Linux.org, gnome.org and linux.com

Post by Tan Siong Hu » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 16:57:58

I heard that Lnux is more stable, but I pay constant visit (every day) to
these 3 sites, www.linux.com, www.linux.org and www.gnome.org and the
gnotices in the www.gnome.org site, what I get is that these web site
frequently run out of order, time are I can't access this sites very often,
when compared t www.microsoft.com that only out of service for a very rare
basis, I wonder what's wrong with these Linux hosted sites, problem with
bandwidth? I don't know.....

Linux.org, gnome.org and linux.com

Post by Matthias Wark » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 21:30:58

It was the Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:57:58 +0800...

Quote:>  I heard that Lnux is more stable, but I pay constant visit (every day) to
>  these 3 sites, www.linux.com, www.linux.org and www.gnome.org and the
>  gnotices in the www.gnome.org site, what I get is that these web site
>  frequently run out of order, time are I can't access this sites very often,
>  when compared t www.microsoft.com that only out of service for a very rare
>  basis, I wonder what's wrong with these Linux hosted sites, problem with
>  bandwidth? I don't know.....

Yes, exactly. Microsoft has money to pay for tons of bandwidth. As for
gnome.org, I'm rather well-informed, and bandwidth has been a
chronical problem (but so has disk space...). Free software projects
are simply not as well off as Microsoft.

news.gnome.org is notoriously flaky because it's:
- probably the most popular GNOME subsite
- nearly completely dynamic
- running antediluvial versions of Zope and Squishdot
- sometimes attacked by idiots

The version issue is supposed to be solved soon.

mawa
--
Only the Objectivists have an answer to all our problems, and it's
wrong.                                                 -- Hans Huettel

Post by Aaron R. Kulki » Sat, 14 Apr 2001 00:35:51

> I heard that Lnux is more stable, but I pay constant visit (every day) to
> these 3 sites, www.linux.com, www.linux.org and www.gnome.org and the
> gnotices in the www.gnome.org site, what I get is that these web site
> frequently run out of order, time are I can't access this sites very often,
> when compared t www.microsoft.com that only out of service for a very rare
> basis, I wonder what's wrong with these Linux hosted sites, problem with
> bandwidth? I don't know.....

Probably...because from my location (in the US, there's never a problem).

Microsoft probably has servers that are more local to Malaysia
than the linux sites you listed (which are in the US and Western Europe).

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

K: Truth in advertising:
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

    you are lazy, stupid people"

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

   *ery while concurrently committing *ery with Tammy Hahn.

   her behavior improves.

   ...despite (C) above.

   direction that she doesn't like.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Linux.org, gnome.org and linux.com

Post by Matthew Gardine » Sat, 14 Apr 2001 14:53:16

<snype>

I am in New Zealand, and I have never had any problems reaching those
sites.  Malaysia has a very flaky Internet backbone, however, very soon,
you will find the quality will improve with a new fibre optic back bone
that is currently being laid.

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operater from Hell)

If you donot like it go [#rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

Post by Aaron R. Kulki » Sun, 15 Apr 2001 14:50:21

> <snype>

> I am in New Zealand, and I have never had any problems reaching those
> sites.  Malaysia has a very flaky Internet backbone, however, very soon,

Wouldn't have anything to do with that war, would it?

Quote:> you will find the quality will improve with a new fibre optic back bone
> that is currently being laid.

> Matthew Gardiner

> --
> I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operater from Hell)

> If you donot like it go [#rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer
DNRC Minister of all I survey
ICQ # 3056642

K: Truth in advertising:
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

    you are lazy, stupid people"

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

   *ery while concurrently committing *ery with Tammy Hahn.

   her behavior improves.

   ...despite (C) above.

   direction that she doesn't like.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Linux.org, gnome.org and linux.com

Post by Matthew Gardine » Sun, 15 Apr 2001 20:24:36

Nope, its the *ing fisherman constantly cutting the *y cable.
Example of this stupidity was experienced a few months ago, which bought
the international connectivity in Aussie and Asia to a crawl.  A company
currently laying what it calls, "the ring of fire", which will be a
fibre optic, intellegent network that will provide realible access to
the internet for local ISP's.

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operater from Hell)

If you donot like it go [#rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

1. Are x.org and xfree86.org dead?

I just tired www.x.org, www.xfree86.org, ftp.x.org and
ftp.xfree86.org, and the first two gave me a commercial site and the
second two were empty archives.

What's going on??  Where can I get standard X sources?

(I noticed the problem because I was looking for xfs sources.)

-Joel

2. >&n -> sh: 3: Bad file number

3. Apache.org, themes.org cracked

4. LILO problems

5. HELP: DNS - *.foo.org OK foo.org BAD

6. PCMCIA ethernet card problem

7. opensolaris-discuss-subscribe@opensolaris.org <opensolaris-discuss-subscribe@opensolaris.org>

8. blueyonder cable modems and linux

9. Decommissioning of www4.au.freebsd.org/ftp4.au.freebsd.org

10. linuxppc.org, penguinppc.org

11. tru64.org and openvms.org changes

12. openOffice.org announces openOffice.org 1.0

13. Compiling gnome.org tutorial applets