Linux plus new eMachine 266= Pentium2 Win nt workstation?

Linux plus new eMachine 266= Pentium2 Win nt workstation?

Post by Bill Mcdona » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Am I dreaming or is this possible? I keep seeing articles everywhere
saying that Linux makes older hardware almost the equivalent of a
full-blown wintel type system, at least at doing server type work.
What about just for web browsing and maybe doing photo imaging
with the Gimp, as well as some video conferencing?

I have Redhat 5 but never installed it when I read that Linux
overwrites the master boot record. I currently run win98 on my
old Gateway tower and a CTX laptop(which is also running
BEOS R4 on a dual boot). Also when I bought RH5, there was
no Neomagic video support in Linux supposedly, but I see from
Neomagic's website, there is support now.Hmmm... let's see, I'm
running Beos with no power mgt,video,sound, or pc card support on the
laptop but would have all that if I just put in the RH cd and try
it.Sounds like a no brainer.

I am planning on buying one of the eMachine units soon, so will
install Linux on that, just can't chance it on the tower I have.

Thanks for any ideas!

Bill Mcdonald

p.s. any Linux groups in the Anaheim, Ca area?

Linux plus new eMachine 266= Pentium2 Win nt workstation?

Post by Alfthema » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Apologies for the late post, I just saw your article.

Linux *runs* fine on an e-machine.  It just won't *install* with the
included 24x CD-ROM.  The 2.0.x kernels have problems with that
particular Samsung drive.

Therefore, you can either replace the CDROM or install from the hard
drive.  (FTP and network installs work, too.)  You'll also need a
newer version of Xfree to run with the included Rage IIc-AGP card.

Once installed, it runs Linux fine.  It runs NT 5.0beta2 fine, too.
(Okay, I cheated and put an extra 128M of RAM in it bringing the total
to 160M.  But, it did work.)

Finally, you'll have the dump the included Winmodem (big whoop!).
Since you live in California, you should be thinking ADSL, not 56k
winmodem dial-up anyway.

BTW, Linux, lilo, and FIPS work fine with Win98!

--Justin

Quote:>Am I dreaming or is this possible? I keep seeing articles everywhere