NEW: Richard Stallman's speech on FSM & GNU/Linux

NEW: Richard Stallman's speech on FSM & GNU/Linux

Post by James Thornto » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:18:01

FYI: ArsDigita University made a RA streaming video of Richard
Stallman's speech on the Free Software Movement and the GNU/Linux
Operating System that he gave at ArsDigita University earlier this
month.

A link to the video is on the aduni website, and I have a link to it at
the top of http://www.jamesthornton.com/.

James Thornton

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

NEW: Richard Stallman's speech on FSM & GNU/Linux

Post by Salvador Peralt » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 12:11:33

Pretty lame bit of astroturfing.  Here's the link:

aduni.org/video/01-02-01Colloq1.ram

--

http://salvador.venice.ca.us

NEW: Richard Stallman's speech on FSM & GNU/Linux

Post by James Thornto » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 08:15:27

Quote:> FYI: ArsDigita University made a RA streaming video of Richard
> Stallman's speech on the Free Software Movement and the GNU/Linux
> Operating System that he gave at ArsDigita University earlier this
> month.

Here's the link...
http://aduni.org/video/01-02-01Colloq1.ram

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Bone » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 12:10:08

> FYI: ArsDigita University made a RA streaming video of Richard

                                   ^^                    ^^^^^^^
Quote:> Stallman's speech on the Free Software Movement...

  ^^^^^^^^                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What's wrong with this picture? ( The irony is killing me )

----
Bones

Post by Ken Klavoni » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 13:26:42

> > FYI: ArsDigita University made a RA streaming video of Richard
>                                    ^^                    ^^^^^^^
> > Stallman's speech on the Free Software Movement...
>   ^^^^^^^^                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> What's wrong with this picture? ( The irony is killing me )

Yep, that struck me as odd as well. Particularly considering the great
pains that RMS has gone to in the past to avoid entanglements with
non-free protocols. For instance, there are a couple of his past
speeches on fsf.org that are encoded as OGG Vorbis files, as even MP3's
are too non-free for him.

I can only assume that this video was made and distributed without RMS's
involvement.

1. Linux and the GNU system by Richard Stallman

[...]

Unfortunately what he said (afterwards IIRC) is not quite the same as
what he _did_.

From what he says you would expect config.guess to do something like:

        if (kernel detected == linux)
        {
                if (user tools detected == gnu)
                        report system as lignux / linux-gnu
                else if (user tools detected == bsd)

                ... etc.
        }

What he actually did was:

        if (kernel detected == linux)
                report system as lignux

AFAIR it was what he did much more than what he said which caused the
upset.

ray

--

2. Not getting 56Kbps connection between 2 56Kbps modems

3. Troubles with X and Diamond Stealth 64 (868)

4. Richard Stallman On FOSS GNU And Freedom

5. iBook + Linux

6. HP-UX and the GNU system (not by Richard Stallman)

7. Ping oddities...

8. Richard Stallman's CACM article...

9. Richard Stallman's Opinion

10. Richard Stallmans's Greatest Speeches.

11. Richard Stallman was at my University!

12. Richard Stallman arrested by FBI for Terrorism