Getting paid for Unix work (Re: Line-Noise Monger Lantz (Re: Hate Monger Limbaugh))

Post by Gomez Addam » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > Gee, and I was starting to be impressed with you.

> Yell at the end users not me. The Win32 crowd pay for the software and
> support, the linux users wont take anything unless they have the source, and
> Sun wants me to PAY them to use Java in our software (JavaBean stuff and
> JavaServlets). So while I do have a Sun Slowaris port, it sells about 1 for
> every 100 copies or so of Win32.

> Bill F.

Not to brag, but... I get paid for working on Solaris.  The trick
is to stick to embedded work, not shrinkwrap apps.  The open source
movement is likely to kill off shrinkwrap someday.  But embedded
will never go away.

I used to get paid to work on NT, but I got fed up with all the
BS, so I bagged it.

Getting paid for Unix work (Re: Line-Noise Monger Lantz (Re: Hate Monger Limbaugh))

Post by Bill Frisbe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Not to brag, but... I get paid for working on Solaris.  The trick
> is to stick to embedded work, not shrinkwrap apps.  The open source
> movement is likely to kill off shrinkwrap someday.  But embedded
> will never go away.

> I used to get paid to work on NT, but I got fed up with all the
> BS, so I bagged it.

Yeah but I like my job. Hell in my office alone I have a WinNT machine, a
Win98 machine, a Win2000 machine, an Ultra5, a DataGeneral Aviion 3600 (quad
Pentium Pro 200 with a gig of ram and 4 raid towers)running NT and DG/UX, a
dual P2 450 running NT Server, a SuSE 6.0 machine, a RedHat 5.2 file server
and a IBM RS/6000 running AIX. Not many places I can go to get all these fun
toys.

Besides which we don't do embedded stuff here. OpenSource kill off shrink
wrap BUHAHAHHAHAHA....

Bill F.

Getting paid for Unix work (Re: Line-Noise Monger Lantz (Re: Hate Monger Limbaugh))

Post by rob » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

<snip>

Quote:> The open source movement is likely to kill off shrinkwrap someday.

<snip>

The interesting thing there is that RedHat sits next to Windows98
at the local Barnes&Noble... both shrinkwrapped.

rob.

Post by Matt Barringe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> <snip>
> > The open source movement is likely to kill off shrinkwrap someday.
> <snip>

> The interesting thing there is that RedHat sits next to Windows98
> at the local Barnes&Noble... both shrinkwrapped.

> rob.

Even more interesting (and heartening) is that at the local Borders, the
Unix books are gradually taking over the entire operating shelf.  Nice to
see those revolting "Learn How To Program for Windows" books.

Matt

Getting paid for Unix work (Re: Line-Noise Monger Lantz (Re: Hate Monger Limbaugh))

Post by John Drag » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Yes, but can you go to ftp.microsoft.com and download a free copy of
Windows98 and then if you really want technical service, you can buy the
shrinkwrapped ??

-=john=-

><snip>
>> The open source movement is likely to kill off shrinkwrap someday.
><snip>

>The interesting thing there is that RedHat sits next to Windows98
>at the local Barnes&Noble... both shrinkwrapped.

>rob.

Getting paid for Unix work (Re: Line-Noise Monger Lantz (Re: Hate Monger Limbaugh))

Post by Erik Olso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Yeah but I like my job. Hell in my office alone I have a WinNT machine, a
> Win98 machine, a Win2000 machine, an Ultra5, a DataGeneral Aviion 3600 (quad
> Pentium Pro 200 with a gig of ram and 4 raid towers)running NT and DG/UX, a
> dual P2 450 running NT Server, a SuSE 6.0 machine, a RedHat 5.2 file server
> and a IBM RS/6000 running AIX. Not many places I can go to get all these fun
> toys.

Now I wouldn't go bragging about something like that.
Actually I feel sorry for you.  (:

Your office must be incredibly loud and hot.

Quote:> Yeah but I like my job. Hell in my office alone I have ...

Ya, it does sound like Hell, what do you do?  Work for Microsoft?

erik olson

Getting paid for Unix work (Re: Line-Noise Monger Lantz (Re: Hate Monger Limbaugh))

Post by Bill Frisbe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Now I wouldn't go bragging about something like that.
> Actually I feel sorry for you.  (:

You must be a Mac user...

Quote:> Your office must be incredibly loud and hot.

Loud? Not a chance, well unless you are considering my Cambridge SoundWorks
PC System speakers cranking out the latest stuff from Metallica or Loreena
McKinett.

> Ya, it does sound like Hell, what do you do?  Work for Microsoft?

> erik olson

Sorry I use real hardware running REAL OS's. Microsoft nah...

Bill F.

Getting paid for Unix work (Re: Line-Noise Monger Lantz (Re: Hate Monger Limbaugh))

Post by Gomez Addam » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > Yeah but I like my job. Hell in my office alone I have a WinNT machine, a
> > Win98 machine, a Win2000 machine, an Ultra5, a DataGeneral Aviion 3600 (quad
> > Pentium Pro 200 with a gig of ram and 4 raid towers)running NT and DG/UX, a
> > dual P2 450 running NT Server, a SuSE 6.0 machine, a RedHat 5.2 file server
> > and a IBM RS/6000 running AIX. Not many places I can go to get all these fun
> > toys.

> Now I wouldn't go bragging about something like that.
> Actually I feel sorry for you.  (:

> Your office must be incredibly loud and hot.

> > Yeah but I like my job. Hell in my office alone I have ...

> Ya, it does sound like Hell, what do you do?  Work for Microsoft?

Now that was a low blow.

Getting paid for Unix work (Re: Line-Noise Monger Lantz (Re: Hate Monger Limbaugh))

Post by Gomez Addam » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > <snip>
> > > The open source movement is likely to kill off shrinkwrap someday.
> > <snip>

> > The interesting thing there is that RedHat sits next to Windows98
> > at the local Barnes&Noble... both shrinkwrapped.

> > rob.

> Even more interesting (and heartening) is that at the local Borders, the
> Unix books are gradually taking over the entire operating shelf.  Nice to
> see those revolting "Learn How To Program for Windows" books.

I saw a Linux for Dummies book recently.  Now that's just plain evil.

Post by jed » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> > <snip>
>> > <snip>

>> > The interesting thing there is that RedHat sits next to Windows98
>> > at the local Barnes&Noble... both shrinkwrapped.

>> > rob.

>> Even more interesting (and heartening) is that at the local Borders, the
>> Unix books are gradually taking over the entire operating shelf.  Nice to
>> see those revolting "Learn How To Program for Windows" books.

>I saw a Linux for Dummies book recently.  Now that's just plain evil.

        Yup. Since, linux for the most part is 'just another unix',
        "Unix for Dummies" should be more than sufficient. BSD
        manuals are also quite relevant to Linux sysadmin.

--

  "I was not elected to watch my people suffer an die      |||
   while you discuss this a invasion in committe."        / | \

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

Post by The Infernal On » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>>I saw a Linux for Dummies book recently.  Now that's just plain evil.
> Yup. Since, linux for the most part is 'just another unix',
> "Unix for Dummies" should be more than sufficient. BSD
> manuals are also quite relevant to Linux sysadmin.

Actually the book is more like a Redhat installation/homeuser
guide than anything else.

1. Commentary on Apple's rumor mongering.

http://www.rhapsodyos.com/editorial/stone/ST00003.html  said

"So I contend that we all need to cool our collective jets until the
World Wide Developer
Conference (WWDC) on May 11th - the appointed time for Apple to release
the
surprises around Rhapsody. Even well-placed Rhapsody developers with
ready to ship
shrinkwrap apps such as Stone Design are not privy to what's going down
inside Apple.
And this is a good thing, because it indicates to me that some really
interesting stuff is
going to be announced. "

Really interesting stuff?  Newton developers were kept in the dark the
 same way the Rhapsody developers are now be kept in the dark.  Look at
what happened to the newton developers.  The announcement certainly was
interesting.

"Because I have waited 10 years for NextStep/OpenStep/Rhapsody to be
available to
the mass market, I can wait a few more months. After all, it was Robert
Heinlein who
kept insisting in "Stranger in a Strange Land" that "Waiting is." In the
spirit of the
productive wait, here are ten things to do to pass the time until WWDC:
"

NeXTSTEP/Openstep was available to the mass-market for ten years,
and with the exception of the NSA and Wall Street, it was rejected.
Apple has not given a compelling reason to move to Yellow Box.
And Apple has no loyalty to its developers..look at the newton.

And although
http://www.rhapsodyos.com/report/RP00009.html says
 "The Yellow Box framework will be officially supported on Rhapsody,
Windows NT,
Windows 95/98, and MacOS. "

And well placed Apple sources said that the newton was
just fine.  It's now dead.  Until Apple issues and official
 press release or a white paper outlining where they are
going, if you are reading this article to make a corporate
decision on direction for development or deployment of
Rhapsody, do consider what Apple did to its newton developers.
And given apples emphasis on MacOS, consider where that puts
Rhapsody.  Consider the way Apple treated a core market,
education, with the Emate. Take into account the Nextstep
to openstep conversion problems noted in newsgroups.

And then ask yourself if accessing to a minority
of the computing market is worth the way Apple
has acted in the recent past.  Without a serious
commitment to NT 5.0/Win98 (and hopefully Solaris/HP-UX)
how useful is Rhapsody?  And if you wait till may, read
very carefully what Apple has said.

(Personally I have been looking at www.willows.com
and www.gnustep.org as future development environment
for cross platform compatibility.  Why?  Access to
the source!  Hard to get jerked around if you have the source.)

(The Windows group is here for the marketshare, and the Linux group for
the willows/gnustep)

2. Which /dev Device Is The ide-tape Kernel Module Associated With?

3. SITEWATCH: Perl-mongers ... from South Africa

4. Boot disk to resolve raid problem ?

5. Simon Cooke: Diary of A Crank, FUD monger

6. tarring absolute paths for relative untar

7. problem getting OSS compatability to work with ALSA: aplay works; /dev/dsp gives noise.

8. imagemap problems

9. cygwin noise - I hate it

10. Looking to pay Unix programmer for some work

11. Modem Line Noise