REDWORM will strike tommorw!!

Post by Doug. » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 05:09:38

"The rogue application takes advantage of a defect in Microsoft's Internet
Information Services software. It affects only computers with the IIS Web
server software and Window's NT or 2000 operating systems. Windows 95,
Windows 98 and Windows Me are immune."

http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/internet/07/30/code.red/index.html

Post by Chris Coo » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 11:00:22

> "The rogue application takes advantage of a defect in Microsoft's Internet
> Information Services software. It affects only computers with the IIS Web
> server software and Window's NT or 2000 operating systems. Windows 95,
> Windows 98 and Windows Me are immune."

> http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/internet/07/30/code.red/index.html

Not had any evidence yet (none of the interesting hits I got on apache last
time), at 3 o'clock GMT AM. Maybe things will change, or maybe it wont
happen, we'll see.

Chris.

1. Redworm & My ISP

I am seeking suggestions on what I can do to resolve redworm activity
hitting my hosts.

The Story:

my cable modem.  I called them half dozen times over a thirty day period to
inquire why and to try to take some action to resolve the issue.  The end
result of those calls was to be asked were my service working, yes, then no

After a month of this I again insisted on speaking to a manager, and was
transferred to the abuse department. I sent them my tcpdump logs and it was

they had yet to take any proactive action to deal with the nuisance, but
assured me they would be scanning their network and contacting members
infected with the virus.

Another month has passed, the problem is still unresolved.  My tcpdump log
is 45 to 50 mb in size after a 24 hour period and at least one poster here
is unable to even reach my Linux Apache server.

What can I do?
--
Richard Harmonson
Red Hat Certified Engineer

2. How can I become a system administrator?

3. Microsoft hubris strikes again

4. libraries

5. The other Stupid Newbie Strikes...

6. SIGBUS on i386 arch

7. Pedantry strikes again, loose -> lose where appropriate.

8. Slow load times

9. SCO unix "version" 4.2 (was: Re: SCO marketroids strike again!)

10. The Stupid Newbie Strikes Again (Or: It works, but it doesn't...)

11. Linux Strikes Again!

12. Linux strikes again

13. playing counter-strike and linux 2.2 routing