Linux Standards?

Post by Eric Woo » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Give me you thoughts (and flames if you want):

1) Is there an OLE standard between Linux applications?
ie. Copy & Paste objects between apps.

2) Is there a nice file manager which (like Windows Explorer) for Linux?
One that can right click and "export" or "mount" a directory.  One with
FTP, SAMBA, and Appletalk support to where you can completely control
every aspect of sharing and copying files from any number of machines.

3) Is there any nice development packages like Visual C++, Visual BASIC,
Visual FoxPro, etc?

Comming from a Windows background and having the luxury of #3 that's why
many Windows apps are pumped out each year.  I'd like to do the same for
Linux!

-EW

Linux Standards?

Post by Larry Pisan » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Well...I'm no developer, but this is what I was able to find... anyone
else?

> Give me you thoughts (and flames if you want):

> 1) Is there an OLE standard between Linux applications?
> ie. Copy & Paste objects between apps.

Do a search for OffiX,  This seems to be slowly  becoming a sort of
defacto DND standard in the linux world.

Quote:

> 2) Is there a nice file manager which (like Windows Explorer) for
> Linux?
> One that can right click and "export" or "mount" a directory.  One
> with
> FTP, SAMBA, and Appletalk support to where you can completely control
> every aspect of sharing and copying files from any number of machines.

There are a bunch of good filemanagers out there. Check out TkDesk for
one.  I'm not big in this area (I'm not one to tlet the app control
"every aspect of sharing and copying files from any number of
machines."  I use a unix varient because,among other reasons, it's let's
ME control IT, not the other way around) ... but I have seen a "Linux
Explorer" and there are some othersfor AfterStep/WindowMaker.  I invite
all to throw in any others.

Quote:> 3) Is there any nice development packages like Visual C++, Visual
> BASIC,
> Visual FoxPro, etc?

 look here:  http://www.chariott.com/linapp6.html#tools

Quote:> Comming from a Windows background and having the luxury of #3 that's
> why
> many Windows apps are pumped out each year.  I'd like to do the same
> for
> Linux!

> -EW

Larry Pisani

Linux Standards?

:
: 1) Is there an OLE standard between Linux applications?
: ie. Copy & Paste objects between apps.
:
Under X it seems that that "highlight" and middle mouse button seems
to be a standard for copy & paste, but there really is none for Console
apps (Unless you use GPM, which I heard is better, but I will stay away
from it for a while longer. =)

: 2) Is there a nice file manager which (like Windows Explorer) for Linux?
: One that can right click and "export" or "mount" a directory.  One with
: FTP, SAMBA, and Appletalk support to where you can completely control
: every aspect of sharing and copying files from any number of machines.
:
Not that I know of yet.

: 3) Is there any nice development packages like Visual C++, Visual BASIC,
: Visual FoxPro, etc?
:
: Comming from a Windows background and having the luxury of #3 that's why
: many Windows apps are pumped out each year.  I'd like to do the same for
: Linux!

I came from learning visual programming from the NeXT world.  And VC++, VB,
and VFP fall flat on the face compared to the easy of programming on
"Interface Builder" (After a good 20 minute lesson. =).  I know that GNUStep
is a port of OpenStep, but I'm unsure how far it is (www.gnustep.org?).  I
know there are some Motif GUI builders...then there is Zinc.  Which I
thought I saw Linux support on one of the copies I saw around world.
Never tried it.  Zinc is a crossplatform development kit for UNIX/Windows.

I wish there was more of #3.  I could live without #1 & #2 for a while
longer.

Linux Standards?

Post by David M. Co » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>1) Is there an OLE standard between Linux applications?
>ie. Copy & Paste objects between apps.

Not unless you use all motif apps.  OffiX DND is becoming more popular,
but I'm not a fan of drag 'n' drop myself.  And then there's CDE.

Quote:>2) Is there a nice file manager which (like Windows Explorer) for Linux?
>One that can right click and "export" or "mount" a directory.  One with
>FTP, SAMBA, and Appletalk support to where you can completely control
>every aspect of sharing and copying files from any number of machines.

FileRunner and mc will do FTP.  Things like SAMBA and NFS should be
transparent to the user.  Redhat's fstool allows you to manage NFS mounts,
but that's not really the province of a file manager.

Quote:>3) Is there any nice development packages like Visual C++, Visual BASIC,
>Visual FoxPro, etc?

For free there is VisualTcl, which I've found useful, and something called
FreeBuilder for Java, which I haven't tried yet.  I believe wxWindows has
a builder app. There are a few commercial packages for "visual"
programming in C/C++/motif and BASIC.  See

http://www.xnet.com/~blatura/linapps.shtml

I find XEmacs+Python to be a very quick development environment.  See

http://www.kernel-panic.com/user_files/dmcook/desktop.html

Dave Cook

Linux Standards?

Post by Ben Lindstr » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

:
: >
[...]
As long as I can still go back to my standbys  I don't mind having
a pretty "GUI" control panel for configuration.  NeXTStep was this way.
You have a nice GUI tools to configure the system, but they removed
all your abilities to manage the system by hand if you used their tools. =(

Linux Standards?

Post by Tracy R. Re » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

: 1) Is there an OLE standard between Linux applications?
: ie. Copy & Paste objects between apps.

No standard yet, but the technology is being worked on.

: 2) Is there a nice file manager which (like Windows Explorer) for Linux?
: One that can right click and "export" or "mount" a directory.  One with
: FTP, SAMBA, and Appletalk support to where you can completely control
: every aspect of sharing and copying files from any number of machines.

There are many nice file managers. Exporting and mounting directories and
handling file sharing are not the job of the file manager. There are
configuration files for all of those things which can be tweaked and are
pretty straightforward but nothing pretty and GUI.

: 3) Is there any nice development packages like Visual C++, Visual BASIC,
: Visual FoxPro, etc?

Yep. g++ and xforms makes for a nice graphical development environment.

: Comming from a Windows background and having the luxury of #3 that's why
: many Windows apps are pumped out each year.  I'd like to do the same for
: Linux!

Many unix apps are pumped out each year as well.

----------
Tracy Reed
http://ultraviolet.org
http://www.linux.org - Escape the Gates of Hell

Linux Standards?

Post by Kenneth R. Kinde » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

The email message you see in the headers is bogus. To prevent news group

get my email address manually. <g>

> Give me you thoughts (and flames if you want):

> 1) Is there an OLE standard between Linux applications?
> ie. Copy & Paste objects between apps.

I'm not sure what you mean. There IS and always has been communications
between programs, like DDE in the Windows camp, without the crashing.
<g> X has a clipboard...

Quote:> 2) Is there a nice file manager which (like Windows Explorer) for Linux?
> One that can right click and "export" or "mount" a directory.  One with
> FTP, SAMBA, and Appletalk support to where you can completely control
> every aspect of sharing and copying files from any number of machines.

There are TONS of graphical file managers. For charecter mode, there
MidNight Commander, which is a clone of Norten Commander. It's great.
For X, there is lots, like File Runner. Now, both of those support FTP,
but if your network file system is mounted on the file system,
everything can use it. Why would you want <chock> AppleTalk anyway?
hehehehe

Quote:

> 3) Is there any nice development packages like Visual C++, Visual BASIC,
> Visual FoxPro, etc?

WINDOERFUL. Infact, Linux comes with lots of compilers. On the IDE end,
there's Window Programming Environment. It's like Borland/DOS's IDE, and
wonderful. For all you visual basic overs, we have a much more powerful
sollution -- TCL/TK. I have a program called Visual TCL/TK program that
provides a "draw your dialog" IDE much like VB's. Without the
100,000,000,000mb on your hard drive, and eighty trillion mag DLLs.

Quote:> Comming from a Windows background and having the luxury of #3 that's why
> many Windows apps are pumped out each year.  I'd like to do the same for
> Linux!

I think, if you're open minded and can spend a little time learning a
new system, you'll be very happy with Linux!

Linux Standards?

Post by Robert Brockw » Sun, 22 Jun 1997 04:00:00

: Under X it seems that that "highlight" and middle mouse button seems
: to be a standard for copy & paste, but there really is none for Console
: apps (Unless you use GPM, which I heard is better, but I will stay away
: from it for a while longer. =)

Why stay away from gpm?  It uses the same interface (middle button,etc) as
the X cut-n-paste.  It is decended form selection which was around when i
started using Linux 3 years ago, so it must be stable software by now :-)
Cheers,
        -Robert

1. Call For Action: Linux needs a Linux Standard Committee

We need some sort of standard compatibillities among all flavours of
linux.

Like we have /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin.../sbin, /usr/sbin,
/usr/local/sbin..., we should have some guideline as which is going
where.  For one, I don't like /lib and /lib/module sitting in /
partition.

We can have a committee setting standard for this. People don't have to
follow those standards, but we do have some guidelines.

Funding can come from industry, from linux vendors and hardware
vendors.  It structure can be similar to United Nation, countries
contribute to it, but it acting independently.  US$ 500k annually might
be enough for the initial operation.

We don't want linux evolved like unix, with linux_AIX, linux_Ultrix,
linux_sun, linux_sysv, linux_bsd, linux_new_redhat.....

People might comment that the problem with standard is too many
standards.  But we do need some standard with linux.

Having standard so linux can have a better chance against other
operating systems.

/ming

2. Multiple outputs from a single automake/autoconf tree

3. Linux Standards Base

4. JFS for linux?

5. The Linux Standards Base: for public review ...

6. Increasing Shared Memory space

7. Installing COREL Linux Standard Edition

8. Netboot with Intel 486 clients

9. FHS in Linux Standard Base conflicts with LinuxPPC?

10. Where is The " Linux Standards list "

11. installing Corel Linux Standard

12. Linux Standard Base

13. To add to LINUX STANDARD