SuSe download

Post by francesc » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 20:07:38

I've finally installed SuSE and it is pretty good!

I was initially resistant to it because it seemed as though SuSE were
doing things just to make it easier to just buy their product then
download by not offering an iso for download.

That was several weeks ago when I was determine to try most of the
"easier" desktop distros.  Because SuSE was available for d/l FTP only,
I opted not to do it.  I pictured myself d/l and copying incorrectly
causing the whole install to frustrating.  Not to mention, I for some
bizarre reason thought that it was requiring a floppy install and I had
no desire to deal with dozens of floppies.   I guess I just saw the
letters FTP and freaked.

Since then I tried to install Gentoo.  It sounded interesting and came
with step by step instructions.   I know, it doesn't make to sense to
most people, to want an easy to use distro and also want to play with
Gentoo.  But I want both extremes.  It went fine until the last page of
instruction, that seem to be out of order.  At this point I decided to
back up and learn some linux commands so I would have some perspective
when looking at instructions that didn't match what's on the screen.

Anyhow, I put off Debian for last.  For some reason, finding the woody
version on an iso has proven difficult.   While looking around to for
info about versions and where to find them, I stumbled across a page
that pushed for doing an ftp install, where you download a small iso
with the basic install files and immediate setup of internet connection.

It must be the way they worded it, because it didn't sound newly as bad
my imagination had SuSE being, so I opted for it.  The install really
didn't go well.  I got the files downloaded, but I got too many error
messages for that told to edit after the install for my comfort.

At this point I was looking at Lycoris as my easy distro.  I like
Mandrake, but it doesn't like the video card I wanted to use.  It liked
the video on the motherboard, but FreeBSD wont configure with that card.
   And I think my old card is superior to the video on board.  Red Hat
seemed slow on my machine, and I don't want to have to tweak my easy
distro.  Gentoo, sure, FreeBSD, fine, but my easy Linux distro needs to
work right out of the box.

I can't say why I have reservations about Lycoris.  Maybe it looks too
much like Windows at the start, maybe because it's previously known as
Redmond, I don't' know.  I don't know, I just feel like such a wimp
using it.

So when I found myself at Bestbuy the other day, I stopped by the OS
aisle just to what they've got on the shelf.  As expected, only Mandrake
and SuSE.   I'm not going to pay $40 for a free OS and a book I can't
leaf through first.   That and I've tended to be fickle with my Linux
distros and I don't want to end up pay for something I may not
ultimately use.   But while was looking at the SuSE box, I decided that
it wouldn't hurt to give the FTP thing a try.  After all, I'd done it
with Debian and SuSE is supposed to be easier, in general.  So I decided
to give it a go.

The instruction page extremely minimal did not exactly match what was on
the screen.

Instructions said type "linux install=ftp://ftp_server/directory" at the
boot prompt, only the software loaded a graphical install GUI, but I was
able to apply the important info.

 From there I only encountered two minor probably due to my system setup
problems:  The partition info read my disk space wrong in a two
partitions saying I had something like 250 GB partition when the hard
drive itself is only 20 GB.   And despite going with system
configuration of drive partitions, it tried to install on a small
partition it made force the install to stop due to lack of space.  Both
problems were corrected when I partitioned in "custom (expert)" mode.

 From there it worked very well.  And so far, I'm very impressed with
YaST.

Interestingly, a troll has been continually stating that software
install should involve just few clicks the mouse (a la Windows) and said
that that was why Linux is going nowhere.  Yet, that's exactly what I
did to get Star Office installed in SuSE.

I'm still planning on learning to compile source code, but it's nice to
know that I wont have to do it that way all the time. : )

SuSe download

Post by Eric Yeo » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 13:40:12

MOst of us will just stick to Red Hat for "standards" sake.

But I do agree that SuSE 8.0 is quite cool, it boots up faster on my PC than
RH7.3. And I love the start up screen...really blow RH off the water.

Lycoris....I haven't tried it yet but if it performs up to what it
promises...Windows users will have no problem switching over to Linux.

ERIC

Quote:> I've finally installed SuSE and it is pretty good!

> [...]

> partitions saying I had something like 250 GB partition when the hard
> drive itself is only 20 GB.   And despite going with system
> configuration of drive partitions, it tried to install on a small
> partition it made force the install to stop due to lack of space.  Both
> problems were corrected when I partitioned in "custom (expert)" mode.

>  From there it worked very well.  And so far, I'm very impressed with
> YaST.

> Interestingly, a troll has been continually stating that software
> install should involve just few clicks the mouse (a la Windows) and said
> that that was why Linux is going nowhere.  Yet, that's exactly what I
> did to get Star Office installed in SuSE.

> I'm still planning on learning to compile source code, but it's nice to
> know that I wont have to do it that way all the time. : )

1. SUSE Download Minimum?

I'm about to download SUSE from an FTP server and am wondering which
folders/files I need just to get started. Is there a guide anywhere that
will tell me what the minimum is that would be necessary to get the OS
installed?

--
All replies through Newsgroup please.
    Email will not be answered.

2. Files stored as B-Trees

3. Suse Download Site

4. control terminal under sysv (well, solaris 2.3)

5. SUSE Download Minimum

6. Efficient way to determine avaiable free memory?

7. RPM 4.0 for SUSE ... where to download ?

8. Promise Ultra ATA66 Controller Card and Redhat 6.1

9. help with downloading Suse linux on one computer and transfering it to another via cd

10. Where can I download SuSE 7.0 ???

11. Where can I download KDE-3.0 for SuSE-7.3

12. SUSE 6 install and download

13. Suse 7.3 PPC Download?