M$ did come aboard UNIX camp...

Post by JoeX10 » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

M$ is aboard the UNIX camp.  A number of years they created a UNIX like OS
called XENIX.  But it no doubt sucks just as bad as win.

M$ did come aboard UNIX camp...

Post by Ciara » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>M$ is aboard the UNIX camp.  A number of years they created a
UNIX like OS
>called XENIX.  But it no doubt sucks just as bad as win.

They didnt create it... they bought it off SCO.

Cheers,
Ciaran

M$ did come aboard UNIX camp...

Post by Ciara » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>M$ is aboard the UNIX camp.  A number of years they created a
UNIX like OS
>called XENIX.  But it no doubt sucks just as bad as win.

Eeeek... I meant ATT... it was a port of ATT to the 86 platform
if I recall... they sold it to SCO and SCO made the Xenix/386
versions.

Cheers,
Ciaran, whose brain is going.

M$ did come aboard UNIX camp...

Post by pac4.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >M$ is aboard the UNIX camp. A number of years they created a
> UNIX like OS
> >called XENIX. But it no doubt sucks just as bad as win.

> They didnt create it... they bought it off SCO.

> Cheers,
> Ciaran

El wrongo.  The first version of Xenix, 2.3, was released in 1980 by
Microsoft. XENIX 3.0, released in 1983 by Microsoft, included features
from 4.1BSD and AT&T's System III.  The last Microsoft version was 5.0.

Microsoft then sold it to SCO.  SCO modified Xenix 5.0 which then became
SCO Server.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

M$ did come aboard UNIX camp...

Post by Ron Reede » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > >M$ is aboard the UNIX camp. A number of years they created a
> > UNIX like OS
> > >called XENIX. But it no doubt sucks just as bad as win.

> > They didnt create it... they bought it off SCO.

> > Cheers,
> > Ciaran

> El wrongo.  The first version of Xenix, 2.3, was released in 1980 by
> Microsoft. XENIX 3.0, released in 1983 by Microsoft, included features
> from 4.1BSD and AT&T's System III.  The last Microsoft version was 5.0.

> Microsoft then sold it to SCO.  SCO modified Xenix 5.0 which then became
> SCO Server.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

This is interesting... I've got a book "Xenix at work" by Microsoft Press.
Edited by Joanne Woodcock and Michael Halvorson (No authors - Kind of like the
OS)

Considering the time frame - I refuse to believe that MS wrote this thing in
House...
MS couldn't even write DOS at the time... They bought it from somewhere - I'd
bet my
life on it.

The book just says that: "Microsoft Announced, in 1980 a faster smoother,
trimmer verion of UNIX."

It doesn't say if the early version used 8080 or 8086 arch. comp.  The 8086
still didn't support protected mode execution. So, this still, could not have
been a real OS, in the sense that an OS controls access to resources (Memory,
files, CPU, etc.).

There is one cute quote though (from the intro. pg 11):

As other operating systems evolve, they will begin to emulate more of the UNIX
features than they do now.
As in any commercial environment, it's the nature of the beast to turn toward
whatever is working best.
But, XENIX - your XENIX - is already a faithful implementation of UNIX, in form,
format, and command.
For the multiuser, multitasking environment, tommorrow is here today.
XENIX is now what most other operating systems will become.
   And now has always been better than later.

Presumeably copyright MS - 1986.

--

+-------------------------------+-------------------------------+

| Denver Technical Support      | Phone: (303) 389-4408         |
| Western Geophysical Company   | Fax:   (303) 595-0667         |
+-------------------------------+-------------------------------+

M$ did come aboard UNIX camp...

Post by Mathias Grimmberge » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> M$ is aboard the UNIX camp.  A number of years they created a UNIX like OS
> called XENIX.  But it no doubt sucks just as bad as win.

MS didn't create it from scratch.

The "Magic Garden" book says it was a descendant of AT&T System III.
Some of the features in XENIX/386 made it to SVR4.0. I have seen it: can
you imagine the shock of logging in to a Sinix box (Siemens' flavour of
SVR4) and seeing it say something like "Copyright 19WX-19YZ Microsoft"?
;-)

MS sold XENIX to SCO. So I guess it doesn't suck anymore (simply because
it ceased to exist). BTW, there is a saying that "All software sucks"
and this is as close to the truth as we will ever get (all hardware
sucks too...).

MGri
--

Eat flaming death, evil Micro$oft mongrels!

M$ did come aboard UNIX camp...

Post by Dirk Gentl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

They sold it to SCO because it was too complex!

--
Jeff Lacy

Linux Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> > >M$ is aboard the UNIX camp. A number of years they created a
> > UNIX like OS
> > >called XENIX. But it no doubt sucks just as bad as win.

> > They didnt create it... they bought it off SCO.

> > Cheers,
> > Ciaran

> El wrongo.  The first version of Xenix, 2.3, was released in 1980 by
> Microsoft. XENIX 3.0, released in 1983 by Microsoft, included features
> from 4.1BSD and AT&T's System III.  The last Microsoft version was 5.0.

> Microsoft then sold it to SCO.  SCO modified Xenix 5.0 which then became
> SCO Server.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

M$ did come aboard UNIX camp...

Post by BSD Bo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> M$ is aboard the UNIX camp.  A number of years they created a UNIX like OS
>> called XENIX.  But it no doubt sucks just as bad as win.
> MS didn't create it from scratch.

It was an AT&T port to the 68K processors, too.  A bit later they had
the 386 ports, if memory is correct.

Quote:> The "Magic Garden" book says it was a descendant of AT&T System III.
> Some of the features in XENIX/386 made it to SVR4.0. I have seen it: can
> you imagine the shock of logging in to a Sinix box (Siemens' flavour of
> SVR4) and seeing it say something like "Copyright 19WX-19YZ Microsoft"?
> ;-)

That is a new version.  The one I have is 1.01 or something like that
for 68K processors, but dating from around 1980.  It was written for
the Trash80 Model 16 with 68K boards, one or two 8 inch floppers,
and one or two 8M hard drives.  Vague memory suggests it was almost
a straight V7 port, but I don't remember much more than that, since
it has been almost 20 years since I last ran it.  We thought we were
``up-town'' then.....(:+\\.....  It beat CP/M.....  Somewhere, I still
have the disks, but they are probably unreadable by now.

Bob

M$ did come aboard UNIX camp...

Post by Andy Newm » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>It doesn't say if the early version used 8080 or 8086 arch. comp.

Probably neither. Tandy sold a box running Xenix and ISTR it had
a 68k (and a Z80 for I/O). I used a PDP-11 running Xenix in the mid
to late '80s.  But there were 80x86 versions, a colleague run it on
his Toshiba '386 laptop about 10 years ago.

--
Chuck Berry lied about the promised land

M$ did come aboard UNIX camp...

Post by JoeX10 » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm unsure if they still run UNIX largely but a close friend that worked at M$
as a programmer (he hated it but it paid well).  During one of our talks over
OS and a little on NT he told me they use(d) UNIX for servers.  I'm not sure I
want to know how he knows this but like I said i'm unsure if they still run
UNIX but, they did.

M$ did come aboard UNIX camp...

Post by AMF » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I'm unsure if they still run UNIX largely but a close friend that worked at M$
>as a programmer (he hated it but it paid well).  During one of our talks over
>OS and a little on NT he told me they use(d) UNIX for servers.  I'm not sure I
>want to know how he knows this but like I said i'm unsure if they still run
>UNIX but, they did.

MICROSOFT had some Unix working which they later sold to SCO.
Other versions were sold in Europe and Bill was collecting royalties
even thought the original code was not there. That's why he got pie
in the face a couple of years ago in Brussels...

AMF