(OT) Microsoft Discloses Software Flaw

Post by Jim Lasco » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 20:43:20

I cant believe it... the Ground isnt shaking .... No lighting and
Locust storms have appeared........The rivers and seas havent turned
red with *...
Can it be that M$ is finally owning up to their design flaws.....
NAH they just got caught again ;)
Jim

P.S. Notice the Smooth blend of FUD with the words sophisticated
hackers

WASHINGTON -- Microsoft acknowledged a serious flaw Wednesday in its
Internet server software that could allow sophisticated hackers to
seize control of websites, steal information and use vulnerable
computers to attack others online.

http://www.veryComputer.com/,1282,53173,00.html

Post by surrende » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 22:51:27

> I cant believe it... the Ground isnt shaking .... No lighting and
> Locust storms have appeared........The rivers and seas havent turned
> red with *...
> Can it be that M$ is finally owning up to their design flaws.....
> NAH they just got caught again ;)
> Jim

> P.S. Notice the Smooth blend of FUD with the words sophisticated
> hackers

> WASHINGTON -- Microsoft acknowledged a serious flaw Wednesday in its
> Internet server software that could allow sophisticated hackers to
> seize control of websites, steal information and use vulnerable
> computers to attack others online.

> http://www.veryComputer.com/,1282,53173,00.html

s/sophisticated hackers/any script kiddy

--
surrender

To e-mail me, remove the 'W' from my e-mail address

(OT) Microsoft Discloses Software Flaw

Post by Mike » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 23:29:46

Quote:> I cant believe it... the Ground isnt shaking .... No lighting and
> Locust storms have appeared........The rivers and seas havent turned
> red with *...

Well, now that you mention it, it *is* raining an awful lot here.

...oh wait, it's winter.  Never mind. :-)

Quote:> P.S. Notice the Smooth blend of FUD with the words sophisticated
> hackers

Well, you have to admit, the realistic version would probably cause a
bit of a panic.

+ WASHINGTON -- Microsoft acknowledged a serious flaw Wednesday in its
+ Internet server software that could allow 12 year old kids to
+ seize control of websites, steal information and use vulnerable
+ computers to attack others online.

I also liked this quote from the article:

+ "[...] were vulnerable to an unrelated problem affecting Microsoft's
+ technology to connect to the Internet over phone lines."

Gee, I didn't realise Microsoft invented PPP!
--
Mike.  /* remove "-spam" to mail me */

Post by Simon Cook » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 02:38:17

> + "[...] were vulnerable to an unrelated problem affecting Microsoft's
> + technology to connect to the Internet over phone lines."

> Gee, I didn't realise Microsoft invented PPP!

They didn't. The article is referring to the MS RAS Server.

Simon

(OT) Microsoft Discloses Software Flaw

Post by Sinister Midge » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 03:05:49

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 06:43:20 -0500, Jim Lascola claimed:

Quote:> I cant believe it... the Ground isnt shaking .... No lighting and
> Locust storms have appeared........The rivers and seas havent turned
> red with *...
> Can it be that M$ is finally owning up to their design flaws.....
> NAH they just got caught again ;)
> Jim

> P.S. Notice the Smooth blend of FUD with the words sophisticated
> hackers

> WASHINGTON -- Microsoft acknowledged a serious flaw Wednesday in its
> Internet server software that could allow sophisticated hackers to
> seize control of websites, steal information and use vulnerable
> computers to attack others online.

> http://www.veryComputer.com/,1282,53173,00.html

One has to wonder how many months/years this has been known already. Now
that there's a patch, it either means the news was about to break and
become widespread, it was discovered to fix the problem accidentally, it
doesn't really fix anything, or the problem doesn't really exist.

In M$-speak, "sopisticated" means hasn't asked on a mailing list how to get
their default icons back in at least one week. "Expert" means they can
tell somebody how to get their default icons back.

--
C:\WINDOWS\RUN
C:\SYSTEM\CRASH

Post by alt » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 09:00:47

>> + "[...] were vulnerable to an unrelated problem affecting Microsoft's
>> + technology to connect to the Internet over phone lines."

>> Gee, I didn't realise Microsoft invented PPP!

> They didn't. The article is referring to the MS RAS Server.

> Simon

Isn't that the one that doesn't work worth beans and is incompatible with
pretty much everything?

--
Donovan Hill
Linux: Because you can!

Post by Simon Cook » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 09:18:37

>>> + "[...] were vulnerable to an unrelated problem affecting
>>> Microsoft's + technology to connect to the Internet over phone
>>> lines."

>>> Gee, I didn't realise Microsoft invented PPP!

>> They didn't. The article is referring to the MS RAS Server.

>> Simon

> Isn't that the one that doesn't work worth beans and is incompatible
> with pretty much everything?

YMMV.

I've not played with RAS Server (I've only played with the RAS client
stuff a little - and mostly that's just SLIP/PPP/whatever dialup stuff
anyway -- typically when doing networking stuff you don't care how they
get their connection, just that they have one and it's pointed at the
right place).... so I can't comment.

Simon

(OT) Microsoft Discloses Software Flaw

Post by Johan Lindquis » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 09:49:10

Fri, 14 Jun 2002 at 09:00 GMT, peering quizzically at his shoes,

>> They didn't. The article is referring to the MS RAS Server.

> Isn't that the one that doesn't work worth beans and is
> incompatible with pretty much everything?

Actually, that's one of the few ms products that I have a 100% success
rate with. I have used it exactly in one instance, an NT 3.51 server
connecting exactly one external user to exactly one server (itself)
via exactly one modem. Worked like a charm. ;)

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.      Perth ---> *
  9:37am  up 14 days,  3:07,  3 users,  load average: 1.16, 1.22, 1.22

(OT) Microsoft Discloses Software Flaw

Post by Ilari Liusvaar » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 23:38:25

Datagram from surrender incoming on netlink socket

Quote:> s/sophisticated hackers/any script kiddy

It is probably missing '/' at end. The syntax of sed string
replace is:

s/search for/replace with/

-Ilari
--
Linux LK_Perkele_IV9 2.4.18 #8 SMP Thu Mar 14 19:42:25 EET 2002 i686 unknown
 12:37am  up 4 days, 10:46,  4 users,  load average: 0.18, 0.15, 0.06

Post by michael brow » Sun, 16 Jun 2002 02:00:25

> Datagram from surrender incoming on netlink socket

>> s/sophisticated hackers/any script kiddy

> It is probably missing '/' at end. The syntax of sed string
> replace is:

> s/search for/replace with/

Naw, it's an ed command.  The final '/' is optional.  When you leave it
off (IOW, terminate the sequence with a LF instead of the '/'), it also
causes ed to display the line with the change applied.  Neato.  ;-)

--
michael brown

"In the land of the blind, he who has one eye is king"