOS upgrade sv2g0402.zip allows
> > >to use the full space of the drive.

>  I didn't find that information, except for processor changes.
> Thanks anyway.

> > Hi,
> > on the asus site in tw there they have written down
> > what has changed.
> > I think in 402 you can use enh. IDE so they will
> > see all the diskspace.
> > take a look at asus homepage and check it out.
> > Ciao Martin

Well how to put this:
The older Award bioses use 32bit signed variable when calculating
and telling the capacity of disk, others use ABS(value) kind of function
to get negative numbers positive, others overrun the counter,
and that is limited to 2G, so 2.5G is showed as about 500M and
example: My 2.58G Bigfoot shows as 462M on one machine and as -1.7G on
another
(under BIOS, Linux sees the whole disk perfectly)
some implementations show negative capacity, BUT if the BIOS indeed
knows the cyls/heads/sects correctly, and You can turn on LBA
translation in BIOS (It is possible in my Asus PVI486SP3)
and the disk is translated to the operatingsystem correctly, but
DOS-like opsyses
without LBA translation destroy the MBR and/or FAT after 1024th cylinder
is filled with something real (as opposed to formatting only).

following is divided for PC-DOS5.0 followers vs real operatingsystems
with LBA on:
opsyses like Win95 and other MSdoses can Fdisk an 2G partition and
an 400+Meg partition.

If You use one of the real operatingsystems
turn LBA Off (use normal or large translation)
boot from  bootable Floppy with Opsys installation Tape/CD/server
available and install the thing using Ext2FS or HPFS or NTFS
depending on the operating system

P.S. all info now on the disk will naturally be wiped off in this
process

--

 Opinions expressed here are intellectual property of
Eero A. Sarlin, EkiLab inc, possibly affiliated with other

     I deny to receive any non-subscribed commercial mass-mailings free,
if
such mailings are sent to me, I reserve the right to charge sender 500
$US
or more.

 Disputes of this fee can be solved court.

"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets
the definition of a telephone fax machine.  By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is
unlawful to send any unsolicited adverti*t to such equipment.  By
Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500, which
ever is greater.

win NT and matrox milennium

Post by rdileon » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Newsgroups: comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.os.linux.advocacy
> Subject: Asus SGV2 Bios update 0402
> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 00:30:10 +0100

> Hi!

> I have a DX 4 100 with a WD 2.5gb hard disk formated in 2gb.

>  Does anyone know if the BIOS upgrade sv2g0402.zip allows
> to use the full space of the drive.

>  I am actually with a 0305 BIOS.

> Thanks for the information.

> Bye.

Western Digital has a utility called EZ Drive  Ver 8.01W that lets you access
all of that hadr drive.

1. ASUS x-P6NP5 and Matrox Milennium ,Win NT ok ?

Anyone have experience about :   Ram EDO 32MB, PPRO 200 MHz

  ASUS X-P6NP5  +  Matrox Milenium  +  Dos
  ASUS X-P6NP5  +  Matrox Milenium  +  win 3.11
  ASUS X-P6NP5  +  Matrox Milenium  +  win 95,97,memfish
  ASUS X-P6NP5  +  Matrox Milenium  +  win NT 4.0
  ASUS X-P6NP5  +  Matrox Milenium  +  full screen mpeg playback
  ASUS X-P6NP5  +  Matrox Milenium  +  some 3D games

Thank you.

2. can iptables block inurl searches?

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. vi macro

5. Redhat 4.2 & Matrox Milennium

6. Linux Pentium Pro Box as NFS server?

7. MetroX with Matrox ULTIMA (not milennium!!)

8. X windows can't go SVGA HELP..... ;-)

9. Matrox Milennia MGA

10. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

11. SCO OSE 5, WIN 95, WIN NT and FTP Lockup Solved

12. Linux, Win 95, and Win NT Modem

13. Installing Linux/Win 95/Win NT