A Late Summer Daydream: Linux saves Apple!

A Late Summer Daydream: Linux saves Apple!

Post by Shelton Garn » Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:00:00



On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:34:14 -0400, "Jon G. Temple"


>This just in from Macintouch:

>The new PowerPC Linux Release 4 (http://www.linuxppc.org/) is said to be
>faster and more stable than the previous release, booting into a graphic
>desktop environment. The software bundle includes Netscape Communicator
>4.0.5 and GIMP 1.0, a "professional-grade graphics editor."

>                             "PowerPC Linux runs on virtually every
>PowerPC produced, including the Power Macintosh, Macintosh clones, and
>the
>                             PowerBook 3400 and G3 series. It also runs
>on the Apple Network Server, BeBox, IBM ThinkPad 850, Motorola
>                             PowerSTACK, and several RS/6000 models."

>Obviously, the part-time unpaid engineers on the LinuxPPC and MkLinux
>projects must be quite a bit smarter than Apple's full time engineers,
>since they have managed to provide UNIX support for all PPC Macs ---
>even pre-G3s!  (NuBus included). Moreover, the MkLinux project has done
>so with the same Mach 3.0 microkernel that Apple will use with Mac OS X.

>Apple should fire everyone of their full time engineers and hire these
>much smarter folks, as they can create a fast rocksolid OS with greater
>model support and without ANY Apple documentation about Apple hardware
>than can Apple's engineers, with a multi-million dollar budget, and
>complete hardware specs.

I had a daydream today about how Linux could save Apple's butt. It
goes something like this:

One day, in the near future, Caldera, the maker of one of the popular
Linux distributions, buys/(murges with) Netscape. Later, their
combined stock starts to pickup steam...it gets high enough that they
can use it to buy Apple.

Then the fun starts. Board Chairman Noordia (sp?) and Pres/CEO
Barksdale turn Apple into a Linux company. They port ALL Mac software
to Linux, all the while working to make Linux as easy to use as a Mac.

They cut hardware prices and put Linux on all their hardware from
servers to Newtons. After a painful restructuring, Apple makes a real
comeback and is one of the biggest and most profitable Linux
distributors.

Like I said, this is just a daydream.

lee

L. Shelton Bumgarner -- Keeper of the Great Renaming FAQ
Nattering Nabob of Narcissism * http://www.nottowayez.net/~leebum/
ICQ#: 9393354 * "Given two unrelated technical terms, an Internet
search engine will retrieve only resumes." -- Schachter's Hypothesis  

 
 
 

A Late Summer Daydream: Linux saves Apple!

Post by Gib Bogl » Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:00:00


What a nice dream!


> On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:34:14 -0400, "Jon G. Temple"

> I had a daydream today about how Linux could save Apple's butt. It
> goes something like this:

> One day, in the near future, Caldera, the maker of one of the popular
> Linux distributions, buys/(murges with) Netscape. Later, their
> combined stock starts to pickup steam...it gets high enough that they
> can use it to buy Apple.

> Then the fun starts. Board Chairman Noordia (sp?) and Pres/CEO
> Barksdale turn Apple into a Linux company. They port ALL Mac software
> to Linux, all the while working to make Linux as easy to use as a Mac.

> They cut hardware prices and put Linux on all their hardware from
> servers to Newtons. After a painful restructuring, Apple makes a real
> comeback and is one of the biggest and most profitable Linux
> distributors.

> Like I said, this is just a daydream.

> lee

> L. Shelton Bumgarner -- Keeper of the Great Renaming FAQ
> Nattering Nabob of Narcissism * http://www.nottowayez.net/~leebum/
> ICQ#: 9393354 * "Given two unrelated technical terms, an Internet
> search engine will retrieve only resumes." -- Schachter's Hypothesis

--
--------------------------------------------------

Bogle Enterprises             Tel: (64-9) 525-6878
1/44 Arthur St                Fax: (64-9) 525-6878
Ellerslie, N.Z.
--------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

A Late Summer Daydream: Linux saves Apple!

Post by J Perry Fecte » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00


linux does have a powerpc version, you know.


>What a nice dream!


>> On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:34:14 -0400, "Jon G. Temple"

>> I had a daydream today about how Linux could save Apple's butt. It
>> goes something like this:

>> One day, in the near future, Caldera, the maker of one of the popular
>> Linux distributions, buys/(murges with) Netscape. Later, their
>> combined stock starts to pickup steam...it gets high enough that they
>> can use it to buy Apple.

>> Then the fun starts. Board Chairman Noordia (sp?) and Pres/CEO
>> Barksdale turn Apple into a Linux company. They port ALL Mac software
>> to Linux, all the while working to make Linux as easy to use as a Mac.

>> They cut hardware prices and put Linux on all their hardware from
>> servers to Newtons. After a painful restructuring, Apple makes a real
>> comeback and is one of the biggest and most profitable Linux
>> distributors.

>> Like I said, this is just a daydream.

>> lee

>> L. Shelton Bumgarner -- Keeper of the Great Renaming FAQ
>> Nattering Nabob of Narcissism * http://www.nottowayez.net/~leebum/
>> ICQ#: 9393354 * "Given two unrelated technical terms, an Internet
>> search engine will retrieve only resumes." -- Schachter's Hypothesis

-------------------- http://w3.nai.net/~perfecto -------------------------
                   The Internet Portal to Success.
-------------------- http://w3.nai.net/~perfecto -------------------------
 
 
 

A Late Summer Daydream: Linux saves Apple!

Post by Shelton Garn » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00




>linux does have a powerpc version, you know.

I know that...that's what makes it the potental savior of Apple.
Imagine Apple levering it's hardware to make it THE Linux hardware of
record.

Or something like that.

lee

L. Shelton Bumgarner -- Keeper of the Great Renaming FAQ
Nattering Nabob of Narcissism * http://www.nottowayez.net/~leebum/
ICQ#: 9393354 * "Given two unrelated technical terms, an Internet
search engine will retrieve only resumes." -- Schachter's Hypothesis  

 
 
 

A Late Summer Daydream: Linux saves Apple!

Post by Valdr » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00


Quote:>Then the fun starts. Board Chairman Noordia (sp?) and Pres/CEO
>Barksdale turn Apple into a Linux company. They port ALL Mac software
>to Linux, all the while working to make Linux as easy to use as a Mac.

Why bother?  They're already doing it to BSD 4.4.  :)

Cheers,

--
Jeffrey Crider
Change "nospam" to "gatech" to reply via e-mail.
--"Mind if I drive?"
--"Not if you don't mind me clawing at the dashboard and shrieking
   like a cheerleader."
--Sam & Max

 
 
 

1. A Late Summer Daydream: Linux saves Apple!

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:34:14 -0400, "Jon G. Temple"

Please, give Apple a break now wont you?  Your post is so off.   And to
add content I will tell you why its off instead of just insulting you, as
some apple fanatics do (you trolls know who you are).

Apple would have no problem getting rhapsody to run on all powermacs, even
nubus.  Heck, they could even rhapsody for 030 and 040 machines!
What you either fail to comprehend or ignore, is that apple has in the
recent past done HORRIBLY financial wise.  This cause horrible mind share,
as well as making them lose marketshare and even be on the path to
bankruptcy.  NOW, the actually have DECENT mindshare as opposed to
continuously declining mindshare, their marketshare has stopped declining
and looks like it might start increasing, and they not only have got off
the path to bankruptcy, but they have had 3 straight profitable quarters.

Apple COULD get macos x server / macos x out for all powermacs and 040
machines, but it is very unlikely that they could spend all the resources
to do this AND keep up good minshare, good profits, and good marketshare

Moreover, the MkLinux project has done

2. Why is my NFS so slow.

3. Late Late season -- where?

4. Air Filters: making your own...

5. [Q}: Linux and Apple-Talk/Apple-Share

6. Joe uploaded to sunsite

7. How Apple Can Sell Me A Mac (was Re: Apple-M$: Linux Nightmare?)

8. Partition Woes - FAT32?

9. daydream bbs

10. MAILING-LIST: DayDream - BBS program with Fidonoet capabilities and more

11. Apples and Oranges (Re: Apple has lost momentum, Wintel's march

12. Would an Apple be an apple if it ran NT?

13. Why Windows 95 doesn't suck, but Apple duzz : APPLE: pet peeve of idiots