Portable storage

Post by Daihar » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 00:58:29

> Even in the days of home PCs with 100GB hard disks and
> gigabytes of RAM, we're still stuck with the 1.44MB floppy
> disk. Surely there should be something better along by now?

> CDs are an option, but the drives are expensive, and not
> found on many computers. For instance, the hundreds of
> computers at my college all have floppy disk drives, but not
> one of them has a CDRW disk. Can you imagine the price of
> upgrading them all? Plus the fact that CDs are extremely
> delicate, and too big to be convenient to carry in your
> pocket. Also, the cases are delicate.

> What we need is something around the size of a floppy disk,
> with drives that cost around 10, which is durable, and
> holds hundreds of megabytes of data.

Ever heard of MO?

Dai

Portable storage

Post by Richard Revi » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 01:14:49

drsquare used a team of monkeys to generate this reply:

Quote:> What we need is something around the size of a floppy disk,
> with drives that cost around 10, which is durable, and
> holds hundreds of megabytes of data.

Like, err, a CD-rom drive? Costs about 20, or 30 for a RW. And that is
retail.

--
People carriers are for the clueless about contraception.
1:14pm  up 3 days,  5:45,  1 user,  load average: 1.67, 1.55, 1.51

Portable storage

Post by paul cook » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 01:20:13

comp.os.linux.advocacy to propose the following:

Quote:> Even in the days of home PCs with 100GB hard disks and
> gigabytes of RAM, we're still stuck with the 1.44MB floppy
> disk. Surely there should be something better along by now?

> CDs are an option, but the drives are expensive, and not
> found on many computers. For instance, the hundreds of
> computers at my college all have floppy disk drives, but not
> one of them has a CDRW disk. Can you imagine the price of
> upgrading them all? Plus the fact that CDs are extremely
> delicate, and too big to be convenient to carry in your
> pocket. Also, the cases are delicate.

> What we need is something around the size of a floppy disk,
> with drives that cost around 10, which is durable, and
> holds hundreds of megabytes of data.

USB ZIP 250...

and the only reason that the drives themselves cost so much still is
because Iomega are the only game in town.

--
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819

Portable storage

Post by r2 » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 01:32:32

Have you investigated a USB Memory Key?  You can get them in various
storage sizes from 8 MB and up.  And they fit in your pocket or around
your neck.

Post by Donn Mille » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 01:37:05

> What we need is something around the size of a floppy disk,
> with drives that cost around 10, which is durable, and
> holds hundreds of megabytes of data.

I think an external USB hard drive would be beneficial.  You can move it
around to different computers (not just PCs, but MACs as well) that have
a USB port.

Portable storage

Post by Daihar » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 01:39:44

> begin  On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 22:58:29 GMT, in
> comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>Ever heard of MO?

> No.

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid5_gci212513,00....

Dai

--
Daigoro F. Toyama
  RLU #281828

Portable storage

Post by cybea » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 01:57:21

> begin  On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 22:58:29 GMT, in
> comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>Ever heard of MO?

> No.

Figures

Portable storage

Post by Richard Revi » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 02:54:37

drsquare used a team of monkeys to generate this reply:

Quote:> Where am I going to be able to use one except in my own
> computer?

They use the mass storage driver, so any Win2k/XP/Mac OSX/Linux box for a
start.

--
People carriers are for the clueless about contraception.
2:54am  up 3 days,  7:25,  1 user,  load average: 2.74, 2.27, 1.84

Post by Paolo Ciambott » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 03:17:17

> CDs are an option, but the drives are expensive, and not
> found on many computers. For instance, the hundreds of
> computers at my college all have floppy disk drives, but not
> one of them has a CDRW disk.

You'd think with all those billions served, MacDonalds University would be
able to buy you a CD-RW.

So, how are you doing on those fries, boy?

Portable storage

Post by Dave Leig » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 05:55:47

drsquare wrote on Friday 13 December 2002 20:36 in message

> begin  On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 18:17:17 -0700, in
> comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>> CDs are an option, but the drives are expensive, and not
>>> found on many computers. For instance, the hundreds of
>>> computers at my college all have floppy disk drives, but not
>>> one of them has a CDRW disk.

>>You'd think with all those billions served, MacDonalds University would be
>>able to buy you a CD-RW.

>>So, how are you doing on those fries, boy?

> Not just me, but every single computer I might use.

Y'know your life would be so much better if you were King of the World.

--
Dave Leigh, Consulting Systems Analyst
Cratchit.org

Portable storage

Post by The Ghost In The Machin » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 07:04:29

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, drsquare

 wrote
on Fri, 13 Dec 2002 20:35:27 +0000

Quote:> Even in the days of home PCs with 100GB hard disks and
> gigabytes of RAM, we're still stuck with the 1.44MB floppy
> disk. Surely there should be something better along by now?

> CDs are an option, but the drives are expensive, and not
> found on many computers. For instance, the hundreds of
> computers at my college all have floppy disk drives, but not
> one of them has a CDRW disk. Can you imagine the price of
> upgrading them all? Plus the fact that CDs are extremely
> delicate, and too big to be convenient to carry in your
> pocket. Also, the cases are delicate.

> What we need is something around the size of a floppy disk,
> with drives that cost around 10, which is durable, and
> holds hundreds of megabytes of data.

Iomega Zip drive.  Drive unit 249 Euro, 750 MB blue disc
cartridges 49 Euro for a 3-pack. (MSRP)  I'll admit I
don't know how many Euros per pound.

http://www.iomega.com/global/europe.html

then click on the language of your choice, then
click on "Iomega announces the new 750 MB drive".

Next question.

--

It's still legal to go .sigless.

Portable storage

Post by Rex Ballar » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 04:51:26

> Even in the days of home PCs with 100GB hard disks and
> gigabytes of RAM, we're still stuck with the 1.44MB floppy
> disk. Surely there should be something better along by now?

Keep in mind that when 1.44 meg floppies first came out, the drives
cost nearly $200 each.  Today's CDROM Burners are going for as
little as $80 each.

Quote:> CDs are an option, but the drives are expensive, and not
> found on many computers. For instance, the hundreds of
> computers at my college all have floppy disk drives, but not
> one of them has a CDRW disk. Can you imagine the price of
> upgrading them all? Plus the fact that CDs are extremely
> delicate, and too big to be convenient to carry in your
> pocket. Also, the cases are delicate.

There are several options.  There are 3.25 inch CDs, normally used
for MP3 archives, but can be very useful for archiving documents
related to a project.

There are some alternatives to full-blown replacement of drives.
You can get cases for CD-RW drives that can be connected to either
a firewire connector or a USB connector.  USB-1b is very slow so
you have to record the CDs at 1x or 2x speeds, but many USB2 drives
and all IEEE-1394 interfaces are really fast.  Slower CD-RW drives
are available for as little as $80 each, fast drives cost about
$120 each.  The cases run between $30 and $80 each.  The Firewire
PCI adapters are about $30, the Laptop PCMCIA/Cardbus adapters run
between $50 and $75 each.  USB2 adapters are slightly more
expensive than the Firewire adapters.

Linux supports both types.  Best to use track-at-a-time mode since
this reduces the chance of "Coasters".  The MiniCDROMs are good for
about 180-250 megabytes.  There are even "credit-card" CD-s that
hold about 150 megabytes.

Quote:> What we need is something around the size of a floppy disk,
> with drives that cost around 10, which is durable, and
> holds hundreds of megabytes of data.

Ten pounds british is about $25 U.S. - CD-RWs are falling in price,
but it's the classic problem of speed vs cost.  You could probably
get surplus 4x2x8 drives for about that price, but with 48x32x48
drives available brand-new for $50 more, it's hard to say no.

Ironically, just as CD-RWs are getting cheap enough to use as a
backup medium, the hard drives are so big that they can't be backed
up effectively.  A 100 gig hard drive would require over 150 CDROMs
to back-up.  Even DVD-RWs only hold 4 gigs each.

The simplest quick-backup which is also very cost-effective, is to
stick a 3-1/2 inch IDE hard drive into a firewire or USB case and
back-up directly to the hard drive.  The cost is reasonable, about
$1/gigabyte. Tape drives take much longer to back-up.  The other
advantage is that you can back-up to the fire-wire drive then move
it to a network which has back-up tape storage available.

--
Rex Ballard
Enterprise/B2B IT Architect

Portable storage

Post by paul cook » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 10:39:43

comp.os.linux.advocacy to propose the following:

> begin  On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 23:20:13 +0000, in
> comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>comp.os.linux.advocacy to propose the following:

>>> What we need is something around the size of a floppy disk,
>>> with drives that cost around 10, which is durable, and
>>> holds hundreds of megabytes of data.

>>USB ZIP 250...

>>and the only reason that the drives themselves cost so much still is
>>because Iomega are the only game in town.

> Well, that takes it out of the equation. How big are the
> drives? Can they fit in a 3.5" or a 5.25" drive?

they're USB... you can hang them off a USB port. Awfully convenient when
you've got a laptop... and they're about the same size as a 3.5" disk
but thicker...

--

Post by paul cook » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 11:00:54

comp.os.linux.advocacy to propose the following:

<SNIP>

>> What we need is something around the size of a floppy disk,
>> with drives that cost around 10, which is durable, and
>> holds hundreds of megabytes of data.

> Ten pounds british is about $25 U.S.

where the heck are you buying your dollars??? You're out by about $10
there... 10 is approx equal to $15

<SNIP>

--

Post by paul cook » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 11:04:43

comp.os.linux.advocacy to propose the following:

> begin  On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 18:37:05 -0500, in
> comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>> What we need is something around the size of a floppy disk,
>>> with drives that cost around 10, which is durable, and
>>> holds hundreds of megabytes of data.

>>I think an external USB hard drive would be beneficial.  You can move
>>it around to different computers (not just PCs, but MACs as well) that
>>have a USB port.

> Except hard drives are delicate, and not many computers have
> USB.

every computer PC and Mac made in the last few years has come with USB as
standard... heck, my old Hewlett Packard P155 had two usb ports and that
came with Win95a OEM on it.

Quote:> Plus, they are large and expensive. I'm looking for
> something as convenient as a floppy.

USB ZIP 250 or if you're cheap, the USB ZIP 100... have a look in Dixons
and Currys and PCWorld this weekend...  I think they might be on special
offer.