Windows Server 2003 RC2 is now available for download

Windows Server 2003 RC2 is now available for download

Post by Billy O'Conno » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 07:46:57

Holy shit, they sent me back an email saying I could download this
thing.

Well, I *think* that's what it says, as I try to read between all the
gibberish that micros~1 calls html tags.

What should I do?  Should I get it?   What would I do with it?  Will
it come with any development tools?

--
Billy O'Connor
Editor, Beyond Linux From Scratch   http://beyond.linuxfromscratch.org

Windows Server 2003 RC2 is now available for download

Post by LinuxMacX Gu » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 14:11:40

I have a tendency to try all Microsoft server stuff and put it through
it's paces. But it probably takes an insane amount of hardware to run this
thing efficiently. My job always gets the latest MS server editions to test
functions, so when the final is released I will burn a copy to test.

Post by Brainfried Sysadmi » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 16:06:32

> Holy shit, they sent me back an email saying I could download this
> thing.

> Well, I *think* that's what it says, as I try to read between all the
> gibberish that micros~1 calls html tags.

> What should I do?  Should I get it?   What would I do with it?  Will it
> come with any development tools?

Go ahead and get it.  Know thy enemy!  I've set up an RC-1 mini-network
for one of our consulting projects.  I'll tinker with RC-2 when I get a
chance.  Mostly I want to see how secure it is.  From what I understand,
it's supposed to come with everything locked down.

I hope I don't*too many people off, but Windows does have its good
points.  The Microsoft business practices are the biggest problem.

I prefer a more pragmatic approach.  Use the best tool for the task.
Being an agnostic helps I think.  (religion wise and computer holy wars
wise)  I am a Linux advocate, but I do temper it with reality.  There is
no perfect solution or we'd all be using it and not be having this
discussion.

Microsoft isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  Keep tabs on them at a
minimum.

Linux is displacing Unix more than anything, but is stifling Windows
server growth.  For the moment, Linux is outpacing Windows growth as far
as servers are concerned.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

I prefer to know as many technologies as possible.  How is one to make
informed comments if they don't know all sides of the argument?

Post by d2003x » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 16:42:05

> Holy shit, they sent me back an email saying I could download this
> thing.

> Well, I *think* that's what it says, as I try to read between all the
> gibberish that micros~1 calls html tags.

> What should I do?

Nothing.

Quote:> Should I get it?

No, don't waste your bandwidth. It's just a piece of shit.

Quote:> What would I do with it?

Hah, it should be "What can it do for you?", and answer is no, obviously.

Quote:> Will it come with any development tools?

Yes, if you would like to pay any of $$$, for the wreck.

--
d2003xx
Non-free software is wrong and we do not want it in our lives -- RMS

Windows Server 2003 RC2 is now available for download

Post by Official COLA Moderator MV » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 17:06:24

Quote:

> Holy shit, they sent me back an email saying I could download this
> thing.

> Well, I *think* that's what it says, as I try to read between all the
> gibberish that micros~1 calls html tags.

> What should I do?  Should I get it?   What would I do with it?  Will
> it come with any development tools?

Grab it, learn it inside and out if you want to be able to feed your family
in the next 10 years. Windows 2003 Server will rule the high end server and
mainframe markets. I recommend you become a Win 2003 Server guru, like an
MCSE if you want to be respected in the IT industry. Do not forget my words,
this is my professional advice.

BTW, I am typing this from home in Atlanta using a Compaq T30 thin client
connected to my office Win 2003 RC1 Terminal Server though a DSL line, these
guys at Redmond sure know how to bring us top notch quality software, no
wonder they're #1.

COLA Moderator, MCSE MVP

Post by Peter K?hlman » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 17:38:06

>> Holy shit, they sent me back an email saying I could download this
>> thing.

>> Well, I *think* that's what it says, as I try to read between all the
>> gibberish that micros~1 calls html tags.

>> What should I do?  Should I get it?   What would I do with it?  Will
>> it come with any development tools?

> Grab it, learn it inside and out if you want to be able to feed your
> family in the next 10 years. Windows 2003 Server will rule the high end
> server and mainframe markets. I recommend you become a Win 2003 Server
> guru, like an MCSE if you want to be respected in the IT industry. Do
> not forget my words, this is my professional advice.

When windows actually is able to run on mainframes, come back to us.
Until then, get lost, you idiot

Peter
--
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Post by Kenneth Down » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 18:29:46

>> Holy shit, they sent me back an email saying I could download this
>> thing.

>> Well, I *think* that's what it says, as I try to read between all the
>> gibberish that micros~1 calls html tags.

>> What should I do?  Should I get it?   What would I do with it?  Will it
>> come with any development tools?

> Go ahead and get it.  Know thy enemy!  I've set up an RC-1 mini-network
> for one of our consulting projects.  I'll tinker with RC-2 when I get a
> chance.  Mostly I want to see how secure it is.  From what I understand,
> it's supposed to come with everything locked down.

<snip>

Quote:

> Microsoft isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  Keep tabs on them at a
> minimum.

words of wisdom.

--
Ken
Thou Shalt Not Make a Machine In the Image of A Human Mind

Post by GreyClou » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 20:31:24

> > Holy shit, they sent me back an email saying I could download this
> > thing.

> > Well, I *think* that's what it says, as I try to read between all the
> > gibberish that micros~1 calls html tags.

> > What should I do?  Should I get it?   What would I do with it?  Will
> > it come with any development tools?

> Grab it, learn it inside and out if you want to be able to feed your family
> in the next 10 years. Windows 2003 Server will rule the high end server and
> mainframe markets. I recommend you become a Win 2003 Server guru, like an
> MCSE if you want to be respected in the IT industry. Do not forget my words,
> this is my professional advice.

> BTW, I am typing this from home in Atlanta using a Compaq T30 thin client
> connected to my office Win 2003 RC1 Terminal Server though a DSL line, these
> guys at Redmond sure know how to bring us top notch quality software, no
> wonder they're #1.

Sure you are.  Windows is losing server ground fast.  It's
the stupid licensing that is killing off sales.  This is a
big step back in time to the old Ivory Tower days.

Post by CyberDaemo » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 20:30:03

Brainfried Sysadmin said:

>> Holy shit, they sent me back an email saying I could download this
>> thing.

>> Well, I *think* that's what it says, as I try to read between all the
>> gibberish that micros~1 calls html tags.

>> What should I do?  Should I get it?   What would I do with it?  Will it
>> come with any development tools?

> Go ahead and get it.  Know thy enemy!  I've set up an RC-1 mini-network
> for one of our consulting projects.  I'll tinker with RC-2 when I get a
> chance.  Mostly I want to see how secure it is.  From what I understand,
> it's supposed to come with everything locked down.

I, too, have decided that Windows Server 2003 is at least worth a look.
"Know thy enemy" pretty much sums up the reason.  Haven't gone into it
enough to really judge it yet.
At least the IIS metabase is plain text (XML) in this one.

--
Stephen, king of the wicker people
 12:20pm  up 1 day, 12:15,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.07

College:
        The fountains of knowledge, where everyone goes to drink.

Windows Server 2003 RC2 is now available for download

Post by Jeff » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 21:03:04

Quote:> COLA Moderator, MCSE MVP

MCSE??? Arn't they giving those away with Happy Meals at McDonalds now? You
should go get a  real certification like the RHCE.

Windows Server 2003 RC2 is now available for download

Post by LinuxMacX Gu » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 21:45:52

The MCSE is the BIGGEST racket ever!!!
The company I work for (internationally known) pays more attention to
work history and doct*degrees.

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 10:06:24 -0500, "Official COLA Moderator MVP"

>> Holy shit, they sent me back an email saying I could download this
>> thing.

>> Well, I *think* that's what it says, as I try to read between all the
>> gibberish that micros~1 calls html tags.

>> What should I do?  Should I get it?   What would I do with it?  Will
>> it come with any development tools?

>Grab it, learn it inside and out if you want to be able to feed your family
>in the next 10 years. Windows 2003 Server will rule the high end server and
>mainframe markets. I recommend you become a Win 2003 Server guru, like an
>MCSE if you want to be respected in the IT industry. Do not forget my words,
>this is my professional advice.

>BTW, I am typing this from home in Atlanta using a Compaq T30 thin client
>connected to my office Win 2003 RC1 Terminal Server though a DSL line, these
>guys at Redmond sure know how to bring us top notch quality software, no
>wonder they're #1.

>COLA Moderator, MCSE MVP

Windows Server 2003 RC2 is now available for download

Post by paul cook » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 22:09:30

comp.os.linux.advocacy to propose the following:

> On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 10:06:24 -0500, "Official COLA Moderator MVP"

<SNIP>

>>COLA Moderator, MCSE MVP

> The MCSE is the BIGGEST racket ever!!!
> The company I work for (internationally known) pays more attention to
> work history and doct*degrees.

what, for server room reboot-jockeys??? the ones who roller skate from
server to server doing reboots...

--
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819

Windows Server 2003 RC2 is now available for download

Post by Brainfried Sysadmi » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 23:41:57

-snip-
Quote:

> Grab it, learn it inside and out if you want to be able to feed your family
> in the next 10 years. Windows 2003 Server will rule the high end server and
> mainframe markets. I recommend you become a Win 2003 Server guru, like an
> MCSE if you want to be respected in the IT industry. Do not forget my words,
> this is my professional advice.

-snip-

MCSE = door opener, that's all

Frankly, flash Linux on that resume and people will know you're hard-core
and not just another "Paper Tiger".

Post by jjj » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 23:58:00

>>> Holy shit, they sent me back an email saying I could download this
>>> thing.

>>> Well, I *think* that's what it says, as I try to read between all
>>> the gibberish that micros~1 calls html tags.

>>> What should I do?  Should I get it?   What would I do with it?  Will
>>> it come with any development tools?

>> Grab it, learn it inside and out if you want to be able to feed your
>> family in the next 10 years. Windows 2003 Server will rule the high
>> end server and mainframe markets. I recommend you become a Win 2003
>> Server guru, like an MCSE if you want to be respected in the IT
>> industry. Do not forget my words, this is my professional advice.

> When windows actually is able to run on mainframes, come back to us.

Does it need to?  You can achieve pretty good performance on Itanium.
http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_result_detail.asp?id=102121201

Quote:> Until then, get lost, you idiot

Windows Server 2003 RC2 is now available for download

Post by Brainfried Sysadmi » Mon, 20 Jan 2003 00:08:15

-clip-

Quote:

>> When windows actually is able to run on mainframes, come back to us.

> Does it need to?  You can achieve pretty good performance on Itanium.
> http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_result_detail.asp?id=102121201

>> Until then, get lost, you idiot

Yeeeeeehaw.  A yet to be released Windows OS....  You dare not really run
it for production until SP1 comes out anyway.  Totally and completely
unproven.

Now, who's the idiot?