Cable Modems have been cracked!

Post by Charlie Eber » Sat, 11 May 2002 17:25:08

http://slashdot.org/articles/02/05/09/2355251.shtml?tid=99

Cable Modems have been cracked!

Post by Chronos Tachyo » Sun, 12 May 2002 03:28:12

Quote:

> http://slashdot.org/articles/02/05/09/2355251.shtml?tid=99

Old news, so old in fact that most vulnerable ISPs (not all that use a
SURFboard are vulnerable) are actively scanning for cable modems with
tweaked settings using SNMP.

--
Chronos Tachyon
http://chronos.dyndns.org/ -- WWED?

1. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

I have 2 network cards and 1 modem in a Linux Box with RH6.
My cable modem uses the modem to start a PPP session, and the network card
is then hooked up to the VPN of the ISP.

I would like to setup a IP Masquraded Firewall to hook some of my other
boxes
behind the firewall.

I  cannot find a HOW-TO to setup the Linux box using this type of Cable
Modem.  I
have only found 2 way cable modems.  Can someone point me it the right
direction.

My problem is that I don't know how to get Linux connected, then also, how
do I configure
ipchains or ipfwadm to use the correct rule set.  Do I do the modem or the
network card.  The
network card has a static IP of 10.0.0.1 which is usally used for VPNs.  My
cable company
is of corse not supporting Linux, so I have to do it myself.  The PPP dialup
uses DHCP to
assign my address so I have dhcp setup.

Thanks in advance..

Aaron

2. Help the newbie w/Slackware's ZipSlack

3. Cable modem crack-down

4. (no subject)

5. Cable Modem (COX @HOME), I NEED HELP SETTING UP MY CABLE MODEM WITH RH 5.1

6. help

7. @Home Cable Modem and RedHat 6.0 -- no packets get past the cable modem at all!

8. RedHat 4.0 NIS/NYS login problem

9. Have I been cracked or am I just clueless?

10. I was cracked, and am somewhat confused...

11. I am seeking documeted proof of ircii dcc chat cracks

12. Am I cracking by someone?

13. Cox Cable installing a cable modem