I'd rather switch than fight.

Post by Jim Broughto » Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:52:22

 I finally could not put up with the quagmire that is
Redhat linux. After running it for a year it finnaly
pissed me off with its rewritten init files and scripts
that led me all over the system trying to get things to
work the way they should work. So now I am running
Slackware 7.1. after some initial issues with the
install program not wanting to install lilo correctly
the system is up and running rock solid.
 The real killer is now that I am running slackware
the sound for KDE now works. Under Redhat it resisted
all attempts. Sound for Gnome works too.
  Another thing I do not miss is RPM. Slackware has a
very good package managment system as well based on
the .tgz (tar gziped file packages) that is every bit
as effective as RPM. (slack still has it I just don't
use it.)
 The only problem I have with Slackware is its use of
the BSD style system init. Although It can if need be
use the SysVinit scripts it is a kludged in operation
at best.
 One of the weird things I find is the lack of people
desperatly seeking help in the NG's (well a little on
slackwares own ng) like comp.os.linux or alt.os.linux.

oh yes and q3 and UT both run great.

--
Jim Broughton
Using Slackware Linux v7.1

I'd rather switch than fight.

Post by Aaron R. Kulki » Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:32:49

>  I finally could not put up with the quagmire that is
> Redhat linux. After running it for a year it finnaly
> pissed me off with its rewritten init files and scripts
> that led me all over the system trying to get things to
> work the way they should work. So now I am running
> Slackware 7.1. after some initial issues with the
> install program not wanting to install lilo correctly
> the system is up and running rock solid.
>  The real killer is now that I am running slackware
> the sound for KDE now works. Under Redhat it resisted
> all attempts. Sound for Gnome works too.
>   Another thing I do not miss is RPM. Slackware has a
> very good package managment system as well based on
> the .tgz (tar gziped file packages) that is every bit
> as effective as RPM. (slack still has it I just don't
> use it.)
>  The only problem I have with Slackware is its use of
> the BSD style system init. Although It can if need be
> use the SysVinit scripts it is a kludged in operation
> at best.
>  One of the weird things I find is the lack of people
> desperatly seeking help in the NG's (well a little on
> slackwares own ng) like comp.os.linux or alt.os.linux.

Because there is a lack of people desperately seeking help in the NG's.

Quote:

> oh yes and q3 and UT both run great.

> --
> Jim Broughton
> Using Slackware Linux v7.1
> (The Amiga OS! Now there was an OS)
> If Sense were common everyone would have it!
> Following Air and Water the third most abundant
> thing on the planet is Human Stupidity.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

http://www.veryComputer.com/

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   direction that she doesn't like.

   ...despite (D) above.

   her behavior improves.

   *ery while concurrently committing *ery with Tammy Hahn.

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

I'd rather switch than fight.

Post by 2:1 » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>  I finally could not put up with the quagmire that is
> Redhat linux. After running it for a year it finnaly
> pissed me off with its rewritten init files and scripts
> that led me all over the system trying to get things to
> work the way they should work. So now I am running
> Slackware 7.1. after some initial issues with the
> install program not wanting to install lilo correctly
> the system is up and running rock solid.

Really?
After a bit of playing around in RH, I have the init scripts pretty much
figured out.

Static scripts reside in /etc/rc.d/init.d
If they have the lines:

# chkconfig: 2345 85 15

They can be managed by tools like chkconfig and ntsysv.

If these scripts need configuration information, the configuration
information lies in a file in /etc/sysconfig. This is usually a file
which is sourced, to set some shell variables.

In general, the scripts must be able to take the arguments start, stop,
reset without complaining.

The script /etc/rc.d/rc is used when switching runlevels. It searches
through the directory rc?.d, where ? is the runlevel. In those
directories, there are filenames of the form (as a regex)
[KS][0-9][0-9]\(.*\)
These are symlinks to scripts in init.d
The K scripts are run first and run with the argument stop.

The S scripts are then run. If the file \1 (from the regex) exists in
/var/lock/subsys/ then the script will not be run, otherwise it will,
with the argument start.
The scripts are run in the order determined by the number in them.

Fortunately, ntsysv and chkconfig will create/remove the symlinks
automatically.

RedHat only overwrites scripts or init files when a control panel or
setup tool is run.

Those are the init scripts used to change runlevel.
There is also /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit which is run once on bootup
There is also /etc/rc.d/rc.local which is run after the other init
scripts, if you don't want the hassle of all the sysv init, then that is
the one to use.

They are the main ones.

HTH

-Ed

--
Konrad Zuse should  recognised. He built the first      | Edward Rosten
binary digital computer (Z1, with floating point) the   | Engineer

commercial one (Z4).                                    | eng.ox.ac.uk

I'd rather switch than fight.

Post by Jim Broughto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >  I finally could not put up with the quagmire that is
> > Redhat linux. After running it for a year it finnaly
> > pissed me off with its rewritten init files and scripts
> > that led me all over the system trying to get things to
> > work the way they should work. So now I am running
> > Slackware 7.1. after some initial issues with the
> > install program not wanting to install lilo correctly
> > the system is up and running rock solid.

> Really?
> After a bit of playing around in RH, I have the init scripts pretty much
> figured out.

> Static scripts reside in /etc/rc.d/init.d
> If they have the lines:

> # chkconfig: 2345 85 15

> They can be managed by tools like chkconfig and ntsysv.

> If these scripts need configuration information, the configuration
> information lies in a file in /etc/sysconfig. This is usually a file
> which is sourced, to set some shell variables.

> In general, the scripts must be able to take the arguments start, stop,
> reset without complaining.

> The script /etc/rc.d/rc is used when switching runlevels. It searches
> through the directory rc?.d, where ? is the runlevel. In those
> directories, there are filenames of the form (as a regex)
> [KS][0-9][0-9]\(.*\)
> These are symlinks to scripts in init.d
> The K scripts are run first and run with the argument stop.

> The S scripts are then run. If the file \1 (from the regex) exists in
> /var/lock/subsys/ then the script will not be run, otherwise it will,
> with the argument start.
> The scripts are run in the order determined by the number in them.

> Fortunately, ntsysv and chkconfig will create/remove the symlinks
> automatically.

> RedHat only overwrites scripts or init files when a control panel or
> setup tool is run.

> Those are the init scripts used to change runlevel.
> There is also /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit which is run once on bootup
> There is also /etc/rc.d/rc.local which is run after the other init
> scripts, if you don't want the hassle of all the sysv init, then that is
> the one to use.

> They are the main ones.

> HTH

> -Ed

> --
> Konrad Zuse should  recognised. He built the first      | Edward Rosten
> binary digital computer (Z1, with floating point) the   | Engineer

> commercial one (Z4).                                    | eng.ox.ac.uk

 If you were to see the simplicity that it used in slackware you
would probably NEVER go back to RH. I admit I like sysV but I
don't like the way readhat uses it.
 BTW I didn't ask for a tutorial I KNOW how it works. Sorry you spent
so much time on it. Save it though it might come in handy some day.
--
Jim Broughton
(The Amiga OS! Now there was an OS)
If Sense were common everyone would have it!
Following Air and Water the third most abundant
thing on the planet is Human Stupidity.

I'd rather switch than fight.

Post by 2:1 » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>  If you were to see the simplicity that it used in slackware you
> would probably NEVER go back to RH. I admit I like sysV but I
> don't like the way readhat uses it.

Could you give me a link to some description of the system used in
Slackware: I'm interested. I might convert my linux system to that (my
system is gatting less like the default RH system as the days go by...)

Quote:>  BTW I didn't ask for a tutorial I KNOW how it works. Sorry you spent
> so much time on it. Save it though it might come in handy some day.

Oh, sorry.

-Ed

--
Konrad Zuse should  recognised. He built the first      | Edward Rosten
binary digital computer (Z1, with floating point) the   | Engineer

commercial one (Z4).                                    | eng.ox.ac.uk

I'd rather switch than fight.

Post by Roberto Alsin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

El jue, 12 oct 2000, 2:1 escribi:

Quote:>>  If you were to see the simplicity that it used in slackware you
>> would probably NEVER go back to RH. I admit I like sysV but I
>> don't like the way readhat uses it.

>Could you give me a link to some description of the system used in
>Slackware: I'm interested. I might convert my linux system to that (my
>system is gatting less like the default RH system as the days go by...)

It was the classic (more or less) BSD init, last time I checked.
One monster script and some smaller ones for specific purposes, followed by a
rc.local.

--
Roberto Alsina

I'd rather switch than fight.

Post by j.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>>  If you were to see the simplicity that it used in slackware you
>> would probably NEVER go back to RH. I admit I like sysV but I
>> don't like the way readhat uses it.

        You know, there are actually some of us that have defected
        AWAY from Slackware (to RH even)...

Quote:

>Could you give me a link to some description of the system used in
>Slackware: I'm interested. I might convert my linux system to that (my
>system is gatting less like the default RH system as the days go by...)

[deletia]

I'd rather switch than fight.

Post by Jim Broughto » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 10:53:22

> El jue, 12 oct 2000, 2:1 escribi:
> >>  If you were to see the simplicity that it used in slackware you
> >> would probably NEVER go back to RH. I admit I like sysV but I
> >> don't like the way readhat uses it.

> >Could you give me a link to some description of the system used in
> >Slackware: I'm interested. I might convert my linux system to that (my
> >system is gatting less like the default RH system as the days go by...)

> It was the classic (more or less) BSD init, last time I checked.
> One monster script and some smaller ones for specific purposes, followed by a
> rc.local.

> --
> Roberto Alsina

 Yes it is the BSD style init system but it uses a few scripts
one system init script and one script for for each USED run level.
They are really well commented too. (makes em bigger but
definatly easier to understand) The run level scripts can and do
run other scripts for special services. SysV is supported but I have
been unable to make the scripts I ripped from my server box function
correctly. Possibly more RH *in them I have yet to notice.
 One of my other complaints on RH was linuxconf. I was NEVER able to
pry that sucker out of the system. So Slackware.

--
Jim Broughton

Post by ric » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>>  BTW I didn't ask for a tutorial I KNOW how it works. Sorry you spent
>> so much time on it. Save it though it might come in handy some day.
>Oh, sorry.

Don't fret, I found it helpful.

--
Catch the cluetrain.  http://www.cluetrain.com
ALL programs are poems, it's just that not all programmers are poets.

I'd rather switch than fight.

Post by 2:1 » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >>  BTW I didn't ask for a tutorial I KNOW how it works. Sorry you spent
> >> so much time on it. Save it though it might come in handy some day.
> >Oh, sorry.

> Don't fret, I found it helpful.

Thanks

-Ed

--
Konrad Zuse should  recognised. He built the first      | Edward Rosten
binary digital computer (Z1, with floating point) the   | Engineer

commercial one (Z4).                                    | eng.ox.ac.uk

1. I'd rather not be farting around with linux - but rather USING it

I just had a really good system going with my debian box.  I can't tell you
how absolutely proud I was for getting my (supposedly) unsupported tdk
velocd cd writer working.  Printing to my HP USB printer works (albeit
not so great since I haven't yet farted around with my damn gamma.ps - what the
%*%?! is that all about?)  But I can say that printing from WinMe laptop
through samba as raw printer works okay (although it's dogshit
slow! And Dont tell me it's b/c of the printer - it works *MUCH* faster
with server is booted to WinXP.)

Im shit-out-of luck however - if I want to use the scanner. Simply put -
the modules are BROKEN.  If I am wrong - prove me wrong - tell me
honestly that you've gotten your HP PSC 750 working with scanning
functionality (and let me know so I can get it working too!)

Nevertheless - I was on top of the world... for two years I have been
dinking around with all this CRAP - but still then - I DID get it to
work - I can print and burn cd's - oh did I mention I can print?

Then... it all went to total shit - exactly for what reason - I have no
idea.  Some crap with Samba.  After dinking around for two
afternoons, I edited the lmhost file on the windows client and got it to work.

All in all - I am happy, yet emotionally scarred.  Now to get back to
what I am *SUPPOSED* to be working on - which is not this shit.

I am sooo looking forward to not having to dink around with all this
crap for a long time.... (hopefully).  I just wish I could get to the
point of USING linux instead of being PREOCCUPIED with configuration
files and what not.... and as far as using mandrake/kde or even
enlightenment desktop environment which are supposed to take care of all
these things for you - I think I'd rather use Microsoft Windows XP.
These environments are DOGSHIT SLOW on my AMDK6II 400MHz w/ 256MB RAM
where as Windows *ZIPS* without blinking.  To get a linux system *that*
responsive with the same hardware - I need to run fvwm or icewm (enter
configuration hell) ...

I just *LOVE*/hate linux.... if this post sounds psychotic - I'll be the
first to admit I've lost my mind...

hey ... how 'bout starting a new ng called comp.os.linux.frustration?

Like I said - I love/hate linux!

2. Need help with PLIP cable.

3. Can a msg queue be 'peeked' rather than 'read' ?

4. can access some sites, not others. HELP

5. $100m to fight HIV, $421m to fight Linux

6. Device or resource busy

7. fight with 'dialog'

8. Kill TCP connection

9. she'd rather tease dully than jump with Ayn's sticky pumpkin

10. Can a msg queue be 'peeked' rather than read ?

11. How to switch from 'GNOME' to 'KDE'?

12. SCO's CEO Says Buyout Could End Linux Fight

13. How to switch from 'GNOME' to 'KDE'?