Barnes & Noble Best Seller List

Post by ab.. » Sun, 27 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I've been wailing on the comp section guy at my local B&N store to stock
more Linux titles. Now, when he sees me he just groans and throws his
hands up.

Tonight, I went in to exchange an HTML book I received as a gift and he
dragged me to the B&N Best Seller Shelf at the front of the store. Smack
dab in the middle of the display was SAM's Teach Yourself Linux in 21
Days.

He told me that there was a sudden surge in Linux sales in the last two
weeks and that the SAMs book was THE number one seller in the whole comp
section - NATIONWIDE. Hmmmmmm...

Post by Rod Roar » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>I've been wailing on the comp section guy at my local B&N store to stock
>more Linux titles. Now, when he sees me he just groans and throws his
>hands up.
>Tonight, I went in to exchange an HTML book I received as a gift and he
>dragged me to the B&N Best Seller Shelf at the front of the store. Smack
>dab in the middle of the display was SAM's Teach Yourself Linux in 21
>Days.

Don't you mean Teach Yourself Linux in 24 Hours?

Quote:>He told me that there was a sudden surge in Linux sales in the last two
>weeks and that the SAMs book was THE number one seller in the whole comp
>section - NATIONWIDE. Hmmmmmm...

A quick trip to barnesandnoble.com would seem to suggest this is baloney.
But maybe that's a whole different ball of wax from the retail stores.
Anyone able to confirm?

-- Rod

Post by BR » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> >I've been wailing on the comp section guy at my local B&N store to stock
> >more Linux titles. Now, when he sees me he just groans and throws his
> >hands up.

> >Tonight, I went in to exchange an HTML book I received as a gift and he
> >dragged me to the B&N Best Seller Shelf at the front of the store. Smack
> >dab in the middle of the display was SAM's Teach Yourself Linux in 21
> >Days.

> Don't you mean Teach Yourself Linux in 24 Hours?

> >He told me that there was a sudden surge in Linux sales in the last two
> >weeks and that the SAMs book was THE number one seller in the whole comp
> >section - NATIONWIDE. Hmmmmmm...

> A quick trip to barnesandnoble.com would seem to suggest this is baloney.
> But maybe that's a whole different ball of wax from the retail stores.
> Anyone able to confirm?

He MIGHT have a point. I was at B&N over the weekend, and there was one nice
[separate] section filled with Teach yourself Sam's books, including Linux.

The section for Unix books had one shelf filled with Linux books.
The top and bottom had Unix books. The majority of that section was MS books of
some type.

Quote:

> -- Rod

It is impossible to foresee the consequences of being clever.
{Christopher Strachey}

Post by Craig Kell » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

->>He told me that there was a sudden surge in Linux sales in the last two
->>weeks and that the SAMs book was THE number one seller in the whole comp
->>section - NATIONWIDE. Hmmmmmm...
->
->A quick trip to barnesandnoble.com would seem to suggest this is baloney.
->But maybe that's a whole different ball of wax from the retail stores.
->Anyone able to confirm?

Here's the top-25 online:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/subjects/computer/tt_computer.asp

Post by ab.. » Thu, 01 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> A quick trip to barnesandnoble.com would seem to suggest this is baloney.
> But maybe that's a whole different ball of wax from the retail stores.
> Anyone able to confirm?

> -- Rod

Yes, it is TYLI 24 Hours, not 21 Days. Mea Culpa, however,
barnesandnoble.com is a very different entity than Barnes and Noble
Booksellers, Inc.

I speak the truth.