ms years behind in db on the client

Post by alt » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 21:10:49

On June 14, 2003 11:38 am, a man called bailo had a brain fart:

Quote:

> p2p subverts the idea of a centralized server.

> by making us both client and server in a small p2p application.

> is the next step the p2p-ization of the database?

> eliminating the big servers, in favor of small personal data that
> can be web-bed together?

> limewire has some ideas on that.   there are others.

> linux, with its free dbms built in, is prime for us to have our own,
> personal dbms, webbed together in a network.   effectively longhorn
> and palladium have been aced.

It depends on the application as to whether you want centralized file
sharing or not.

In a business setting, centralizing the file servers is good because
it simplifies backup and control.

In a consumer setting, it's not so good as noone really wants to put
their data on a remote server that they may not always be able to get
to.

Just a couple of examples.

--
Donovan Hill
spamtrap is actually a real address... just to see if anyone will use

1. Using MS VPN Clients Behind IP Masquerade

I have a Linux box dialed in to the Interent, running IP Masquerade which I
use to allow multiple MS (98/NT) boxes to be on the Internet at once.

I want to use the MS boxes with the MS PTPTP to connec tto a VPN over the
Net.

Can anybody tell me how to do this?

email response is appreciated

2. linux ft

3. FTP server behind on firewall FTP client behind another

4. $99.00 GIFT

5. Gates says penalties will make us fall behind 10 years!

6. set hard limit for memory usage

7. grub problem with RedHat 7.2

8. 10 years before MS code is secure

9. GNU vs MS (was: Re: Bad year for FSF)

10. Read an MS Access db on Unix?

11. reading an MS-Access DB under Sun-OS

12. sendmail behind ms proxy server