JDK1.2.2 performance, Linux -vs- NT

Post by John Harlo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm using the Sun JDK (1.2.2) in two environments. Both environments
run at the same time, on the same system (Dell Latitude, p3-450, 512
mRam.)

The primary environment is RH 6.1 (2.2.14) kernel with XIG commercial X
drivers.  The second is NT4SP5 running in a virtual machine (VMWARE 2)
under linux. So it is sharing the memory, processor, X drivers, etc..
as a task under linux.

The curious thing is that the performance of java (running apps) is
significantly better in the Virtual NT session, than it is native to
linux. The obvious conclusion here is that the JDK for NT is more
efficient than the linux release.

My question is whether or not the difference is HotSpot? Does the
latest NT release have it. I know that the linux release does not.

Thanks
John

--
John R. Harlow
United Systems Inc.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Mark Hamstr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I'm using the Sun JDK (1.2.2) in two environments. Both environments
> run at the same time, on the same system (Dell Latitude, p3-450, 512
> mRam.)

> The primary environment is RH 6.1 (2.2.14) kernel with XIG commercial X
> drivers.  The second is NT4SP5 running in a virtual machine (VMWARE 2)
> under linux. So it is sharing the memory, processor, X drivers, etc..
> as a task under linux.

> The curious thing is that the performance of java (running apps) is
> significantly better in the Virtual NT session, than it is native to
> linux. The obvious conclusion here is that the JDK for NT is more
> efficient than the linux release.

> My question is whether or not the difference is HotSpot? Does the
> latest NT release have it. I know that the linux release does not.

The Sun JDK for Linux doesn't use native threads or JIT.  Get the
latest Blackdown release and the Borland/Inprise JIT for much
better performance.

--
Mark Hamstra
Bentley Systems, Inc.

JDK1.2.2 performance, Linux -vs- NT

Post by Terry Sik » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I'm using the Sun JDK (1.2.2) in two environments. Both environments
>run at the same time, on the same system (Dell Latitude, p3-450, 512
>mRam.)

>The primary environment is RH 6.1 (2.2.14) kernel with XIG commercial X
>drivers.  The second is NT4SP5 running in a virtual machine (VMWARE 2)
>under linux. So it is sharing the memory, processor, X drivers, etc..
>as a task under linux.

>The curious thing is that the performance of java (running apps) is
>significantly better in the Virtual NT session, than it is native to
>linux. The obvious conclusion here is that the JDK for NT is more
>efficient than the linux release.

>My question is whether or not the difference is HotSpot? Does the
>latest NT release have it. I know that the linux release does not.

I believe the NT VM has HotSpot, but a more important point is that
the current Linux JDK doesn't even ship with a JIT.  You can get one
from www.inprise.com.

HotSpot is coming in the Linux 1.3 release (due pretty soon I think),
and IBM is supposed to ship a 1.3 VM by 2Q.

HTH,

Terry
--

JDK1.2.2 performance, Linux -vs- NT

Post by John Harlo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks for the advice. Based on this response (and another pointing out
the green-threads issue in Sun JDK vs Blackdown) I was able to
significantly improve performance. I haven't benchmarked it yet, but
it 'feels' almost as fast as the HotSpot version running in VMware NT
session.

Once Linux gets HotSpot, it should really cook.

John

--
John R. Harlow
United Systems Inc.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

JDK1.2.2 performance, Linux -vs- NT

Post by Jerry McBri » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

-- snip --

Quote:>HotSpot is coming in the Linux 1.3 release (due pretty soon I think),
>and IBM is supposed to ship a 1.3 VM by 2Q.

Any word on whether this will be a free offering or will it be placed on
Software Choice as a commercial product?

Finance majors do it with interest.

* NetRexx - The onramp to the Internet - http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/netrexx  *

JDK1.2.2 performance, Linux -vs- NT

Post by Terry Sik » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>-- snip --

>>HotSpot is coming in the Linux 1.3 release (due pretty soon I think),
>>and IBM is supposed to ship a 1.3 VM by 2Q.

>Any word on whether this will be a free offering or will it be placed on
>Software Choice as a commercial product?

As I understand it, both will be zero cost.

Terry
--

1. JDK1.2.2 vs JDK1.1.7 on COL 2.3 -- some comments

I'm running a Toshiba Satellite 2595CDS -400Mhz 64Mbyte,4 gig with Windows
98/Caldera Systems 2.3 and a 2.2.12 kernel. Installed on this I have "Sun's"
JDK1.2.2 port and Blackdown's JDK1.1.7 port. On the Windows side I also have
JDK 1.2.2 and the Beta JDK 1.3

I just upgraded from Caldera Systems 1.3 and a 2.0.35 kernel. On this I had
Blackdown's JDK1.1.7 port

I recently had a Samsun laptop 75Mhz ,24Mbte, 500Mbyte that had Windows 95 /
Caldera Systems 1.3

Upstairs I'm running an ACER 125Mhz, 16Mbyte that has Windows 95/Caldera
Systems 1.3 with the JDK1.1.7 port.

On each machine I have the same Java app that I developed starting with the
first Java release and upgraded it through subsequent releases until now
it's totally Swing.  On my Toshiba I can run the app with JDK1.17 and
JDK1.2.2 side by side.  On the Linux side the JDK1.2.2 takes 3 seconds to
draw a graph whereas JDK1.1.7 draws it in a flash.

Is there anyone else out there that is seeing this?
It's not Linux. It's not KDE.  It's Suns JDK1.2.2.  The question is why.  I
haven't touched it. It's configured as it was downloaded. The JDK1.2.2 on
the Windows side does just fine.  No it's not the 1.3 swap problem that's
been fixed.
The only abnormal thing about the execution is the system's inability to
resolve a lot of fonts when the app comes up, but I don't see how that would
cause the slowness in the graphing.
Going into Graphics2D doesn't help. I took it out to see if it sped up.
Any suggestions out there.  How about the font thing.  How do I resolve
that.

Thanks,

Jim

2. Port Problem

3. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

4. Help with X on Dell Inspiron 5000

5. performance: linux/samba vs nt vs novell

6. Compaq Deskpro's with an Adaptec 2940U2W Controller fail

7. Large file support (>2GB) on 2.2.x kernels (NT vs. Linux FTP)

8. web caching and "Web Cache"

9. Linux Kernel 2.2.16 breaks JDK1.2.2!

10. performance of sol 2.2 vs 2.1 (on a classic/24M RAM)???

11. 2.4 vs 2.2 performance under load comparison

12. high load performance of 2.2 vs 4.1.3 on SS 10/41

13. jdk1.2.2 under linux